Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2022, 07:28 AM   #1

Fallout from Walmart lawsuit?

Some idiot wally camping apparently started a fire with his camping stove and set another vehicle on fire, killing one child and badly injuring another.

https://www.businessinsider.com/walm...ng-2022-8?op=1

Any blowback on Wally Parking yet?

Interestingly, the incident happened in 2019 but there is just now a lawsuit?
2002 Country Coach Allure 36 #30752, Double Slide
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2022, 07:44 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post
Some idiot wally camping apparently started a fire with his camping stove and set another vehicle on fire, killing one child and badly injuring another.

https://www.businessinsider.com/walm...ng-2022-8?op=1

Any blowback on Wally Parking yet?

Interestingly, the incident happened in 2019 but there is just now a lawsuit?
The grieving mother had been embarassed by her peers into seeking damages from sources other than the man from California. She had settled with him, leaving him penniless and incarcerated. It's a mess!
Old 08-13-2022, 07:46 AM   #3

She probably won't be but should be charged for leaving the children in the car alone. Chuck
Old 08-13-2022, 07:47 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Stupid people will always ruin it for folks. When we started camping in 1968, you were allowed to drain grey water on the ground. We always made sure there was no trash in the grey water. Many times when we were driving through the campground, we saw pieces of food and vegetables on the ground. People would run them through the sink like they were hooked to sewer. I told my wife that if this was not stopped, soon there would be no more grey water draining. Sure enough in a couple of years they stopped the practice.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:51 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
She probably won't be but should be charged for leaving the children in the car alone. Chuck
It was pointed out elsewhere that her decision to leave the youngsters alone in the parking lot was not illegal in Minnesota at the time. I have not seen mention of any change in that law. Minnesota?
Old 08-13-2022, 08:00 AM   #6

Already being discussed here. With almost 130 replies so far.

And none of which I think includes a “some idiot….” comment.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/walm...rt-590075.html
Old 08-13-2022, 12:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountry1 View Post
Already being discussed here. With almost 130 replies so far.

And none of which I think includes a “some idiot….” comment.

Well since Wally camping is a form of boondocking I expected to find it here and searched for it under walmart before starting this thread.

As for the idiot comment, I stand by it. This was one seriously stupid thing to do. Clearly he wasn't an RVer, I think most of us know not to do anything like that. Also we know to park way out on the edge away from the regular customers.

I notice the courts found the guy who caused it negligent. Frankly I think he got off far too lightly.

We plan some Wally stops on our upcoming 4000 mile trip and would hate to lose this perk, which makes it easy to shop at the same time.

Moderators, please lock this thread.
2002 Country Coach Allure 36 #30752, Double Slide
Old 08-13-2022, 12:31 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This was discussed in another thread. First time seeing the actual filing though. They make some good points about the intersection of this case and laws in the jurisdictions where this Walmart is located. Walmart will probably settle this without admitting fault and stop any more boondocking in locations with similar laws, possibly everywhere.
Old 08-13-2022, 01:09 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
The complaint relies heavily on Minnesota Statute 327.15. That statute's first sentence is "No person, firm or corporation shall establish, maintain, conduct or operate a manufactured home park or recreational camping area within this state without first obtaining an annual license from the state Department of Health."

Now I ask you, did Walmart operate a manufactured home park or recreational camping area?
Old 08-13-2022, 01:16 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
The complaint relies heavily on Minnesota Statute 327.15. That statute's first sentence is "No person, firm or corporation shall establish, maintain, conduct or operate a manufactured home park or recreational camping area within this state without first obtaining an annual license from the state Department of Health."

Now I ask you, did Walmart operate a manufactured home park or recreational camping area?
No. They collect no fees. The public is welcome at most Walmarts to park in the little used areas, and lots of the public does, including cars, minivans RVs of all types and OTR trucks and busses of all sizes. Most patronize the store.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:02 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Already being discussed here at length.
Closed Thread