Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #1

Colorado Suggestions

Thinking ahead to next summer. My wife can retire and so that will give us more time. I was thinking about Canada up to Jasper anyway but decided to hold off one that for awhile.

So now I'm looking at traveling from Florida to Great Sand Dunes for a few days. This will be early June. I have a number of COE sites along that way. But going west from GSD is the question and I'm looking for suggestions for boondocking or at least dry camping.

I have a 4WD F350 pulling a 30 ft Arctic Fox TT that is designed for backcountry roads. Mild ones anyway no step ledges...heh. I'd like to find some good scenic spots that we can get the TT up to and in. We have done half of the Alpine Loop in the truck, Engineer's Pass was closed. It seems like there may have been some spots in the eastern section of that before you hit the mountains.

Area I'm looking at: west of GSD to Cortez and north to I-70. Nothing particular in mind except maybe that mesa south and west of 141.

Then into Utah probably, Bryce, Escalante, Canyonlands ect.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #2

Lots of good boondocking just east of Ridgway in the Silver Jack Reservoir area. Also in the canyons just north of Crested Butte. Also north and east of Silverton. I am sure there is a lot more than that, but that's all I know, off the top of my head. Colorado is boondocking heaven.

I am sure you know that the motor vehicle use maps for each of the forests show the roads that are marked for boondocking. They can be downloaded as PDFs and also to a smart phone on the Avenza app. Then, of course, go to Google Earth and fly low over the roads, looking for established campsites.

With a rig that big, even though it is off road capable, you will probably need to scout your sites with just your tow vehicle to make sure there are sufficient turn-arounds. Again, my guess is that none of this is news to you!
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #3

I answered you on 'the other forum'.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #4

If you go west from GSD NP then you'll be headed to Pagosa springs and Durango. That's a pull over wolf pass, which is very steep going down into the springs.

We do a habitat build in that area every year, so know it pretty well.

From Durango, you can head north to Montrose and the into Utah Arches NP area, or from Durango head further west past Mesa Verde NP, worth seeing, and then onto 4 corners, monument valley area. Choose escalante or grand canyon routes from there.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
If you go west from GSD NP then you'll be headed to Pagosa springs and Durango. That's a pull over wolf pass, which is very steep going down into the springs.

We do a habitat build in that area every year, so know it pretty well.

From Durango, you can head north to Montrose and the into Utah Arches NP area, or from Durango head further west past Mesa Verde NP, worth seeing, and then onto 4 corners, monument valley area. Choose escalante or grand canyon routes from there.

We've been all over that area for decades, but not boondocking. Listen to "Wolf Creek Pass" by CW McCall to get us in the mood for the road (I know the real pass has little to do with that song). We spent a week in Cortez and then another in Montrose a few years then a week in Ouray the next year. That's when we did part of the Alpine loop.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:38 AM   #6

With a rig that big, even though it is off road capable, you will probably need to scout your sites with just your tow vehicle to make sure there are sufficient turn-arounds. Again, my guess is that none of this is news to you!

------------------------------------------------------

I knew that but had it driven home this summer up at Hungry Jack Reservoir in Montana. We really learn best what we learn the hard way, heh, tho I prefer the easy way. I know about MVUM but reading those maps is an acquired art, I need to study one until I get my head adjusted. I have a couple I brought home from Montana I'm going to work on one of those.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I answered you on 'the other forum'.

Thanks I got it.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Get the app Campendium ...lots of good info on a map. Helped me find a bunch of good sites this summer.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #9

Wolf Creek Pass is tough but doable. many RV's go over that pass. Just go slow.

Near GSD, try the San Luis Lake wildlife area. Free camping with 50 amp power but no water at all.

West, there's a fair amount of places you can boondock in that rig. Honestly, it's easier for trailers than motorhomes since trailers can pivot on their center axle(s) to get level.

Be prepared to share your boondocking location with folks living in their cars. Most are harmless and just trying to get some sleep. Some are living our there mostly permanently and the land managers just don't have the people to enforce the rules. Some are, unfortunately, addicted or mentally ill. Not trying to scare you or get political. That's just reality these days.

We recommend Campendium too but don't be afraid to scout out some forest service roads that aren't listed. You might find a gem, especially if you're willing to stay places with little to no cell service or rougher roads.

Another route with more boondocking that will take you up to I-70 is through Salida, Buena Vista and Leadville on 285/24. Very high elevations but beautiful area.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #10

check out ramblin' Ralph's multi year campsite map. it's pretty cool and informative

Tags
colorado