Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2016, 04:04 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I sure hope the guy trying to make it to his destination doesn't bother you too much pulling into the site across from you, headlights shining in your front window, hollering out the window to the DW trying to spot his unit, at midnight or later and then breaking camp at zero-dark-thirty because he didn't want to be "cheap".

Me? I would NEVER be so inconsiderate as to disturb all those people in a campground who are trying to enjoy their vacation.
I wouldn't know... I never show up at a campground in the middle of the night when I am on vacation (nor do most folks) and after 30+ years of driving large vehicles I also don't need to do any of that crap you describe in order to back my fifth wheel into a spot.

But I will say this... showing up in the middle of the night, most folks pull off to the side, grab some shut eye and wait for the office to open anyway.

But hey, continue to be cheap and park in the truck parking area. When one of these previously described "steering wheel holders" backs into your Phaeton and then leaves you'll regret the choice.
rickmuzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
The use of "Truck Stop" has become redundant. They call themselves "Travel Centers" and do so to appeal to all travelers who want fuel and services. Parking is an amenity they provide without restrictions.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmuzick View Post
I wouldn't know... I never show up at a campground in the middle of the night when I am on vacation (nor do most folks) and after 30+ years of driving large vehicles I also don't need to do any of that crap you describe in order to back my fifth wheel into a spot.
Then I guess you're considerate and a good driver like I am. Good for you, more should be like that, unfortunately most aren't.

Quote:
But I will say this... showing up in the middle of the night, most folks pull off to the side, grab some shut eye and wait for the office to open anyway.
I'm talking about stopping late, midnight maybe, then pulling out at dawn. But you've seen people just pull off to the side after pulling in late, sleep there, then pay for a site they didn't use before pulling out? Strange.

Quote:
But hey, continue to be cheap and park in the truck parking area. When one of these previously described "steering wheel holders" backs into your Phaeton and then leaves you'll regret the choice.

I'm not cheap, I spend my money on one of my several airplanes and travelling, not on things I don't want or need, like a Phaeton.

BTW, 'steering wheel holders' rate right up there with Walmart's, everybody chews about imported crap from offshore and low-paying jobs, but then all those same people mob to the discount stores for 'the lowest price guarantee' or demand higher returns from their investments, that means cutting costs, that means lower wages, THAT means 'wheel holders' instead of professionals.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #60

Truck stops are free. What isn't is their showers, which are technically for truckers. I used them plenty on road trips and mainly when I lived in my car for a while. Although my dad was a trucker and I went on the road with him every year, so I'm fairly comfortable with truck stops. Pilot, flying j (not flyers), TA, all have showers. And some have theaters too, usually TA.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:34 AM   #61

Foretravel Owners Club
Interesting.... after 47 years as a professional "steering wheel holder" I am more comfortable parking in a T/S, altho I do tend to be very choosy on where I park and no slideouts or awnings.... something about an idling engine just puts me to sleep.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:04 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Interesting.... after 47 years as a professional "steering wheel holder" I am more comfortable parking in a T/S, altho I do tend to be very choosy on where I park and no slideouts or awnings.... something about an idling engine just puts me to sleep.
As another former professional wheel holder I couldn't agree more! That idling diesel puts me to sleep! Better than sheep !