Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:59 AM   #15

I think the answer depends, in part, on what you like to do. If you like sight-seeing, where you drive to a point of interest, see it, and hop back into your vehicle, you will want to move often.

If, on the other hand, you like to hike or bike, you may want to spend more time in one area, do the hikes or the rides, and then move on. That second model is what we do -- the trailer is our basecamp, and we take the truck each day to a different trailhead.

With this setup, we can access trails within a 45 minute drive of the trailer, in all directions. That's a lot of terrain! (Stuff that is an hour away is not convenient -- we'd spend two hours a day in just "commuting" to the trailhead.)

The advantage of a "basecamp trailer" is that you don't have to pack up all your stuff every day. You leave it in place for several days before moving to a new area.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 07:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Join Escapees RV Club and then you can get the Days End Directory which gives tons of free spots; many with GPS coordinates.

One reference we used a lot were the Benchmark series of road atlases for each state. We had them all because we boondocked mostly and traveled those states as full-timers. The scale is very large so easy to see the roads. It's geared for public lands and the various lands are marked. Honestly, we never had an issue just taking off down a BLM road. National forest roads are a little different to judge but looking at a map we didn't choose the tiniest print road on the map. We chose a little heavier line and again, had no issues with our 40' MH. Once you get into it and use the maps a lot you'll soon be able to pick out good RV roads and by reading the boondocking sites. We've driven a maximum of perhaps 20 mi or so down a gravel road without checking it out first and did that by studying what others have written about the area.

Benchmark has an atlas for all western states and I believe now some eastern states. I will say boondocking is a lot easier in the West. They are pricey but if you typically travel in a couple states they are well worth it. I like paper rather than a GPS. I can pick out good roads easier because they give the whole picture at a glance. I use a GPS for navigation but never to plan a trip. I want to go the way I want; not what a GPS suggests.

https://www.amazon.com/Utah-Road-Rec...1471322&sr=8-3
I'm a member and I can't seem to locate the Days End Directory you are referencing. Would you be so kind to point me in the right direction there please? Or it perhaps be I don't know what I'm looking at. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinICT View Post
I'm a member and I can't seem to locate the Days End Directory you are referencing. Would you be so kind to point me in the right direction there please? Or it perhaps be I don't know what I'm looking at. Thanks.
https://www.escapees.com/benefits/rv...night-camping/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #18

[QUOTE=twogypsies;5911015]Join Escapees RV Club and then you can get the Days End Directory which gives tons of free spots; many with GPS coordinates

There is a few for Days End and you must join the Escapees first.

Both are well worth the money.
Old Today, 02:46 PM   #19

Glad to see the responses you've gotten and your tentative plans/choices! Kinda out of my wheelhouse here as I've no experience with hybrid trucks but looking at the ads and specs on line it certainly seems a viable option. I've never liked the idea of a motor home 'cause as my Dad use to say "Ya gotta break camp just to go to town for a loaf of bread." That said, I camped for years in an 8ft slide in Jayco pop-up camper and never felt so free! In the back of my 3/4 ton 4wd pick-up I could get into places that were astonishing even to most of my very outdoorsy friends! And if I wanted a loaf of bread I made biscuits Given your choices I'd certainly go for the Grand Design. Looks like a great little camper! A portable solar panel would probably keep you out there as long as you want to be there and using limited water and local water resources (rivers, lakes and streams) for dishes and even bathing will markedly reduce your onboard water use. A means to scout potential campsites is dependent on limits to physical activity and whether on not you want to unhook your camper and explore for a site. Best of luck in your travels and hope to hear more about your journey!
rrsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock, boondocking