Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
..... But in my experience, if there is active logging happening, the rangers will post warning signs. .....
Now that is funny! My assumption when boondocking or sailing is that I am on my own.

I will agree that logging trucks pose less risk than vehicles with California tags when not on a freeway or if it is snowing.

I may not have a clue about surfing or smoking pot but I do know how to pass and drive in the snow.

California has become the 'no' state. In 50 years, only in California have I been told no by police for silly reasons. No you can not take your kids skiing in your 4wd because M & S (macho and stupid) is not stamped on your tires and no you can not sleep in your RV because there is a 'no parking 2am to 4 am' sign.

The only time I expect to see a 'ranger' is if I am paying to stay in a state or national park. They are armed law enforcement officers.

When I am boondocking I do not expect to see rangers because they have other duties. I was coming back from Walmart when I had a tire problem on my TOAD. He was federal law enforcement but his uniform and truck had no identification other than goverment plates. He stopped and helped me.

Years earlier I was taking my son to school and had to pull off the road. A minute later a black Suburban was beside me a serious looking gentleman was at window to see if I needed help. His car door was open and I see communication gear and assault weapons. I could guess. I was working late when our admin asked me to walk her to her car. I told her who had the offices up stairs. She was safer than POTUS in the White House.

Bad example!

Anyway, on Tuesday I saw lots of logging trucks coming my way on a gravel road. I was in Idaho. No warning signs, common sense required. In fact I took a cat nap when stuck between longing trucks. Flagman ahead was the warning sign. First time to be stuck in construction on a gravel road.

In July I boondocked on FS land near Medicine Lake in northern California. It was just off a paved road. There was recent logging activity but this spot looked like it was a staging area many years ago. Big enough to turn around.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #16

followingsea, careful there, the mods don't like us dissing Cali.
I'm on thin ice and this post might just see me gone.

I was looking at a used Jeanneau and a Hallberg-Rassy
earlier today. Thinking that since there's nowhere to camp
I'll go to sea permanently.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:40 AM   #17

followingsea, I understand (and appreciate) the need to be self-sufficient and vigilant when boondocking in logging country.

But the difference between open-ocean cruising and driving on forest roads is that when I tow my trailer onto a narrow forest road, there is no way to know what is coming down the road toward me and no way to duck out of the way.

At sea, there are fairly clear rules about right of way and fairly clear methods of passing an oncoming vessel (starboard to starboard, port to port, and so on). You've even got time to signal to the other vessel, sometimes. Yes, you are on your own, but you have options not available to an RV on a two track road out in the deep boonies.

So that is why rangers (such as the Cal Fire personnel who run the demonstration forests) will often post "active logging" signs to warn us of the hazard.

I suppose the Coast Guard does sort of the same thing when they put buoys near active shipping channels, as they do off the coast of San Pedro and Long Beach.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:58 AM   #18

Y'all need to drive Vancouver Island logging roads. They gots trucks that make ours look like Ford Rangers. Needless to say they're not road legal.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:18 PM   #19

Hmmmm .... how do logging trucks keep from head-oning each other when coming and going at the same time on logging roads? CB radios or some other type of radio communication?

Perhaps we should find out how logging trucks coordinate/communicate between themselves and get the same setup (kind of radios?) in our RVs so we can receive information ahead of time whenever logging trucks are active on logging roads the same time as us RV'ers?
Phil G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 10:20 PM   #20

Phil, in Canada I saw little signs saying "log trucks are monitoring Channel 10" or whatever. So I guess RVers are expected to do the same?

We did not boondock in Canada!
Old 09-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
Phil, in Canada I saw little signs saying "log trucks are monitoring Channel 10" or whatever. So I guess RVers are expected to do the same?

We did not boondock in Canada!

Dan, I'm guessing that was probably Channel 10 of the common handheld walkie talkie radio system.

We carry two of those walkie talkies handy right on the dash of our motorhome. We use them for communication when fishing, hiking, or when traveling with another RV. Of course on a logging road, I could leave one of them turned on and set it to Channel 10 for monitoring any chatter between logging trucks on that (or any other) channel.
Phil G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:06 PM   #22

I'm not sure if its universal but here in Western Canada the logging roads and oil and gas lease roads are not on a typical channel like '10' they are on a LADD channel (Logging Administration Dispatch) channel. They usually post at the beginning of the road what they are using - i.e. LAD (or LADD) channel 1 (154.100MHz), or LADD 2 (158.940MHz).

When entering or going in on the road you will be 'empty' (i.e call empty RV at km 1), when heading out you are 'loaded' so loaded RV at km 12, etc. If we come across someone who we are not expecting we will also call you out to the others. For example I might pass you on my way out at km 10, I would call loaded pick-up at km 10 and empty RV at km 10. The roads have a marker every km so you can track the activity on the road and be prepared...
Old 09-07-2021, 05:43 PM   #23

The easy way.... don't use logging roads. There are plenty of wonderful national and state forest roads or BLM roads.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:31 PM   #24

1blue, that is valuable "inside" info -- thanks for posting that!

And twogypsies, there are forests where loggers use forest roads -- I know for a fact that this happens in the Cal Fire demonstration forests. So there are times where RVers have to watch out. But we have to watch out for oncoming traffic anyways, right?

By the way, if you have never visited a Cal Fire forest, you are in for a treat. They are beautifully maintained and thinned. Mountain Home, in the Southern Sierra, is a hidden gem, as is Jackson up near Ft. Bragg.

But you may have to put up with some chainsaw noise.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:46 PM   #25

A small off road motorcycle works great for scouting the road ahead. Carry it on a rack on the back of your toad.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:06 PM   #26

Hmm... How am I going to scout the road ahead is a frequent scenario on my trips. Usually I don't plan my camping spot ahead enough to use the computer for Google Earth. Dropping the ramp and unloading one of the 4whlrs is a pain in the rear but often the only choice. How about a drone? can you see the monitor well enough while in flight to assess the situation?
rrsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:12 PM   #27

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
I may not have a clue about surfing or smoking pot but I do know how to pass and drive in the snow.
I live in Los Angeles and I drive just fine in the snow. Of course I grew up in Minnesota.

Quote:
California has become the 'no' state. In 50 years, only in California have I been told no by police for silly reasons. No you can not take your kids skiing in your 4wd because M & S (macho and stupid) is not stamped on your tires
Makes sense in California where many people have never seen snow much less driven in it.

Quote:
In July I boondocked on FS land near Medicine Lake in northern California.
Despite all these negatives you still come back and camp.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:19 PM   #28

Short WB truck and short trailer= Short turn radius.
Weve been up some pretty knarly roads with our rig, but we can do a 180 in far less space than a long wheelbase class C or a Class A. Never had to drop trailer, but Im sure well have to do that on some BLM roads I. The future.

Tags
boondock, boondocking, trailer, travel, travel trailer