Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2021, 04:20 PM   #29

rrsutherland, a few national forests have posted "no drone zone" signs, so that is a factor to be considered. I know for sure that is true in some areas of the Inyo National Forest, and of course in the national parks. (But there is no boondocking in most of the national parks, anyway.)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2021, 04:37 PM   #30
tcg

Have you guys considered a drone? Not a toy but something like the DJI Mini well under 500 bucks, easy to learn to fly, and fun to have for some cool photos.

I don't boondock but I do have a drone, I would put it up in the air first before going through the trouble of unhooking to scout the area.

Just a thought.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:50 PM   #31

Part of the adventure............enjoy !

Helps to have a good sized wheel on your tong jack (think about it).
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:19 PM   #32

Logging trucks in BC monitor VHF radio channels each area will monitor specific channels and in active logging areas rvers are only allowed in on weekends.
almacd1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Have you guys considered a drone? Not a toy but something like the DJI Mini well under 500 bucks, easy to learn to fly, and fun to have for some cool photos.

I don't boondock but I do have a drone, I would put it up in the air first before going through the trouble of unhooking to scout the area.

Just a thought.

Watch out though as some of those areas are no fly zones that have radio fields setup to prevent drone operation. If your fortunate the drone will just register the boundary and refuse to cross it however if your unfortunate it may go down in an inaccessible area where they may or may not give it back to you.

A farmer I know way out on the boonies found out, after he got his drone to survey his own property instead of having to walk it, that much of it was no-fly and inaccessible by drone. In his case the drone controller just flashed a no-fly-zone warning and refused to go any farther.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:43 PM   #34

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
A drone is a great idea, but be forewarned, u need a pilots license and the drone needs to be registered. The drone costs anywhere from $200.00 for a halfway decent one on up and the license will cost in the neighborhood of $150.00-$200.00
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:48 PM   #35

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Any idea what the last thing will pass through your mind when you meet a longing truck on FS road?

Lived in the Sierra foothills and a guy on a bike was killed near the house by a logging truck.

On my first camping trip pulling a 16' TT ended up on a logging road in the redwoods by mistake. A bad mistake, had to head for the ditch because I thought truck driver was not going to drive off the mountain.

Just something else to consider.
I do know the last thing to go through a bugs mind when it hits your windshield… it’s ass
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:44 AM   #36

Having an ebike is an excellent idea. That is why I bought an ebike. It will get me far enough into the interior to find a spot and scout out the roads.
RevnRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #37

I recommend you enjoy some spare time viewing Matt's Off Road Recovery channel on Youtube. You'll see the sort of mistakes campers make, and you'll be able to avoid those problems. I usually watch the first minute or two (which provides a description of what's happening, what the goal is, what vehicle is stuck, and where). Then I scroll ahead fast until they arrive at the stuck vehicle. The time in between is often just several minutes of watching the road go by.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...covery+camper+
DuluthFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
You folks who scout on bikes must be better bikers than I am -- we bring mountain bikes, but the remote two-track forest roads are too rough and hilly for my skill set. I'm ok on gravel roads, usually.

But rock-hopping at 9000 feet in the Eastern Sierra is too tough for me. Once upon a time, I could do that without breaking a sweat. Now I risk breaking my neck!
I'm probably not taking RV anywhere I can't ride a mountain bike.
Wild Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:31 AM   #39

Wild, believe it or not, we have often taken our trailer into difficult territory -- for example, steep narrow forest two-tracks with rocks the size of volleyballs, or ankle deep sand or mud or snow. My trailer can (and does) handle that stuff (slowly) but I can't bike it safely, especially not at high altitude.

I am sure that a younger rider could take a mountain bike through the rougher stuff. Not me, not at my age. As I often tell my wife, "I'm not afraid of falling to my death. I'm afraid of falling to my bruise."
Old 09-13-2021, 05:06 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
Hmmmm .... how do logging trucks keep from head-oning each other when coming and going at the same time on logging roads? CB radios or some other type of radio communication?

Perhaps we should find out how logging trucks coordinate/communicate between themselves and get the same setup (kind of radios?) in our RVs so we can receive information ahead of time whenever logging trucks are active on logging roads the same time as us RV'ers?

Having lived inside a million acres of federal land that just 40 years ago supported 16 mills, thousands of loggers etc. We learned to do it their way,

1. Check with the local usfs (us fuss) district, NFS, BLM Etc. Every sale must be posted where you can see them 24/7.
2.stay out of active sale arras.

3. They usr CB's. @ the entry to the sale area you'll see the channel number.

4. Along the road you'll see milage numbers. In going miles marked about every 2-5 miles. 1,6,8, 9,12. These are where pullouts are.

5. Loads have priority & right of way!!!
6. If they know you're coming & there you can br assured they will help you if needed.
Mot W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:45 PM   #41

Recently Boondocking in Colorado, logging is active due to all the beetle kill. Forrest roads were used in most places and "Active Logging" signs were posted. We noted a lot of heavy deep rutting that was not there a year prior. Forrest road conditions deteriorate during logging! The haulers are built to handle badly deteriorated road conditions...Your RV? Well not so much!
Billiam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #42

Billiam, thanks for that heads-up about the road damage. The good news, though, is that the harvesting of beetle-damaged trees will cut down on the risk of high intensity wildfires.

Tags
boondock, boondocking, trailer, travel, travel trailer