Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #1

Clean up your mess!!!

We pulled up in Ehrenberg at a boondocking site and what a mess. Everywhere was trash garbage plastic everything. The BLM boondocking sites will start closing down everywhere if people don't start cleaning up their own mess. We even seen two different spots within a hundred yards of our RV where people even dump their, black tank it was ridiculous. So we did the right thing and cleaned it up.
Dave0559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #2

That's why CG's need camp host. The National Parks learned that lesson during the last shut down!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
That's why CG's need camp host. The National Parks learned that lesson during the last shut down!
These are not campgrounds these are just boondocking BLM locations that people are supposed to clean up after themselves.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave0559 View Post
These are not campgrounds these are just boondocking BLM locations that people are supposed to clean up after themselves.

Apparently it's not working! In today's society, you can't expect people to voluntarily follow the rules. We even have problems like that in CG's that are policed. I'm with you and will pick up any trash laying around wherever we stop.
On Volunteer.gov, there are volunteer host positions on BLM lands.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #5

Unhappy

That's sad. I was disappointed on last summer's trip at the amount of trash left behind by others, in both the US and Canada. RVers are supposed to be more in touch with the environment than the general public but apparently not.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIDE View Post
That's sad. I was disappointed on last summer's trip at the amount of trash left behind by others, in both the US and Canada. RVers are supposed to be more in touch with the environment than the general public but apparently not.
I hear ya,
Old 02-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #7

We boondock extensively, and whilst hubby fishes, I read for a little bit, do a cross word, and then for a good 20mins to half hour sometimes twice over, I don my rubber gloves and go around with trash bags collecting. Sadly some other fisher folks don't give a monkeys about hooks, weights, line etc strewn everywhere and quite dangerous in part. We've even found discarded RV toilets and parts thereof.

On a plus side, we've on occasion managed to retrieve a few good lures, pliers, filet knife and so on, but generally the hourly rate has probably worked out to about 4cents

Like you Dave we can see these free camping spots, very sparse in prime locations for us nowadays becoming very much a thing of the past if WE ALL don't step up to the plate and pack it in and pack it out. A little common sense and courtesy goes a long way, alas it's not something much passed down the line in recent generations it feels.
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBeFT View Post
We boondock extensively, and whilst hubby fishes, I read for a little bit, do a cross word, and then for a good 20mins to half hour sometimes twice over, I don my rubber gloves and go around with trash bags collecting. Sadly some other fisher folks don't give a monkeys about hooks, weights, line etc strewn everywhere and quite dangerous in part. We've even found discarded RV toilets and parts thereof.

On a plus side, we've on occasion managed to retrieve a few good lures, pliers, filet knife and so on, but generally the hourly rate has probably worked out to about 4cents

Like you Dave we can see these free camping spots, very sparse in prime locations for us nowadays becoming very much a thing of the past if WE ALL don't step up to the plate and pack it in and pack it out. A little common sense and courtesy goes a long way, alas it's not something much passed down the line in recent generations it feels.
So true, we just hope with this write up that other campers will step up to plate and help to clean up or will be gone to find good BLM spots!!!
Old 02-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #9

You really experience how much folks disregard things when you're a volunteer in a park. We've done our share of picking up cigarette butts (they last many years), fish guts and oh, the fire pits with dirty diapers, cans, leftover food, tin foil, bottles, etc.

We've boondocked a lot, also, but surprisingly, we saw more trash in public campgrounds.

Sorry you had to experience it. Thanks to anyone who cleans the surroundings.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You really experience how much folks disregard things when you're a volunteer in a park. We've done our share of picking up cigarette butts (they last many years), fish guts and oh, the fire pits with dirty diapers, cans, leftover food, tin foil, bottles, etc.

We've boondocked a lot, also, but surprisingly, we saw more trash in public campgrounds.

Sorry you had to experience it. Thanks to anyone who cleans the surroundings.
[emoji106]
Old 02-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Report it. The responsible agency might not know about the problems.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #12

Trash at campsites.

I carry a good quality pick up stick with me. Easy on the back. The old Girl Scout motto. Leave the place cleaner than you found it.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave0559 View Post
We pulled up in Ehrenberg at a boondocking site and what a mess. Everywhere was trash garbage plastic everything. The BLM boondocking sites will start closing down everywhere if people don't start cleaning up their own mess. We even seen two different spots within a hundred yards of our RV where people even dump their, black tank it was ridiculous. So we did the right thing and cleaned it up.
We have done the very same picking up others trash and darn tired of it.

Society is truly de-generating but in the RV community maybe we can slow it down a bit

Truly makes you wonder what the inside of their RV looks like when they pull those stunts, thinking of themselves and no one else
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
We have done the very same picking up others trash and darn tired of it.

Society is truly de-generating but in the RV community maybe we can slow it down a bit

Truly makes you wonder what the inside of their RV looks like when they pull those stunts, thinking of themselves and no one else
We hope that RVers will start clean up and pack out. Keep the good work my friends!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app