RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:59 PM   #1

Dedicated Boondockers Class A Length, Where

Whilst we have a 37ft Class A Gasser, hubby is really pushing (pardon the pun) for a DP. The floorplans we both like are typically longer for the most part. We are avid Boondockers/dispersed campers and can't see that ever changing.

Those of you that boondock almost exclusively in a MH, would you kindly share:

a) What MH you are in Gas/Diesel,
b) Age & length
c) Solar system watts/ah's
d) Tank sizes
e) Exactly where you boondock typically from an accessibility point of view, and
maybe how you source these places.

My concern is that I distinctly remember when our RV was new 17 years ago, and if it got a speck of dirt on it he'd be molycoddling it, and not going down some concern to him locations, where as the past 10 years or so we've gone places that have shocked us sometimes LOL. Hence I'm toying with if new again would really cramp our current style of RVing how we roll, versus something a few years older with a blemish or two already on it.

Sigh ...... Looking forwards to hearing where you folks are taking these bigger rigs off the beaten track so to speak.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #2

Someday,
Well, this is a kind-a tough one to answer honestly. The reason is, motorhomes mean and are cherished differently by all folks. What some folks do to keep theirs in tip top shape and condition, others say "I didn't buy it to polish it, I bought it to use it" and you can tell, since many even newer models look like crap.

But, one thing that you and the "hubby" need to realize is, a diesel coach, for the most part, is quite a bit heavier in all aspects. Tires, wheels, brakes, chassis's, engines, undercarriage's and more are heavier. What does this all mean to you? Well, these heavier units normally don't like traversing off road type situations as easily as gas coaches do. Now, I'm not talking Jeep rock crawling here. I'm talking some situations where I've seen gas coaches go with relative ease where a diesel coach is gonna have issues.

But, this is something that only you and the senior vice president have to determine. NO ONE ELSE can tell you if you'd be able to go where you're used to with a diesel.

Now, as for tank size and all that, well, again, all coaches are different, even diesel models. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, has a 90 gallon water, and a 49 gallon black and 48 gallon gray. It sports a 10 gallon hot water heater and, a 31 gallon propane tank. WE have *remote* camped with it on several occasions. But, we don't do it nearly as much as we used to when the kids were young and with us. The niceties of *hookups* have spoiled us severely. If we want to be in the outback, that's why we tow a JEEP. We go play for several hours, maybe get dirty, maybe not, and, come back to a nice shower, some A/C, and a few other nice things in life.

But, I surely see the other side too. I don't have solar and, in fact, I just recently installed a residential fridge in our coach after 16 years the RV one just started hesitating to keep cold. And all this means, I have to watch my battery power more closely 'cause my new fridge runs off an inverter when not on shore power. So, that also is a reason for us to utilize hook-ups more often.

I hope you fare well in your endeavor. I really like remote/boon dock type camping. I get tired of parking lots with hookups. If we could find the EXACT right spot to camp, I'd maybe invest in some solar for our fridge, who knows.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I love to boondock, but the DW not as much. We have boondocked in AZ and southern CA for 7-10 days a few times. These were desert areas and easy for our 44 bus to get into. Our 100 gallon water tank held up well, as we did our best to conserve water. We didnt use much energy, but did have to run the genset morning and night. We dont have any solar over than the OEM panel.
pduggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #4

The previous owner of my 2004 Country Coach Inspire boondocked annually in southwest Az.
40' DP, 3 slides (2 front, 1 bedroom)

750watt solar with 2 independent systems/controllers.
Residential refrigerator
I think the tank sizes are 100gal water, 65gal black & grey.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:31 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
40' Tiffin Phaeton. 1500w solar / 600ah lithium.

We dry camp about half the time out. Much of January to March in the deserts of the southwest. Then wherever else we travel as we can. Typically in a location for a week to ten days, then duck into a FHU campground for a day or two - dump/fill tanks, long showers, and laundry.

Use the jeep to scout an area if need be to ensure it's doable for the coach.

As for keeping the coach pristine clean, not a big priority. Gets an annual professional wash and wax. Then the occational pass through a truck wash as needed. Have tan/brown exterior color that doesn't readily show dirt.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #6

We boondock or dry camp 40% of the time. With 90 gal fresh, 60 gal grey and 40 gal black we could go 10 days without ultra conservative measures. One week was easy with little thought to conserving. With a gas electric frig and gas water heater we ran the gen about 3 hrs per day. This was in a 2009 36 foot diesel pusher. We were able to get into almost any place we wanted to stay. I highly recommend at least 500 watts of solar. We have this on our new motorhome and gen time has been reduced by about an hour per day. I wash and wax the motorhome on a regular basis. Just personal, but I take pride and a sense of satisfaction in keeping the beast looking good. I am an avid reader of blogs and websites that identify, rate and discuss boondocking, dry camping and national forest camping locations.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post
Whilst we have a 37ft Class A Gasser, hubby is really pushing (pardon the pun) for a DP. The floorplans we both like are typically longer for the most part. We are avid Boondockers/dispersed campers and can't see that ever changing.

