Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you probably have 4 6 volt batteries for the house side of the motor home and 2 6 volt batteries for the chassis side of the motor home. You would need to charge the house batteries separately from the chassis batteries. In all instances you would charge them at 12 volts. The 6 volt batteries are series connected for the chassis and series/parallel for the house. Your chassis batteries shouldn't run down while dry camping and would only need to be charged in an emergency situation.

What model motor home do you have?
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #30

Thanks for your feedback. I now know that charging the 6 volts batteries has to be done with a 12 volt charger. I am just learning how this all works and was simply looking for a cheaper way to charge the 6-6volt batteries without running the 7000 watt house generator. I thought maybe I could use a commercial grade 12 volt charger powered by a 2000 watt Honda generator and save a lot of fuel versus using the house generator. I am beginning to believe this is not true. I am also concerned with damaging house electronic components (12v and 110v) by using an external charger on the batteries. I was trying to find a way around buying very expensive solar power panels. We plan on doing a lot of boon docking so I am just looking for my best alternatives at charging the batteries for the least amount of cost. I realize that if you plan on boon docking, you have to keep your batteries charged. I obviously have a lot to learn and that is why I am deeply researching all I can find out before we buy our motor home early next year.
hstansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:48 PM   #31

I often camp for 2-3 weeks without power. When the 2x6 volt Trojans get low, I get out a Schumacher digital-readout charger, connect it to the batteries and the genset in the trailer. I charge it at 10amp rate for about an hour at a time. This seems to work well for me and gets me about 2-3 days more battery life. I have all lights in the trailer changed to LEDs, that has help tremendously in how long I can go without recharging.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #32

Wingnut60,

I`m sure, what you are doing, works for you.

I just want to point out that you have about 220 AH of battery and, as you stated, when they " get low ", you charge them at 10 amps for an hour.

That means you are putting 10 AH back in, after, possibly, using up to 100 AH.

You could safely use a 25 amp charge rate, for over 2 hours, if your batteries are at 50% (12.1 volts ).
Leaving batteries chronically, under charged, will shorten their life.

It is recommended that wet cell batteries, stay between 60% to 80% state of charge. ( 12.2 to 12.4 volts ) while in use.

During storage, they need to be charged to 100% ( 12.6 + ).

Enjoy
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:59 AM   #33

Go solar. I never could charge my batteries properly with a generator. Batteries needed replacement after 2 years.
Though my 200 watt solar system cost the same as a good Genny, I got my payback with battery life. It's a no brainer to me solar does work and generator don't.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #34

Some Trojan batteries like to go to 14.8v to fully recharge. Solar does this, match solar wattage to ah of battery.