Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2017, 06:01 PM   #1

Charging phones, computers etc. 24/7

After adding solar and an inverter, I realized that I STILL had a problem because the many outlets in our 1999 24 ft. Born Free were dead unless I ran the generator. I found out that all the outlets were on one breaker, so I disconnected the wires from the breaker and fed the outlets with the inverter (which I hooked to the batteries 24/7). Thus we could always charge computers etc., regardless of the situation. If we plugged in at a campground, then we used the a/c for air conditioner and microwave, and the a/c outlets were still live (being fed by the inverter, feeding off the battery, which was being charged by the solar and the a/c plug-in).

Then my wife needed to use a hair dryer, and I had to rewire to power the hair dryer and start the generator. 2 years later, I had an idea (slow learner).

Now the outlets are still all inverter-powered only. Limited current draw. BUT, the breaker output for the outlets is connected to a short extension cord which ends near the bathroom. If wifey needs the hair dryer (or if I need to use a higher-current tool), I crank up the genny, flip on the breaker for the generator-powered a/c outlet, and we can do what we need.

Amazingly, the second part of this took 2 years to figure out.

Hope this helps someone.

Stan F.
tanksalot
tanksalotct is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2017, 07:36 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Clever work-around. But why are you wasting energy by converting 12v DC to 120v AC then back to the 5-18 v DC used by laptops and USB chargers? You'd be better served by installing a few USB outlets or 12v power ports for your electronic devices.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #3

You can use an Inverter that you can connect to your car's battery. Those are enough to charge your phones or laptops depending on the inverter's wattage.
For larger appliances you will need those inverter/generator types.
daddy2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #4

That is an interesting work around.

Another approach is to install a bigger inverter. 2 KW one could power the blow dryer no problem, and it is unlikely that it would be used for all that long.
harryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:05 PM   #5

It's a lot easier for me to waste some energy rateher than rewire my rig.
I don't disagree with your concept, but the reward wouldn't be worth the cost.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #6

True; but feeding the inverter adequate D.C. To provide that power is problematic.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #7

I installed a few USB ports in my camper last year. I actually just ordered a new one that shows the voltage in the center between two ports. I plan to swap out my 12V power port in our bedroom with this then i can view the voltage at night and it should produce a light blue glow
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2ztx View Post
I installed a few USB ports in my camper last year. I actually just ordered a new one that shows the voltage in the center between two ports. I plan to swap out my 12V power port in our bedroom with this then i can view the voltage at night and it should produce a light blue glow
Where did you get the part that you used, sounds like what I am looking for. If you ordered on line can you provide a link?
Old 01-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #9

I used a 20 amp transfer switch in the line comming out of the breaker.
That way, when the generator or shore power is avalable, it uses that. When it's gone, it switchs to the inverter.

Here is the switch and link to it.

http://www.invertersupply.com/index....KEgaApeL8P8HAQ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ts20a.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	150496  
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:29 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You can buy 110 v outlets hat already have USB ports on them for charging phones and PCs. No rewiring required.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:54 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I, too, have installed USB ports in my RV. I mostly boondock, and my RV has no 12vdc outlets anywhere other than the dash, so it was a problem. I bought a few of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Installed one in the dash, and two in the bedroom (one on each nightstand alongside the bed). That gives me 6 USB charge ports, hot all the time, whether on shore power or not. They install in a hole only slightly larger than a normal 12vdc outlet (1 1/8"). No sense in using 120VAC (whether shore, genny, or inverter) to power a 5vdc item, especially when 12vdc is ALWAYS available anyway.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:51 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use one of the larger Inverter/Chargers.. (2,000 watt) it will run the hair dryer (not long) on batteries, It will run the microwave (likewise) and if shore power is present it goes to sleep and lets the Shore (or Generator) do the "Heavy Lifting"

There have been several times I've been glad of that.. It will maintain the microwave long enough for me to do the Generator Transfer if needed (About 3 minutes minimum, Usually longer) actually.. It will maintain the Microwave MUCH longer.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
Where did you get the part that you used, sounds like what I am looking for. If you ordered on line can you provide a link?
This is the one i just ordered to try -

Dual USB Car Cigarette 12V Lighter Socket Splitter Charger Adapter W/Voltmeter | eBay

You can search amazon of ebay with Dual USB Socket and get many results.
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:11 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Just be aware that the USB/ 12v power plug units with the LED voltage displays all use a small amount of power all the time, whether something is plugged in or not. It's a small drain, (one admits to a 10 MA draw) but it will deplete battery over time. I'd install an on/off switch or a momentary on switch in the line to the display to reduce phantom drain.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, computer