Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2021, 09:24 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
Do you ever cook your meals over a Firepit?

I'm posting this thread here because most folks that remote/backcountry boondock also sit outside in the evening around a warm campfire.

We love to boondock in our truck camper. We sometimes camp in the DEEP south on property that is VERY remote on a bayou in South Louisiana. When I say remote, I mean this place conjures up thoughts of Deliverance and banjos. LOL..... But this place has been in my family for 100 years and we love to camp here. (just trying to give you a mental image of the campsite)

We always build a fire at night to grill or cook in our Dutch oven and the fire was contained inside a short metal fire ring. A few months ago I watched a few videos on several camping firepits. Seems that the two main ones were Solo (built in china) and Breeo (built in the good ol' USA) These things are stainless steel and weigh about 50 pounds. (SIDEBAR, I don't sell or have any interest in either product)

The videos I watched claimed that once these things get up to temperature, they produce very little smoke. I ordered a Breeo and also ordered the optional grill and support rod that holds a cast iron pot. I gotta say, this thing works GREAT and as claimed, reduces the smoke. We are doing more cooking and grilling over this thing and are having lots of fun learning to cook new things. The challenge is getting the coals just right but I think we just about have it figured out. Also, its fun just to enjoy a warm fire without all of the excess smoke.

I was wondering if any of you have ever used one of these smoke reducing firepits and if you have actually cooked meals over it. Grilling a steak counts, but I'm more interested in knowing if you have actually cooked other meals and if so, what they were.

AND of course, we all know that pictures add a lot to these threads so if you have a photo, please post it.

Here are a few photos from the past couple of weeks.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breeo grill.PNG
Views:	195
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	316460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Breeo Cher.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	316475  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Breeco Roxor.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	316476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Breeo night.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	316477  

Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2021, 09:36 AM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Looks to be an updated version of using an old washing machine drum..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Looks to be an updated version of using an old washing machine drum..

Exactly^^^^^ and at inflated price point

We camped using a washer drum for YEARS
They hold up pretty dang well.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:30 AM   #4

Looks like a metal cylinder open at each end?

Many Forest Service campgrounds use round metal pits. They are usually wider and not as tall as the device in your pictures. Is the concept similar?
Old 01-31-2021, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Exactly^^^^^ and at inflated price point

We camped using a washer drum for YEARS
They hold up pretty dang well.
You guys got me to thinkin' & googlin'. This is what I found.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/7327031...0aApJmEALw_wcB
Tap on the photo and it shows some interesting ways to modify and cook on or in the drum.
Since we're fulltimers I don't know where I would be able to store a washing machine drum. If I figure it out I may be able to also store a 20# propane bottle in it.[emoji848]
[emoji40]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:08 AM   #6

We camp in established public campgrounds, but I often hate their fire rings. They are too tall which blocks the radiant heat in the evening. So we got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It lets the radiant heat through and the fire is a bit higher. We use a simple folding grill to grill steaks, burgers, etc: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We often will wrap a couple of ears of corn in foil, dab some butter on and put them inside near the fire while it is burning down and turn them every ten minutes to roast evenly. Fire roasted corn (even in foil) always tastes better.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:53 AM   #7

IME, smoke has more to do with the wood (type, and how dry it is) than the fire pit...

We cook dinner over the fire fairly often, perhaps half of our dinners.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:10 PM   #8

Problem with using established fire pits is you don't know what was burnt in it prior to you. Too many times there is plastic, cans and who knows what else still in the pit.:(

Unless you bring your own pit... no thanks.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:25 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I occasionally use a fire pit for my DO pans, but I don’t do it over coals. I prefer charcoal so I can manage the heat better. We do cook over fires when camping with the grandkids, but we don’t often do it otherwise. Foil dinners, biscuits on a stick, pie irons - all fun things to do. I have wondered about the Solo campfire containers and wonder how they would work since it is getting harder and harder to find good, clean burning wood due to insect infestations. Since we camp most of the time in the West, many times we have burn restrictions anyway. We bought a propane fire pit, and we sit around it occasionally. Not very good for cooking though.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
We cook over the campfire frequently. I carry two tripods, one for the Dutch oven for making "whatchagot" stew, and another el cheapo tripod with an 20" grill that raises/lowers with a chain. Cooks the best steaks ever with alder. We also cook oysters over the fire to avoid trashing the bbq.
I usually take the time to clean out campground pits and season the pit hot with fir or hemlock first until a good bed of coals are established, then add wet alder or hickory. If it ain't smokin, it ain't cookin.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:51 AM   #11

Yes I do cook over a campfire. I have an old BBQ grill I keep just for the purpose. I will clean the trash out of the fire place if needed, using my folding GI shovel. National Park fire pits are cleaned by personnel.

I also use my TT's oven. An anomaly, I know. What I don't use to cook with while boondocking is the microwave or other electric appliances.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:49 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I grew up camping along a river bank, sleeping under the trees on a cot and cooking over an open fire. Boiling coffee, eggs and bacon cooking over an open fire with a grate...such great smells and memories. Later in the day, fresh caught fish, frying over an open fire and taters baking in the coals.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:30 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
DW just loves a steak cooked over the fire. I have a grate that mounts on a long pole.

A couple we camp with are big duch oven fans. We switch who is doing dinner everyother night. I have seen them use up to three ovens stacked up to make dinner.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:04 PM   #14

Do you ever cook your meals over a Firepit?

Hot Dogs and Marshmallows

Tags
fire