Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cabelas - what's allowed?

I've read a lot about overnights at Cabelas. I can't find much info about overnighting there. I find nothing on their official website about rv parking. Anyone who's used them - do you ask to park? Do they have specific areas for rv parking? Thanks for any insight. How about Bass Pro Shops?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
... Anyone who's used them - do you ask to park?
We've stayed at 2-3 Cabela's. Yes. Always call the location before assuming you can park. They could be in a location with ordinances prohibiting overnight parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
Do they have specific areas for rv parking
If they allow, there will be signs in the areas where overnight RV parking can be done. If you arrive before the store closes, check in with customer service.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Anytime someone allows you to stay overnight, whether it's Cabelas, Cracker Barrel or Wal-mart, the courteous thing to do is ask for permission and directions to where they want you to park. Even though they may allow parking, the town ordinances may not allow it.

Good luck and Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello Hammer Bird.
In my slow typing the other posters got ahead of mine, so (in repetition), I too just call ahead and ask the management. I do this with Walmart etc even if I find online it says over-nighting is allowed. Then there's no surprises, ordinances or whatever. Get the manager's first name too in case you need to verify on premises. I myself have no experience with Cabellas or Bass Pro Shop yet. But I'd do the call ahead just the same. I have found management appreciates that too, just courtesy. I also tell them how many hours I plan on being there and make sure that's OK with them as well. Reason being, sometimes due to my at times unique schedule I've had to arrive in the middle of the night. So I'm there sometimes until midday.

Just the way I've chose to do it, worked fine for me so far.

Best regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:41 PM   #5

We have boondocks at 3 Cabelas
in 2010 we stayed Cabelas in Kearney, Nebraska. Just a parking lot, older store.
in 2015 we stayed at Cabelas in Omaha, Nebraska, Paved parking lot where trucks waited to be unloaded.
We have stayed several times at Cabelas in Dundee Michigan. Latest stay was in February 2016. This is a newer store with a marked area for RVs.
We did not ask for permission to park at any store. Nobody from any store ever said a word to us
We have a 32 foot class A towing a Honda CRV.
hclark6345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #6
Community Moderator

i have never parked overnight at any of those - cabela's, cracker barrel, and bass pro... looks like they are regional stores mostly in mid south/north and eastern coast. curious - in a general term, do they have large parking lots accommodating 40'-45' rigs, and easy in and out?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:28 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Parking area depends on where they are located. For example, the Cabela's closest to me has a very small RV parking area. One in the next state over has a huge RV parking area.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Depending on which Cabella's you are talking about. The one in Sidney,NE has a full campground
Old 04-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #9

The Cabelas we have used tend to be RV-friendly, including water and a dump station. Usually have designated RV lanes. If we arrive before store has closed, will go inside to ask. Most Cabelas have a person as a "greeter" just inside the front doors - if they don't know the policy they radio the manager. ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:37 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Depending on which Cabella's you are talking about. The one in Sidney,NE has a full campground
I passed that one, was too early in the day to stop though and I needed to make time to get home.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #11

Cabela's in Hamburg PA. has a large parking lot with a dump site and water.

Seen trailers set up with tow vehicles off seeing the sites.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:56 PM   #12
Community Moderator

great. just like walmart some big and some small, but in general i consider walmat is BIG. per above comments, cabela's does look like a big/good place to stop over. i agree, getting a permission from the store is always a nice thing.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #13

I recently stayed at Cabelas in Scarborough ME while in transit further north up the coast.. They had a marked parking area for trucks and RVs, mostly level. I think there was a dump station as well, but I didn't need one at the time. Since its clearly marked at the location, and on their website, I didn't ask to park. Obviously, no slides, awning, grill, etc. Just a quiet place to park and sleep. I always visit and make a purchase if I overnight. Nice store. Large taxidermy display, aquarium, cafe, etc, and packed with outdoor merchandise.
reflex439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:13 PM   #14

We stayed at the Cabela's in Lacey, WA two weeks ago, just an overnighter. No issues, there is ample parking and a sewer dump available for a fee, but if you shop in the store they will give you a code number to use the dump and water fill station. We plan on another overnighter in June on the way to the coast and south to Oregon.
Elk4me is offline   Reply With Quote