Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #1

Dumping Black Tank Into Home Septic Tank

This has to have been discussed here somewhere, but I have not been able to find anything on the subject.
I will be dry camping in a few months for about four days. My home has a septic system that I take very good care of.
Is there a black tank treatment that is home septic system safe? I would like to just dump my tank when I get home, and not have to stop at a dump station. But I want to make sure that I don't upset my home septic system.
I have seen products that are labelled 'septic safe', but there is nothing on the package that specifically says it's OK to use in a home septic system.

Thanks for any advice!
kazeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 09:32 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will likely get differing opinions. If the septic system is in good working condition, it won't be a problem. Imho.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #3

Just use water ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then dump

Have dumped into home septic system for years
Have dumped into Sisters home septic system on many occasions

CG septic systems are no different then the one at your home

IF you really think you need to use 'chemicals'...septic safe will be OK
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #4

Water is the best for RV septic system but the main consideration is the sudden rush of water and waste in to a home septic system. 50 to 100 gallons of RV waste flowing out of a 3 inch pipe in to your septic system all at once has been known to overwhelm and likely force untreated effluent out of the*septic*tank into the distribution component.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #5

Some of the stuff out there is actually bacteria and enzymes that would be beneficial to a home septic system.

Rhino for instance has one that uses the bacteria to break down the toilet tissue etc... in the same manner you want in your septic system.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-41511-H...83154466&psc=1

I have an Alternative On-Site Sewage System (glorified 3 tank septic system with compressor and agitator) at the house and I have never had an issue dumping my RV tank into the septic system. If I am dumping close to a full tank I might get a septic alarm for too much waste too fast but the system handles it, kicks on the pump, and silences the alarm within about 30 seconds. This has only happened once when I was flushing the tank as part of winterizing.

I will tell you that depending on how often you dump into your septic system you may have to have the system pump a little sooner than planned.

Hope this helps.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #6

Make sure that it is Formaldehyde free, if used in home septic tank..
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #7

I would do it in several discharges. Make sure you put it into the first chamber. There is not supposed to be solids in the second (outlet) chamber. I would think most rv chemicals should be septic safe, as many rv parks are on septic bed systems.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #8

Depends on the size of your home septic tank. Most holding tank treatments are enzyme based with an odor neutralizer and are unlikely to be a problem. The biggest issue is whether or not your home septic system can handle 100 gallons of waste water all at once, and here on the Intertoobs we can't tell you for sure either way.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #9

septic

We have used our septic dump for yrs, but we also put (Yeast) in the septic when finish dumping.Hope this helps
Old 01-07-2020, 11:06 AM   #10

I use Happy Campers, mainly because my inlaws gave me a container that was excess to their needs, and it has no chemical smell. It has no smell at all, in fact. Also has no formaldehyde. FWIW.

https://www.happycampers.store/happy...18-treatments/
Old 01-07-2020, 11:11 AM   #11

Thanks for all of the replies.

Here's some more details about what I was thinking.

There is a cleanout next to where I store the camper. It sits about 4' above grade. I can connect a macerator pump to the camper, and pump the black tank into this cleanout. The pumps I have looked at should be able to pump uphill this far with no problem.

As long as I am careful about the chemicals I use in the black tank, my septic tank should be ok. Right?

Please feel free to shoot holes in this idea. I haven't spent any money on this project yet
kazeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:19 AM   #12

I lived in the RV while I was remodeling my house, 3 months. I emptied the tanks weekly using the Sanicon to pump it about 75 feet from the coach up a rise about 2 feet. No problems pumping or with the septic system.

2007 Signature Noble III 45' ISX 600 HP, Allison 4000
Jetskier50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #13

My friend uses the blue happy camper in his rv. He has dumped at home for years with no problems. He actually credits the chemicals to keeping the tank working better, as he has a shop with 15 employees on the same septic system. Never a problem in many years. I would make sure that clean out goes into the entry side of the tank, and isn't just a vent or something. You don't want to put solids in the second chamber of the tank.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #14

Dumped in Septic Tank for years. Use clean out and or toilet if you have a macerator pump.

Tags
black tank, tank