Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
A catalytic heater contains platinum which is heated and produces the combustion when the propane comes in contact with it. Platinum is a heavy metal, and since nobody has ever proposed drinking the water byproduct of a catalytic heater it would be a good idea to either have a water sample analyzed or distill the water which removes the impurities. It may not be a problem but it's best to take precautions.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks again for your patience, guys!

Just one more question for now, and then I'll go away and cogitate on everything I've learned so far:

I'm still unclear on something asserted at the below link, and wonder if it's accurate.
Google Answers: Combustion of natural gas
About halfway down the page, a fellow says that the water forms when the hydrogen in the propane combines with the oxygen in the air.
Is that a fact?

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #31

Thanks for all this information, now I have a throbing in my head
wingman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Wingman

Not you, too!
Ain't it grand, how much help we get here?
And folks are really nice, no matter HOW harebrained an idea they're confronted with.
But since you're reading this thread, I guess that's pretty obvious...

Francesca
Old 09-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Study the combustion equations. Propane has carbon and hydrogen molecules. Air has oxygen. In the combustion process, the hydrogen is stripped from the propane molecule and combines with some of the O2. Some of the O2 goes to CO2 and CO. In the process heat is released

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #34

Yep, I stand by my original post. There is at least one nutty poster here! I just find it amazing that the thread has survived for 3 pages with someone trying to create the equivalent of a perpetual motion machine that produces water without the use of energy.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Study the combustion equations. Propane has carbon and hydrogen molecules. Air has oxygen. In the combustion process, the hydrogen is stripped from the propane molecule and combines with some of the O2. Some of the O2 goes to CO2 and CO. In the process heat is released
ken
Thanks, Ken

I corralled my Granddaughter's science teacher today, and he explained all that to me, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
Yep, I stand by my original post. There is at least one nutty poster here! I just find it amazing that the thread has survived for 3 pages with someone trying to create the equivalent of a perpetual motion machine that produces water without the use of energy.
Hi Bill

I guess you are talking about me
I'm not trying to make water- I'm just trying to collect what's already there, using energy that's already being expended/wasted.

See the fan in my heater picture?
It generates its own electricity from the "wasted" heat rising off the heater!
Who'd ever have thought such a thing was possible, or worth bothering about?

Thanks again for all the input, guys- I think I've got enough to go on for the moment.
Fall camping is coming up, and if I'm going to build something I'd better get busy...

Francesca
Old 09-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Since the moisture already collects on your windows (the whole 'change of temperature' thing), the mechanism for condensing is already in place and the solution could be simple. As a test and prototype, line your windows with tin foil, shaped so the bottom forms over the window edge and funnels into a small catch basin. A small squeegee could be employed to 'motivate' the water off the foil and into the basin, if needed. Removal of any contaminants is handled with a relatively simple filter...

edit: If light through the windows is desired, a suitable clear 'cling' plastic could be tried..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #37

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting topic. Did anyone actually do any experimenting with this? I am considering adding a catalytic propane heater to my Class C, but the water vapor issue is a concern. The idea of running a small electric dehumidifier has some merit since a by-product is heat. So, I'm thinking that you could reduce propqne use. I found this one http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=267557011

Also, the water could be used for toilet flushing or hand washing if there are concerns about purity.

Sorry to be so late to the game. Just doing some late night surfing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:48 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now I think a sponge would do the trick, then follow up with the still. I've got to go to work but its been a fun read.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #39

A sheet of Bounty® and a coffee filter would be all you would need.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
Do any of you have a 95% or higher efficiency furnace in your stick house?
I do, and let me tell you, it makes water by the gallon. Really.
burns natural gas, or mostly methane. but does it ever make water.
It's plumbed to the drain in the floor, it make so much water. Check out that hi tech item for some ideas on how to get the water. from the fuel burned.
K.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #41

If you consider the weight and volume of still and associated equipment to collect a couple gallons of questionable water woulden't it be easier to carry a couple extra gallons of water?I know, it's the challenge more than the water.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #42

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
woulden't it be easier to carry a couple extra gallons of water?I know, it's the challenge more than the water.
Yep, even if the challenge is only mental.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, water