Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Can you use a winterized toilet?

We have a small Class C motorhome that we would like to use for travelling throughout the winter while winterized. I'm leaning towards carrying a porta pottie, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has come up with another solution that might make the use of the onboard toilet feasible? We want to avoid public facilities. When at home, the unit is stored in our driveway subject to temperatures well below freezing. I've also considered keeping a jug of RV anti-freeze in the bathroom and using that to flush the toilet. I have tank heaters but I don't see that they have anything to offer. Any ideas?
cracker39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #2

We use our "winterised" Class A Gas motorhome most winters for a trip at some juncture for a handful of days/weekend. We carry on drinking/cooking water in jugs, and add extra antifreeze down the toilet so we can use if needed. We also add a little extra antifreeze to the grey tank, just in case any water escapes the washing up bowl and goes down, which it usually doesn't and we are able to throw away from the bowl directly.

That's what we do for the past 20+ years in frigid Alberta and has worked well for us. Years ago we used to ski a lot and park in the car park for the weekends using the RV and our Mr Buddy heater for the evenings and typically two/three nights.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker39 View Post
I've also considered keeping a jug of RV anti-freeze in the bathroom and using that to flush the toilet. I have tank heaters but I don't see that they have anything to offer. Any ideas?
That will work.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:59 PM   #4

---as a follow-up question, I always use the Thetford additive every time I dump - Is it necessary in the winter in combination with the anti-freeze? I've never given it much thought when I've winterized my previous RVs since I never used the toilet again once it was winterized.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #5

Whatever is in there when you reach warmer weather... probably 2 days at the most, will then thaw, if frozen but I doubt it would freeze. The tank, itself, offers some degree of insulation for a short time. It's water lines that could freeze. Bring jugs of water and you'll be fine for a couple days. You won't have used it that much to fill the tank. Don't worry about it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 04:37 PM   #6

Your antifreeze idea makes sense. I've done the same in freezing weather. I try to limit my liquid down the toilet by using the bushes during the day.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:47 PM   #7

Depends on what you mean by use! #1, sure. #2, I don't know that I'd do that.

Also it may depend on the toilet. For the old school RV toilets that have the spherical valve at the bottom I wouldn't have a problem.

I think the solution to urine in the black tank (yellow tank?) is having enough antifreeze in the tank to protect it. If this is a regular thing you might also want to have a bit of jug water to rinse out the toilet after, but that would require more antifreeze.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Whatever is in there when you reach warmer weather... probably 2 days at the most, will then thaw, if frozen but I doubt it would freeze. The tank, itself, offers some degree of insulation for a short time. It's water lines that could freeze. Bring jugs of water and you'll be fine for a couple days. You won't have used it that much to fill the tank. Don't worry about it.
Note that we're not headed south for the winter. We stay in New England and visit our kids around the area. Our longest trip is 365 miles one way and our shortest is 100 miles. Both are long enough to require bathroom use - and not just to pee - with the possible exception of the latter. That means that there could be some accumulation over the course of the winter - but certainly to a minimum degree. It's possible that I could dump the tank, if necessary, by using the tank heaters overnight before proceeding to the dump station.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:00 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker39 View Post
---as a follow-up question, I always use the Thetford additive every time I dump - Is it necessary in the winter in combination with the anti-freeze? I've never given it much thought when I've winterized my previous RVs since I never used the toilet again once it was winterized.
One thing I discovered in New Hamshire is that a cold black tank doesn’t stink. Mine actually froze there (no anti-freeze in it) and even though it was half full, it never smelled until it thawed out enough to dump it once back in Ca. Not that I’d recommend the practice, but it was an interesting experience, and fortunately no damage.

Also I completely struck out finding a dump station anywhere near me (like within 50 miles) that was open in the winter. So it was bucket brigade time to the nearest toilet. Not all that much fun which is why I put it off until it finally froze.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post

Also it may depend on the toilet. For the old school RV toilets that have the spherical valve at the bottom I wouldn't have a problem.

I think the solution to urine in the black tank (yellow tank?) is having enough antifreeze in the tank to protect it. If this is a regular thing you might also want to have a bit of jug water to rinse out the toilet after, but that would require more antifreeze.
We've dry camped through the last five winters in our trailer after winterizing it.

We use the toilet for #1. I pour about a 1/4 gallon of antifreeze down the toilet before leaving for a trip. We use a CamelBak insulated squeeze bottle filled with water for flushing. Works great and there's no worries about knocking it over and it spilling water.

I guess if you have enough water there's nothing stopping one from using it for #1 & #2.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 10-31-2020, 03:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post

Yes, #1

I carry wide mouth jugs to use as a urinal, then unlike the truckers, I pour the contents out and reuse the jug. And I add a little pine sol to the jug to freshen it up a bit.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:01 AM   #12
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure of the brand but they do make holding tank antifreeze. Bought some at a Colorado RV dealer near longmount.

Put a gallon in each tank. -17 out and tanks dumped fine, although a little sludgy.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #13

If you winterize, save the pink stuff when you de winterize for flushing next winter. To test this watery mixture, put some in a household freezer.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #14

We place a plastic bag inside the toilet bowl and use a deodorizing gel powder in the bag. Fill the bag and trash it.
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet, winter, winterize