Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 05:06 PM   #1

Composting toilets Class C

Does anyone have experience with the composting toilets in a class C?

The solids get dried out from wood shavings the likes of hamster bedding which supposedly keeps the smells at bay. After about 3 weeks, just take the stuff in a composting bag to a dump or garbage can (?). No water needed because the liquids gets diverted into a gallon size jug which can be used to water plants that are not for human consumption.

Some cost upwards to $1000 US, BUT there are DIY's out there for building such things.

Just wondering if it's worth it to install one for boondocking.
mcclLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #2

In most C's the black and gray tanks approximately equal the fresh tank. Depending on the size of the unit you will just run out of fresh with a full gray tank. It might buy you a day or two. IMHO I'd rather go out and dump, water up, and do a grocery run every few days. YMMV
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
In most C's the black and gray tanks approximately equal the fresh tank. Depending on the size of the unit you will just run out of fresh with a full gray tank. It might buy you a day or two. IMHO I'd rather go out and dump, water up, and do a grocery run every few days. YMMV

Agree - we can go almost two weeks on the black tank, two or three days on fresh and grey. Depending on where we're at, grey can be handled, but I still run out of fresh. Black tank is the least of my worries. Next RV - 100 gallon fresh!
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:28 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
And be fully aware.....You will have a very difficult time trying to trade or even sell the coach if you go with a compost style toilet....Stay with a fully approved and usable modern toilet..glorified out houses don't cut it. and dung..even when dried is still a human waste/hazmat item.... Don't go looking for trouble.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:40 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclLN View Post
Does anyone have experience with the composting toilets in a class C?

The solids get dried out from wood shavings the likes of hamster bedding which supposedly keeps the smells at bay. After about 3 weeks, just take the stuff in a composting bag to a dump or garbage can (?). No water needed because the liquids gets diverted into a gallon size jug which can be used to water plants that are not for human consumption.

Some cost upwards to $1000 US, BUT there are DIY's out there for building such things.

Just wondering if it's worth it to install one for boondocking.
Watch some you tube videos on it... the 'liquid' is urine, and it smells and for 2 people, you need to dispose of it about twice a week, depending on how much you drink. You would need to walk quite a ways in the wilderness to dispose of it because it's going to be strong smelling. If you are boondocking in city or suburbia, you need to find a place to pour it out, like a gas station restroom...
The solids will also need to have a place to stay, and while they may not smell much worse than it does when cleaning a cat box, you are going to have to dispose of it about once or twice a week. This means finding a dumpster.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:54 PM   #6

Thanks everyone! Great feedback. We’ll not be taking that route.

#green gills# 🤢
Old 11-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #7
tcg

I came across this video a while ago, it's a little long but these guys go into great detail about their composting toilet experience for a year.

Things people may not consider is the venting and the reality of disposing of the waste.

They concluded that for them, even with the pitfalls, it was a good choice.

I concluded there was no way I would ever have a composting toilet in an RV.

tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:02 PM   #8

I have a friend that tried the compost toilet in a bus conversion. They could not stand the smell.
There are electric toilets that turn waste into ash, but I bet they smell in the process?
I'm sticking w/ what works. A holding tank.
I can only guess that the lack of fresh water is the issue here. We have a 100 gallon tank and can go 2 weeks and take a quick shower daily. But we re use water a lot. For instance, never flush w/ fresh water. Our dish rinse water becomes our wash water and then become our flush water. I catch the water during the shower warm up process in a T kettle for normal use. There are a lot of ways to save water.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I came across this video a while ago, it's a little long but these guys go into great detail about their composting toilet experience for a year.

Things people may not consider is the venting and the reality of disposing of the waste.

They concluded that for them, even with the pitfalls, it was a good choice.

I concluded there was no way I would ever have a composting toilet in an RV.

Whoa, they DO bring up a lot good points to consider.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I have a friend that tried the compost toilet in a bus conversion. They could not stand the smell.
There are electric toilets that turn waste into ash, but I bet they smell in the process?
I'm sticking w/ what works. A holding tank.
I can only guess that the lack of fresh water is the issue here. We have a 100 gallon tank and can go 2 weeks and take a quick shower daily. But we re use water a lot. For instance, never flush w/ fresh water. Our dish rinse water becomes our wash water and then become our flush water. I catch the water during the shower warm up process in a T kettle for normal use. There are a lot of ways to save water.

Yes, our fresh water tank is 35 gallons. Grey and black both 32. Don't like having to find a sanidump but it seems like it is worth it. I found an app that helps but RV parks cost $15 sometimes if you aren't staying there.

How does one turn off the fresh in order to flush with the dish water?
Old 11-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #11

I saw that video a while back too, and just can't see how they came to the conclusion that it was worth it after saying what they did.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclLN View Post
How does one turn off the fresh in order to flush with the dish water?
Turn off your water pump.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:06 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I catch the water during the shower warm up process in a T kettle for normal use. There are a lot of ways to save water.
I plan to install a 3 way valve on my shower that will allow me to divert the cool water in the hot water line back into the fresh water tank. I have all the parts, just need to find the time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I plan to install a 3 way valve on my shower that will allow me to divert the cool water in the hot water line back into the fresh water tank. I have all the parts, just need to find the time.
That is exactly what I did. I have pictures of the result on my Blog (on this forum). I added the short section of copper pipe so that I can easily tell when the water is hot. Also notice the inverted funnel, it keeps water out of the jug while showering and lets air out of the jug, when the jug is filling. This saves about 1/2 gallon per shower.

I found the valves at: True Value

Tags
class c, toilet