Those of you that boondock almost exclusively in a MH, would you kindly share:

a) What MH you are in Gas/Diesel,
b) Age & length
c) Solar system watts/ah's
d) Tank sizes
e) Exactly where you boondock typically from an accessibility point of view, and
maybe how you source these places.

My concern is that I distinctly remember when our RV was new 17 years ago, and if it got a speck of dirt on it he'd be molycoddling it, and not going down some concern to him locations, where as the past 10 years or so we've gone places that have shocked us sometimes LOL. Hence I'm toying with if new again would really cramp our current style of RVing how we roll, versus something a few years older with a blemish or two already on it.

Sigh ...... Looking forwards to hearing where you folks are taking these bigger rigs off the beaten track so to speak.

Soooo... ... ... your problem isn't with the newer rig. It's with your lovable but somewhat overly protective hubby?

Have you thought of this: When he begins his "molycoddling" your newer MH, beat his away with a large fly swatter!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
During the summer we dry camp 5-6 days/week in the rigs below over 16 years and Snowbird for 3 months each winter with FHUs. 100 gallons water into 60 grey-40 black. 1000W solar-880AH, but we seek elevation and shade in the summer so no AC needed. Favorite Public CGs are those that do not take reservations... only have a general idea of where we’ll spend 2-3 months out West.

Will use the car to check out dispersed sites as our base camp. Usually limit off pavement to a couple miles as we are out exploring most days so many miles of gravel, even in the car doesn’t do it for us. Have some scratches on the MH from going where most big rigs won’t getting into the shade.

If we didn’t Snowbird during the winter I might have stayed at 40-42’ instead of going to 45’ recently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	689AA27E-37A5-4271-AC36-B8A8BB5FCD5F.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	299943   Click image for larger version

Name:	2898CEDB-EEA1-43C0-9C55-9B66D9CF0F84.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	299944  

Old 09-05-2020, 08:15 PM   #9

Either way you would want the genny to be gas or diesel not propane it would go through LP too quickly. Most the length your talking ,fuel is same as coach engine.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:13 AM   #10

Holy Moly! THANK YOU ALL so much for such considerate responses that we for sure are taking on board. Scott I hear you on the weight etc, and have been concerned about that. The more I delve into upgrading to a DP and listening to such valid responses like these, the more I deep down feel I want to keep our existing unit till it totally falls apart. We love mountains, lakes, oceans, fishing/kayaking and just being in non-organised environments for the most part = hence the boondocking dispersed camping natures. We don't just want to drive from one location to another "just to be there", we want to be doing things that interest us and we enjoy, otherwise we might as well stay where we are is our theory and most CG's RV Parks just don't cut it for us. Of course to each their own but it's how we roll.

We have put in a residential fridge, 1000w solar 880ah batteries, flat screen TVs, and try to do as much ongoing maintenance as possible ourselves albeit hubby is slowly crippling in the back/hips etc for getting underneath and crouching for any long periods of time, and lifting anything heavy for both us is slowly diminishing. Apart from exercising it once a month and doing maintenance as required we rarely use the generator.

Thanks again thus far, and for sure please all boondockers keep sharing, you truly are helping us a lot.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Where you can go (without getting stuck) is a function of the psi in the tires. Most DPs run 100 psi in the drive tires regardless of size... just bigger tires on bigger rigs. I’ve had to raise my tag axle (when drive started to spin) as it doesn’t increase the psi, it increases the footprint of the drive tires giving more traction. Am I going to try to go through loose sand or mud in a MH, not that stupid and a smaller the size will not help.

If I ever get in the situation where I’m stuck, before I dig down I’ll be letting a lot of air out of all the tires before calling in a wrecker. The DW will also be pulling on it with the 4x4 SUV.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Where you can go (without getting stuck) is a function of the psi in the tires. Most DPs run 100 psi in the drive tires regardless of size... just bigger tires on bigger rigs. Ive had to raise my tag axle (when drive started to spin) as it doesnt increase the psi, it increases the footprint of the drive tires giving more traction. Am I going to try to go through loose sand or mud in a MH, not that stupid and a smaller the size will not help.

If I ever get in the situation where Im stuck, before I dig down Ill be letting a lot of air out of all the tires before calling in a wrecker. The DW will also be pulling on it with the 4x4 SUV.
How much air do you let out of your tires?
pduggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:58 PM   #13

If you are already in a 37ft Gasser, I don't see why you couldn't move up to a 36' to 39' DP. Entry level DP's start out with a 28,000lb GVW chassis. Not much more than the large Gassers at 26,000 GVW. Having the engine right behind the rear axle would increase traction in poor traction conditions too.

While not hard core boondockers, we've taken our 39ft DP to many state and national parks with primitive sights and no hookups. Heck, most the time we are the only class A, let alone DP in those sights. With 100gal fresh, 50gal black, and 50gal grey, its easy to go several days even with a family of five. Make sure you are comfortable maneuvering in tight spaces and you will be surprised the spots you can get into. DP's have much tighter turning radiuses than gassers in general. Dodging low hanging trees is usually our biggest issue. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:49 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pduggs View Post
How much air do you let out of your tires?
I would go from 100 down to 70... much lower than that theres some concerns about the tire staying on the rim plus you dont want the belly dragging.

Tags
boondock, cat, class a