Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2021, 08:38 AM   #15

We have a large Motorhome and I love cooking over a fire pit. I carry a large grill rack I found and use in over the fire for steaks, chicken and chops, Potatoes go into the coals. Also use a Dutch oven a lot, very easy and tasty meals with it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #16

I steamed open some oysters about a week ago at Myrtle Beach State Park over the firepit. Good eats!
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:18 AM   #17

Never, I hate wood smoke. That's why God gave us propane.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:08 AM   #18
YC1

Just bought the Solo. The second sized one down. Only had one fire so far and it really is amazing and works much like the old wash tub. This one has a few improvements and is small and light enough to haul along. I had a pit-to-go I believe a long time ago but could barely carry it around.

I will look into the accessories. Nothing better than something cooked over a hot fire. My pellet stove is close but cannot possibly get the flames to lick the food to perfection. I miss Dutch Oven cooking.

We camp every day. That is, we live on a lake in a rural area so are glamping. It is tough but someone has to do it.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:12 PM   #19

About 1/2 our meals are done on the campfire and 1/2 on either Coleman or TT stove. For us the campfire makes it camping.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:26 PM   #20

We cook most of our meals over the fire pit. Ill take the time to clean pit if needed. Remember the ole adage. Leave it better than you found it. I made this little thing to assist in cooking. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190824_173051.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	333637
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:44 AM   #21

We use the portable firepit shown in the pic below (with the outer rail removed and the legs shortened to fit in the basement) for 90% of our camping at public campgrounds.

Sadly the permanent firepits are often made with a high steel cylinder that blocks a small fire or the firepit is crumbling and unusable.

Also the screen cover makes it safe to go to bed with a few coals burning and not worry about sparks starting a forest fire.

I use this small folding grill that sets inside for cooking, but don't use it very often: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...7RN8BH7GNDSDNK

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping fire pit.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	333768  
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #22

I've never cooked a "meal" over a campfire unless marshmallows or hot dogs count.

On our last trip, my oldest son did cook a great goulash dish over the campground fire pit. He took time to bank up wood coals. I would guess his cast iron pot & pan were 6" above the coals. I was surprised at how quickly things came to a boil. He obviously knows what he is doing.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:15 PM   #23

We did some potatoes last Summer. Whole, wrapped in foil. I cut them in half and put some butter in there with them,.....came out good but took a lot of time.

My one quandary, lots of time with campfire cooking is the amount of wood we have on hand. If we start the fire before dinner time the wood may not last until later at night.
NERoamer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:01 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Everything tastes so much better when cooked over an open campfire!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooking.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	786.9 KB
ID:	369111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Campfire.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	717.0 KB
ID:	369112  

Old 06-23-2022, 10:48 AM   #25

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Fire Cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfskeet View Post
We have a large Motorhome and I love cooking over a fire pit. I carry a large grill rack I found and use in over the fire for steaks, chicken and chops, Potatoes go into the coals. Also use a Dutch oven a lot, very easy and tasty meals with it.

I love to cook over a fire, just got back from a great outing in a beautiful Montana spring day, life is good

I have faced some very negative stuff as of late, let's start an RV Appliance/Cooling thread that is positive!

We have RVed for 63 years, and we have cooked every way known to human kind!

Last afternoon, pork chops on open fire. Cooked on pine coals. Marinated the chops overnight in Worcestershire sauce.

Stir fried jalapeno, red peppers, cauliflower, and zucchini.

Roaring river for ambiance, white wine for refreshment
Old 06-24-2022, 05:49 AM   #26

Official iRV2 Sponsor

The great out doors are just that, great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I grew up camping along a river bank, sleeping under the trees on a cot and cooking over an open fire. Boiling coffee, eggs and bacon cooking over an open fire with a grate...such great smells and memories. Later in the day, fresh caught fish, frying over an open fire and taters baking in the coals.

Ken
That is living!

I can see it all in my minds eye

How did you cook, and what kind of fish?

We would take bacon and hike to mountain lakes, climb a tree and stash the bacon so we were not bear food. Get the bacon going, toss some trout in once the oil was thick, and yum, the skin from the trout was sooooooo goooood
Old 06-24-2022, 07:30 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have a grate I use. Every steak I have cooked while camping is over the fire. They are soo good, you get the smoke flavor. I have a propane grill, it's never seen a steak. Even in the winter no fire no steak.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:30 PM   #28

I know of a couple on another RV forum who cook with their Biolite firepit. They love it and say they use less firewood with it than with the old campground fire rings. The Biolite has a battery powered fan attached to the rectangular fire box for better combustion (not much smoke), and the handles allow it to be moved even while a fire is burning.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire