Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #1

Considering Boondocking

Ok I've always been a camp grounder, power and electric at the least during my stays.
I've done some minimum boondock camping: wal-marts, visiting relatives, rest stops, ect, ect.
All mainly just one nighters.
But this was in our smaller 30 Airstream.
Now we have a 40 THer with 3 slides and I would still like to try to do some bookdocking. Kinda worried about my size.
But I see where some of you still make it work.

Our rig only has one 12v battery so I will be removing the one and add two batteries better suited for this type of camping.
I've done a little homework and read a few books for things such as batteries and amp hours ect, ect....
I do have a Honda EU3000i gen that will be brought along for recharging and maybe nightly TV or entertainment, but for the most part little of that. I love to be outside enjoying nature.

I'm looking at camping on Crystal Beach or also known as Bolivar Peninsula for a weekend, Friday to Monday. As this is one of the closer places where I live and it would give me a chance to check out my boondocking skills.
I read where I can camp there after purchasing a 10 dollar truck tag.
I'm worried about dragging a 13+k trailer onto the sand. I've seen trailers there before, but none as big as ours.
Anyone ever attempted this? I'm sure someone has.
Any and all comments welcomed for a novice boondocker.
RollinThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #2

You've got the power part figured out.
I would never consider taking a rig of that weight on the sand.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #3

Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWillRVToo View Post
You've got the power part figured out.
I would never consider taking a rig of that weight on the sand.
The more I think about trying it the more Im not liking the idea of it.
Sand+THer+1 ton could = Big problems

Well back to the drawing board, Ill look around and find some thing close with hard ground.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
get on ebay get yourself a 100 watt solar panel &cont. for about $ 190.00 and when your out in the day it will be charging up your batts. nobody likes hearing the genny around the camp fire!! enjoy boondocking dan &cathy 8.1 07 fleetwood 36'
teera travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinThundr View Post
Sand+THer+1 ton could = Big Tow Bill

I have to agree there... I want to do some boondocking as well, but intend to stay on terra firma. The firma the bettah...
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I see a bunch of big rigs on the sand here on Padre and Mustang Islands. The trick is to scout ahead and not drive off into soft stuff. The hard packed sand will hold your rig very well.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #7

RT,
If you want to test your boondocking skills run over to "Ragtown campground" on Toledo Bend. Now it isn't boondocking like on the beach or at Quartsite but it is remote enough to test your systems, skills, and it's cheap camping. Close enough to Newton to run home and get what you left. This is where we go when we need to test out something new prior to getting to "Q" and not having it working properly. We are 40' + and it is terra firma , here is a link to help you look it over and just find the place National Forests and Grasslands in Texas - Ragtown
4travlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4travlin
RT,
If you want to test your boondocking skills run over to "Ragtown campground" on Toledo Bend. Now it isn't boondocking like on the beach or at Quartsite but it is remote enough to test your systems, skills, and it's cheap camping. Close enough to Newton to run home and get what you left. This is where we go when we need to test out something new prior to getting to "Q" and not having it working properly. We are 40' + and it is terra firma , here is a link to help you look it over and just find the place National Forests and Grasslands in Texas - Ragtown
Thanks for the link and the info, I was looking at the site and at the bottom it shows RVs to 24 foot.... Is 24 foot the biggest they allow?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I boondock 3 to 4 months a year. I might suggest going some where and try living in you coach w/o hook ups prior to the big trip. I had a fifthwheel with 2 6volt coach batteries and a 120 watt solar panel, which worked out quite well. Then I bought a 37 ft MH with a Norcold 1200 frig. I went the same program for the MH and found that the MH needed more. Wound up with 2 135 watt panels and 4 6 volt batteries. Your usage may be higher or lower. Cheaper to set it up at home then on the road. The good thing is you do not need to re invent the wheel, there are many RV'ers here that have made the mistakes found the solutions and are willing to help. Also you'll need to think about getting fresh water pumped into the coach and the black and grey out and deposed of. Many good post on that subject here on IRV2.

Good travels,
Lemo
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEMO
I boondock 3 to 4 months a year. I might suggest going some where and try living in you coach w/o hook ups prior to the big trip. I had a fifthwheel with 2 6volt coach batteries and a 120 watt solar panel, which worked out quite well. Then I bought a 37 ft MH with a Norcold 1200 frig. I went the same program for the MH and found that the MH needed more. Wound up with 2 135 watt panels and 4 6 volt batteries. Your usage may be higher or lower. Cheaper to set it up at home then on the road. The good thing is you do not need to re invent the wheel, there are many RV'ers here that have made the mistakes found the solutions and are willing to help. Also you'll need to think about getting fresh water pumped into the coach and the black and grey out and deposed of. Many good post on that subject here on IRV2.

Good travels,
Lemo
Thanks for the info. Boy everyone seems to really push solar power.
As far as water I can hold 80 gals. I have a tote for hauling out waste water.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the link and the info, I was looking at the site and at the bottom it shows RVs to 24 foot.... Is 24 foot the biggest they allow?
We are 40' and have stayed there without a problem. We can't fit in all the sites but have always been able to get in. We have been camping on that bluff before they made the lake. Our parents would take us down there in the old station wagon , pick out a tree to stay under, and put out an old quilt and we were cmping.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4travlin

We are 40' and have stayed there without a problem. We can't fit in all the sites but have always been able to get in. We have been camping on that bluff before they made the lake. Our parents would take us down there in the old station wagon , pick out a tree to stay under, and put out an old quilt and we were cmping.
Good deal, sounds like my ideal camping spot! And it's not to far from home for me to try out Boondocking.
Thanks you so much for the info. I was totally unaware of this place.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Good deal, sounds like my ideal camping spot! And it's not to far from home for me to try out Boondocking.
Thanks you so much for the info. I was totally unaware of this place.
You may want to take your truck down there and find the place first before you bring in your rig. This way you can make sure that you can make the turn around at the end of the road. This will also ensure that you turn down the right road if the signage is missing. If you get on the wrong road some of them end in the lake without a turn-a-round. There are a some other campgrounds in the Sabine Nat. Forest look here National Forests and Grasslands in Texas - Camping & Cabins:Campground Camping this will give you some other options.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Sea Rim State Park
Sabine Pass, TX 77655

This park is east of High Island, they have not rebuilt since Ike, but boon docking is good. I haven't been there since Ike, but beach was nice last time we were there.
Have fun where ever you go.
Loozycat is offline   Reply With Quote