Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chaco Canyon Boondock

A long anticipated trip to Chaco Canyon was recently realized. The quietness and isolation of Chaco Canyon proved to be a great place for self reflection and focused study of an amazing culture that peaked over 800 years ago.

Primitive camping with no hookups is available at Gallo Campground, located one mile east of the Visitor Center. The campground is situated among the fallen boulders and cliffs of Gallo Wash.

The campground offers camping in a rugged environment, surrounded by petroglyphs, a cliff dwelling, inscriptions, and a high desert landscape. There is no shade. Potable water and a dump station is located near the visitor center

The campsites are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Camping is limited to 14 days. Each campsite costs $10.00 per night. Interagency Senior pass holders pay $5.00 per site, per night.

Chaco Canyon Gallery: 130907 - Chaco Culture National Historic Park - Casita Adventures Photography by Rob Rupp
baron100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #2

It's a beautiful spot. I haven't camped there but I have visited it a couple times.
racerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #3

How late in the year is this site open and accessible for use?
Rowanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowanova View Post
How late in the year is this site open and accessible for use?
Campground is open year round. Weather forecasts available at:

NOAA National Weather Service
Old 09-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's one of the foremost archaeological sites in the area. So much history. I only wish our Discovery 36J could make it into the camp sites. The road to Chaco is pretty uneven in places. Chaco is one of the greatest experiences there is if you're interested in the ancient history of this area.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
It's one of the foremost archaeological sites in the area. So much history. I only wish our Discovery 36J could make it into the camp sites. The road to Chaco is pretty uneven in places. Chaco is one of the greatest experiences there is if you're interested in the ancient history of this area.
Colonel Joe, before existing the Park I inquired about the road South. At that time the Ranger behind the desk said all roads leading to the park could be accessed by any vehicle. I know that I hit an exceptionally good time for the roads during my visit. Safe Travels.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron100 View Post
Colonel Joe, before existing the Park I inquired about the road South. At that time the Ranger behind the desk said all roads leading to the park could be accessed by any vehicle. I know that I hit an exceptionally good time for the roads during my visit. Safe Travels.
Thanks for the insight! I'll check before we head that direction. The "rough road" point I recall was going through/across a river bed. At that time, there was a rather steep breakover angle that would have caused a high center with the Discovery. The southern road to the park may be the better choice. I appreciate the information!

Here's a slideshow of some of the pictures we took when visiting Chaco a few years ago, if you're interested:

http://wd0m.com/photos/chacocanyon/
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote