Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #15

So we got the 3500/4000 champion runs the AC/microwave and pretty anything else at the same time with no problems. Best part is it’s remote start so never have to worry about leaving the coach
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2019, 09:36 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 3100 champion for several years. Has 30a RV connector. Will run one air conditioner. Newer models have remote electric start/stop. It's been reliable, easy starting, and quiet. It's well built. I would buy another Champion generator.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:39 PM   #17

No matter how big your genny is your WFCO charger will NOT charge your batteries in any reasonable length of time. Its not the size of the genny, its what the charger can put into the batteries. You will never see 14.4 volts bulk charge (this was told to me by a WFCO engineer). The amp input into your batteries will be single digit numbers (maybe 7-8 amps). Figure it out, If you use 40 amp hours a day you're looking at running the genny 5 to 8 hrs at best to get back what you used. Remember, the 7-8 amps does not stay there, it tapers down the longer your charge.

If you plan on a lot of boon docking without hookups you WILL need some other way of charging your batteries. There are a couple of good chargers that can replace the WFCO. they put out a solid 14.4 in bulk mode for a few hours first then drop down to lower the rate as the battery comes up on charge. At 14.4 I see 30 amps + going into my batteries for 3 hrs at least when I run them down 50%. The WFCO I had never put that out. You can have a low rate charge for a long time (like hooked up to shore power 24 hrs a day, think WFCO charger) or you can dump a lot of charge into the batteries in a short time with the correct charger for boon docking (running the genny for a much shorter period of time to get the same result.).

BTDT WFCO won't do it.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
No matter how big your genny is your WFCO charger will NOT charge your batteries in any reasonable length of time. Its not the size of the genny, its what the charger can put into the batteries. You will never see 14.4 volts bulk charge (this was told to me by a WFCO engineer). The amp input into your batteries will be single digit numbers (maybe 7-8 amps). Figure it out, If you use 40 amp hours a day you're looking at running the genny 5 to 8 hrs at best to get back what you used. Remember, the 7-8 amps does not stay there, it tapers down the longer your charge.

If you plan on a lot of boon docking without hookups you WILL need some other way of charging your batteries. There are a couple of good chargers that can replace the WFCO. they put out a solid 14.4 in bulk mode for a few hours first then drop down to lower the rate as the battery comes up on charge. At 14.4 I see 30 amps + going into my batteries for 3 hrs at least when I run them down 50%. The WFCO I had never put that out. You can have a low rate charge for a long time (like hooked up to shore power 24 hrs a day, think WFCO charger) or you can dump a lot of charge into the batteries in a short time with the correct charger for boon docking (running the genny for a much shorter period of time to get the same result.).

BTDT WFCO won't do it.

X2

- Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

BTDT WFCO won't do it.
Thanks Cliffy for educating me. I will start looking for a replacement.
Jgriff1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgriff1954 View Post
Thanks Cliffy for educating me. I will start looking for a replacement.
Here is a good one https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...r-4600-series/

I had a stand alone unit and a friend installed this in his 30 amp power center. It will go into bulk and you can force it in as well.

- Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
Here is a good one https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...r-4600-series/

I had a stand alone unit and a friend installed this in his 30 amp power center. It will go into bulk and you can force it in as well.

- Jeff
Thanks Jeff.
What is the stand alone one like ?

Is it less expensive ? I'm not to worried about price but I don't think I could install a replacement myself.

TIA
Old 05-25-2019, 11:34 PM   #22

I use a pair of Honda 2000 generators in parallel, when it is running I disconnect the batteries from the RV and charge them on an AC 12 V charger. I also make sure the batteries have been given a good full charge before I leave the house. Seems to work well for us.
Side note, be sure you have changed your lights out to LED, that will save on battery usage.
Just my two cent's worth.
2Grands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Grands View Post
I use a pair of Honda 2000 generators in parallel, when it is running I disconnect the batteries from the RV and charge them on an AC 12 V charger. I also make sure the batteries have been given a good full charge before I leave the house. Seems to work well for us.
Side note, be sure you have changed your lights out to LED, that will save on battery usage.
Just my two cent's worth.
Thanks for the reply 2Grands

I am going to do the same as you but with one 2000 watt. The trailer already came with all LED lighting was great
Old 05-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #24

I tried my gennie today with the WFCO 8735P

Before I started the try out I measured my batteries, they sat for 3 days, and I had 12.68 volts. I started the gennie and then plugged in the TT power cord and let it run for 5 mins then went and checked my batteries. I got a reading of 13.6. Let it run for a 1/2 hr and it dropped to 13.2. I would of liked to run it longer but didn't have the time.

My question is, with the batteries at 12.68 shouldn't the WFCO gone into boost mode at 14.3 ? Isn't 13.6 normal mode ?

I have read many comments and I don't think one was how good the WFCO is at going into boost mode and if it does it doesn't stay there.

Do I change out to the Progressive Dynamics one even though I have a gennie and Schumacher smart chargers , 30A, so I can direct charge my batteries ?

TIA
Old 05-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #25

You need to get the batteries discharged below 75% before the charger will stay more then a few seconds in boost, actually bulk, mode.

Anything between 12.6 and 12.7 is at 100% charged.

Get them down to 12 .2 volts and give it a try. Then the volts should climb over 14 for a time, before dropping down to absorb, and then float mode.

Name:   clBVt.gif
Views: 187
Size:  6.4 KB
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You need to get the batteries discharged below 75% before the charger will stay more then a few seconds in boost, actually bulk, mode.

Anything between 12.6 and 12.7 is at 100% charged.

Get them down to 12 .2 volts and give it a try. Then the volts should climb over 14 for a time, before dropping down to absorb, and then float mode.
Attachment 247375
Thank you twinboat. I will deplete it further. I appreciate the help.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #27

WFCO's response

Hi

This is what I sent WFCO in an email and here is also their response.

Does this make sense ?

from me :
I purchased a 2019 travel trailer in May/19 and the WF-8735 will not go into boost mode. I have tried it when my batteries ( 2 12v DC ) have been at 12.2 volts and 12.0 V. The highest reading I get is 13.2 V. which by your specs is float mode.
I have used my homes electrical system, a 30 amp campground hook up and my 2000 watt inverter/generator.

Can you help me please.

Their response :
If your batteries are that low and you are seeing 13.2 volt means the converter is in boost mode. The relationship between volt and amps is the reason you are not seeing 14.4 volts. You have a large load on the system with the battery that low if the converter was not in boost mode the voltage would be around 12.4 to 12.5.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgriff1954 View Post
Hi

This is what I sent WFCO in an email and here is also their response.

Does this make sense ?

from me :
I purchased a 2019 travel trailer in May/19 and the WF-8735 will not go into boost mode. I have tried it when my batteries ( 2 12v DC ) have been at 12.2 volts and 12.0 V. The highest reading I get is 13.2 V. which by your specs is float mode.
I have used my homes electrical system, a 30 amp campground hook up and my 2000 watt inverter/generator.

Can you help me please.

Their response :
If your batteries are that low and you are seeing 13.2 volt means the converter is in boost mode. The relationship between volt and amps is the reason you are not seeing 14.4 volts. You have a large load on the system with the battery that low if the converter was not in boost mode the voltage would be around 12.4 to 12.5.

Thanks for any help.
So I sent him back this :

Thanks for the reply.

What SOC should my batteries be at to achieve the 14.4 V boost charge ?

Thank you

He sent this back:

You can’t see 14.4 volt.. If you need a better explanation please give me a call.

What am I missing ?