Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Compelling reason to keep the microwave?

Early in my research on renovating older RV's, I had read that it's important to hold on to all the equipment that people typically expect a motorhome to have for resale.

I'm seriously questioning whether or not this is necessary.

I yanked out the original (1987) Magic Chef microwave and disposed of it immediately because it had a hole melted more than an inch deep the bottom of the interior.

I have a nice residential microwave which is currently just sitting in the cavity as I'm parked in one location for a couple of month with electricity.

After I've fixed things up, I expect to boondock nearly 100% of the time. I rarely use the microwave and could easily live without it. In my previous residential life, I used the microwave almost exclusively as a kitchen timer.

Before I go to the expense and bother of mounting the microwave and making a vented face frame for the enclosure (microwaves are a lot smaller than they were in the 80s), I'm seriously wondering if there's any reason to keep it?

I can think of a lot of things I'd rather do with that space above the stove than use it to cart around a 1200 watt 30 lb kitchen timer.

Note: I do NOT have an installed inverter.

Thoughts?
senvara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you aren't going to use it, then don't !
or use it as a storage compartment like some do...
ersale is the last thing you want to think about when you are building it...
a desktop m/w can be added at anytime

BUT, having said that, we use our microwave nearly daily...
Old 06-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I don't care too much about resale "value", but I don't wish to customize so much for my own needs that no one else would find it useful.

It's the frugal, hippie, recycling part of me.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #4

The 5th I used to pull had a cabinet for the microwave that had a hinge on top of the door with a gas shock, rather than on the side. You could wire an outlet for a microwave in an enclosure like this, and just leave the microwave at home. That way you have the option for space or convenience.
Trilug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
Community Moderator

i can care less if i will never use it. on my coach, there had been a washer/dryer combo. it did not work well, but occupied a big cabinet, and heavy. we knew we'd never use it. i took it out and trashed it. we have been very happy for the space.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You own the MH so do as you please. We use Microwave in RV more than at home. I would have a Microwave in my RV.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #7

We are full time RV'ers and have considerable solar, LFP battery storage, and PSWI on both 34' fifth wheel and 19' Roadtrek. We use the microwave to heat water for tea, coffee, and mate. Why use propane when we can use our electrical system.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:01 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I would keep that space usable for a portable tabletop microwave, keeping the AC outlet. As was mentioned you could put a tilt up door on that space so it can be storage while you own the RV if you don't want one. But I boondock and use my microwave for short amounts of time off the batteries and inverter. For longer uses of the microwave more than about a minute I have to run my generator. Battery voltage drops fast when the inverter is drawing 140 Amps DC to run a 1500 Watt AC load from the inverter to power a 1000 W heating output microwave oven, and my particular setup can only do this for about 1 minute before the inverter low DC voltage shutdown kicks in.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:38 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thank you, all!

While I didn't get much of an answer for my request for a compelling reason to keep my microwave, I got enough information to leave me feeling quite comfortable ditching it.

I don't drink coffee and don't consume other hot beverages most of the time, unless it's quite cold, and I'm rather planning not to be in places where it's quite cold very much of the time.

I did lots of thinking and math and there are constraints with this vehicle that contributed, but they're off-topic for this post. That one would something like "cost benefit analysis of boiling water with a microwave versus propane versus electric kettle versus Biolite rocket stove in a motorhome with x solar capacity and y battery amp/hours and z other electrical, space, and weight demands". ;-)
Old 06-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Even at home we use the Micro more than several times a day. When in the MH the same. Baked potatoes, reheat left overs, cup of soup, heat dinner the wife has precooked and frozen, precooked bacon, scrambled eggs, so used to it a must have. But to each there own.

LEN
Old 06-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #11

Now if we were talking about a microwave on a cherry 1967 Corvette--I'd replace it. But if you are worried about "resale" value on a 1987 Bounder--just do what you want/need to [smile]....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #12

Have used our microwave only one time. It is now our bread/chip storage.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Now if we were talking about a microwave on a cherry 1967 Corvette--I'd replace it. But if you are worried about "resale" value on a 1987 Bounder--just do what you want/need to [smile]....
It's not value I'm concerned about really, but utility. I'm going to leave the outlet and repurpose the cabinet and if there's a future owner, they can renovate again if they don't like what I did. ;-)

I have a microwave. I want to get rid of it. Heavy and pretty much useless to me. I'm trying to ditch any weight that isn't necessary for my life. The chassis is pretty heavily loaded the way these were built.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I doubt the lack of a microwave would be a deal breaker in any future negotiations for your MH. :-)

Do what you want, its your motorhome. Maybe save any trim pieces or brackets for future use....

We use our microwave a lot. When we bought our "New to Us" Southwind, the previous owner told us he didn't think it worked. (He was right)

A trip to Walmart and $70 later we were nuking hot dogs again.

Microwave Oven replacement – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote