Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Combining black/grey tanks

I'm posting this under boondocking because I assume mostly boondockers will care about the subject.

I saw a video where, after installing a composting toilet, someone (Gone with the Wynn's) combined their black & grey tanks by simple adding a gate valve where the black & grey pipes meet up.

I have a 2014 Bounder 33C and I'd like to try this out, but it's winter and I've already drained everything.

I've contacted Fleetwood and (probbaly because of liability issues) don't want to comment on this practice.

Has anyone out there done this with an success?

Thanks!
descour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by descour View Post
I'm posting this under boondocking because I assume mostly boondockers will care about the subject.

I saw a video where, after installing a composting toilet, someone (Gone with the Wynn's) combined their black & grey tanks by simple adding a gate valve where the black & grey pipes meet up.

I have a 2014 Bounder 33C and I'd like to try this out, but it's winter and I've already drained everything.

I've contacted Fleetwood and (probbaly because of liability issues) don't want to comment on this practice.

Has anyone out there done this with an success?

Thanks!
My husband did this on our American Coach. I'll see if I can get him to post the details.

Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can easily purchase a gate valve that attaches at the sewer hose hookup, and combine the two tanks by closing that new valve and opening your other two valves. Personally, I've never had the need, but to each his own. The only downside that I can see is that you are introducing black waste into your grey tank, so odors through the sink if the water in the trap is lost (while driving) will more easily make it's way into the coach, although whether grey or black actually smells worse is debatable. Of course, if you're replacing the toilet with a composting unit, then you really have no issues with black waste anyway, so it would indeed be a simple way to increase your grey capacity.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #4

Keep in mind you'd still have to be diligent in when to empty the tanks. Have you ever had grey water back up into the shower because you were late emptying it? Think of sewage water backing up in your shower.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
If you don't have a composting toilet, I would not do this. If you have replaced all your toilets with composting type, then it makes sense.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
You can easily purchase a gate valve that attaches at the sewer hose hookup, and combine the two tanks by closing that new valve and opening your other two valves. Personally, I've never had the need, but to each his own. The only downside that I can see is that you are introducing black waste into your grey tank, so odors through the sink if the water in the trap is lost (while driving) will more easily make it's way into the coach, although whether grey or black actually smells worse is debatable. Of course, if you're replacing the toilet with a composting unit, then you really have no issues with black waste anyway, so it would indeed be a simple way to increase your grey capacity.
It's not been an issue the VERY FEW times we've done it. We also use happy camper in both the grey and black tanks and are diligent about dumping. My father in law's Newell only has 1 tank period, so both black and grey water go in it.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondiega1 View Post
It's not been an issue the VERY FEW times we've done it. We also use happy camper in both the grey and black tanks and are diligent about dumping. My father in law's Newell only has 1 tank period, so both black and grey water go in it.
Plus, both of our toilets are Tecma macerating toilets so we don't have large chunks (lol) trying to get through the narrower grey water drains.
We also have grey and black tank flush with our San-T-Flush system. I flush both tanks after a weekend on merged tanks.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Keep in mind you'd still have to be diligent in when to empty the tanks. Have you ever had grey water back up into the shower because you were late emptying it? Think of sewage water backing up in your shower.
Exactly!
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:50 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies. If it's not clear, I'll be doing this to extend our time at state parks or BLM lands. The grey tank was always our limiting factor.
descour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:34 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As was mentioned above, there are after-market gate valves like https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...rds=gate+valve

What I do is, when my grey gets full and I want to transfer some to the black, I attach it to the outflow of the whole system and close it. Then I open the grey valve and let the cavity fill (I have a see-through elbow, too) then open the black valve. I watch the grey flow to to the black and when the flow slows down, I close the black valve first and then the grey.

This approach has now done everything your original question poses but I have not incurred any of the downside mentioned in other posts above... like grey backing up into the shower.

Another reason to use this method rather than just having them combined openly is that, when you do dump, you still have grey water (without the black mixed in) so that you can dump it last and clean out your hose.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blang View Post
As was mentioned above, there are after-market gate valves like https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...rds=gate+valve

What I do is, when my grey gets full and I want to transfer some to the black, I attach it to the outflow of the whole system and close it. Then I open the grey valve and let the cavity fill (I have a see-through elbow, too) then open the black valve. I watch the grey flow to to the black and when the flow slows down, I close the black valve first and then the grey.

This approach has now done everything your original question poses but I have not incurred any of the downside mentioned in other posts above... like grey backing up into the shower.

Another reason to use this method rather than just having them combined openly is that, when you do dump, you still have grey water (without the black mixed in) so that you can dump it last and clean out your hose.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:17 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

This is a great idea. I follow everything except where the clear elbow is located. Mine has all black piping connecting the two to the outlet. There's no place to connect a clear plast elbow between tanks to monitor the flow.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:26 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Do this too to extend grey capacity, also use method to rinse black when dumping. Just dump black then use same procedure to run some grey into black and and dump again.
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
This is a great idea. I follow everything except where the clear elbow is located. Mine has all black piping connecting the two to the outlet. There's no place to connect a clear plast elbow between tanks to monitor the flow.
At the end of your outflow pipe, attach the clear elbow (or they make other configurations like straight long or short, too) and then the new gate valve. With the added gate closed and the other two opened, you will see the water moving through the clear. Again, just make sure to open the black last and close it first when the flow begins to slow... to keep the... um... black in the black tank.

Here are some examples of the clear I'm referring to. Basically, just use whatever your configuration and space calls for. And, by the way, there are more of these available. These are just to get you moving in the right direction. Um... no pun intended. Well, ok, maybe a little pun.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T102...words=valterra

blang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey tank, tank