Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #1

Dry Flush Toilet Video Review

For those of you using porta-potties, composting toilets, or just a bucket, there is another option.

I bought a Dry Flush toilet to use in my Cricket trailer for weekends in the boondocks, as well as to use on my boat. This is a pricey ($450) solution, but it's definately a no-fuss, no-muss way to go. If dumping a porta-potti makes you want to gag, then check this thing out:

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
For those of you using porta-potties, composting toilets, or just a bucket, there is another option.

I bought a Dry Flush toilet to use in my Cricket trailer for weekends in the boondocks, as well as to use on my boat. This is a pricey ($450) solution, but it's definately a no-fuss, no-muss way to go. If dumping a porta-potti makes you want to gag, then check this thing out:
Interesting option ... but what I don't like about it, and I am sure sanitation companies do not like is that when it's full you "dump it in the trash".

Although I guess if you compare it to throwing baby diapers into the trash, it's *about* the same.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #3

I think key to this thing is the metal foil bag. There is not much risk of anything escaping out. Diaper genie is just a plastic trash bag. Most adult diapers are probably just thrown in the trash.

Considering this is an occasional use product, and not a full time situation, I'm OK with it from an environmental aspect. A household with a baby or seniors using diapers is a lot bigger deal to contend with.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Me thinks I'll pass on it.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #5

Thanks for posting this. Whether we want to use it or not, it's always nice to know what all our options are.
No More Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How many "flushes" can you get out of each foil refill?
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #7

They say 15 to 17 on the packaging. On the last flush of the bag, there is a big red stripe so you know that is it. If you ignore it, which I suppose could happen, trouble will ensue.

Don't know why there isn't a precise count. Reminds me of the old 35mm films - sometimes you'd get that extra shot on a roll - I'd always get a kick out of that.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #8

Strikes me as a great invention
But......
How much are cartridges???
I wonder if the purchase price is just the beginning of the expenses.
Proprietary cartridges...$$$$$$$$$
Dump less often, by throwing out the toilet stuff at a rest stop garbage can
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:26 AM   #9

It's an interesting new product, but after watching it, struck me as VERY, VERY expensive, and that's without even knowing how much the cartridges are. Reminds me of a giant Litter Genie

Not that much different, really, than putting a nice-looking seat (or seat with surround) over a bucket and using wood shavings & peat moss. Surprisingly, doesn't smell. And when the bucket's getting close to full, just tie up the bag and chuck it. Admittedly, we were looking for a FT, long-term solution, but cost was a critical factor in that. Peat moss and wood shavings are cheap and available everywhere.
No More Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:17 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Interesting concept
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #11

yep, kitty litter in a garbage bag would do the same thing cheaper....just chuck it in a road side garbage can.
Still I love the concept of the toilet, just think the expense is a little too much.

http://www.dry-flush.com

Because of limited dealers, and therefore limited availability.

but I surely love the concept of it, and hope it gains traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No More Snow View Post
It's an interesting new product, but after watching it, struck me as VERY, VERY expensive, and that's without even knowing how much the cartridges are. Reminds me of a giant Litter Genie

Not that much different, really, than putting a nice-looking seat (or seat with surround) over a bucket and using wood shavings & peat moss. Surprisingly, doesn't smell. And when the bucket's getting close to full, just tie up the bag and chuck it. Admittedly, we were looking for a FT, long-term solution, but cost was a critical factor in that. Peat moss and wood shavings are cheap and available everywhere.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #12

This seems to be more of a use and dump toilet. Why not get a real composting toilet instead? Okay, granted good ones cost twice as much as this one. They are supposed to have less odors than a household toilet because they separate the liquid from the solid.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #13

Obviously you don't know anything about composting toilets. They need to be semi-permanently installed - have to be ventilated. So not really conducive to moving them between a boat and a pop-up. Also, you have to carry peat moss and dump out a liquid container occasionally. If you bothered to read the original post, you'd know that a no-mess solution was desired. Despite the hype, a composting toilet can be quite a mess if things go awry. Nobody talks about that dirty truth.

And for those of you suggesting crapping in a bag, especially on top of poo and pee you put in it, or of other people - I just say - eww!!!
Old 03-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #14

wonder if you could use a space blanket as a refill, and yes I did expect him to pee in it
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote