Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #1

Experience with Turbo Kool evaporative cooling???

We are investigating the possibility of installing an evaporative cooling unit in our 5th wheel. We spend most of our time in the Southwest so ambient humidity will not be an issue. Our time is divided between volunteering at NPS/NFS/NWS sites and boondocking; but even when we have electrical hookups we would prefer to not run the Air Conditioner more than is "absolutely necessary" (a term that is defined somewhat differently by my DW than by me... LOL)

But since these units are around $600; I'd like to know others' experiences before I shell out the cash.

Thanks in advance...
Mark
yourpcgeek49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2016, 02:48 PM   #2

Curious if this would be in addition to a regular a/c on the roof. If it is hot enough to need this thing running then why not just run the a/c, they both make noise. Sorry, I am not familiar with them but I do know that they need to have water lines running to them and you need to keep the water level full. I was interested in them too but after reading what was needed I decided the a/c is a more efficient way of keeping cool other than some fans inside to move the air around.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:15 PM   #3

I bought a used truck camper that had evap. cooler. The fan vibrated to much so replaced with AC.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #4

When you are boondocking and running everything off batteries & solar panels, running the A/C isn't very feasible. Yes they take water, but they draw about 5 Amps of 12v DC.

Any others with experience??
yourpcgeek49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:23 AM   #5

I had one years ago, it worked well but developed a leak that I could not fix. If you end up getting one, keep us posted on the performance. I always camp in cooler areas in the summer. My plan is if it gets too hot, I will go home and sit in the AC. I can't imagine Boondocking and sitting inside the whole time. We are very lucky here in AZ. The hotter it is the higher elevation I go. All within a couple of hours of home.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #6

We had Turbo-Kools on the last two TTs we owned. They worked very well out here in the deserts where we usually camp. Our 22' Airstream could be kept 20 degrees below outside temp while running the cooler on Medium speed. A single 80 watt solar panel will run one during the day, so battery draw is minimal. Be aware, though, they will go through a LOT of water if you run them on High! I brought (2) 55 gallon barrels of water to Burning Man one year, just for the Turbo-Kool. We were there for 8 days and ran out of water on Day #7.

Another advantage is that they pressurize the trailer with air drawn from above. The wet pad also acts as a filter for keeping dust out. Just remember to clean it regularly and you'll really enjoy it.

Oh, and it's nowhere near as noisy as an air conditioner! Actually it sounds more like a window fan.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #7

I considered installing one on our coach not long ago for use when boondocking on desert BLM land, but then I read that it will cool the inside of the coach by 20 degrees. In my mind that meant if it's 100 outside then it's 80 inside. Under those conditions my wife would have the AC's hummin.

So I passed for now, until I find another RVer who has one in the desert and can further justify the purchase by finding out how well it really works.
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If 80 ever feels to warm to be inside your RV, step out in the 100 degree heat for minute.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
At 100 degrees, even with AC it's hard to do much better than 80F inside. The TurboCool helps, but it isn't AC.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #10

Most ACs work on a 20d differential--intake vs outgo will be about 20d cooler. If the trailer is well-insulated, then the ACs will work well; if the insulation is punk, then the outside heat will work against the 20d differential, and possibly inside will be too warm.
Your results may vary...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling