Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #1

Festivals and RV Parking-5th Wheel a con?

planning on going full time with my SO after i get done taking care of my parent. i have full timed before and convinced my newbie to rvs partner a 5th wheel will be best. now they say they want to go to music festivals, follow sports teams and tailgate etc... i have never been into this kind of stuff. i'm more of a stay in a cg for 1-3 months and explore the area and meet the neighbors person. would having a about 30 foot 5th wheel instead of a 30 foot class a/c without a toad be a huge pain the butt with something like following a college or nfl football team? stadium parking,getting around a city, safety and theft etc....
lilchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Well that all depends on where you go. Naturally there are going to be stadiums and venues that don't have RV parking. You go to a stadium in the middle of the city and chances are they are only going to have a parking garage. And you had better have an Isuzu and a pop up trailer if you want to get into one of those.
I would start by asking if these events are regular yearly , monthly, seasonal events? Or are they willy nilly where ever we feel like going events.
If it's something they already do or are going to do on a regular basis then you could scope them out before you purchase and decide weather you can get an RV in and if there are any addition costs to bringing one in.
There are hundreds of questions you will need to answer.
No one is going to be able to tell you yes you can take it everywhere. You have to do research for each event and find out if you can get the rv of your choosing in there.
Worse case scenario, you park it at the closest campground to the event you want to go to if RV's your size aren't allowed. Naturally smaller RV's are going to have more opportunities than larger and trailer combos.
In my opinion from what I've been to in my life. Most Stadiums do not have parking for trailer combinations. Smaller MH yes. Some have bus and RV parking areas. Some have separate field parking for all RV's. But most likely if it's in the heart of a big city, if there is RV parking it's going to come at a very high price.
So again it's all going to depend on the venue you go to.
Take Care and Have Fun.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #3

As a general statement a 5th wheel is more labor intensive than setting up a motorhome. That said, the newer 5th wheels are making it easier.
I went through that analysis when I made the deicsion to full time. For my way of life I decided on a MH for ease of doing all this on my own. If I do not need electric or water I don't even have to leave the inside of my coach and be all set up. I also want to move every week or 2. That also weighed in my decision.
If I were a stay in one place for a few months I would have been more swayed to a 5th wheel, as you mentioned.
Decisions decisions...
Old 12-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #4

it seems most of the music festivals she mentioned and i could find info on had 20x50 spaces and one or two had 20x40 spaces. some venues said the trailer and tow vehicle have to stay hitched and others didn't say anything about it. and one venue says if you unhook the tow to fit into the space the tow becomes a second vehicle and must be parked in a secondary lot and have a separate parking ticket.
she likes her music and i can see us hopping around a part of the country all summer going to shows.
looks like i gotta rethink this and like the previous poster said setting up the trailer for weekend events over and over doesn't sound like fun.
lilchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:00 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchamp View Post
it seems most of the music festivals she mentioned and i could find info on had 20x50 spaces and one or two had 20x40 spaces. some venues said the trailer and tow vehicle have to stay hitched and others didn't say anything about it. and one venue says if you unhook the tow to fit into the space the tow becomes a second vehicle and must be parked in a secondary lot and have a separate parking ticket.
she likes her music and i can see us hopping around a part of the country all summer going to shows.
looks like i gotta rethink this and like the previous poster said setting up the trailer for weekend events over and over doesn't sound like fun.
Another thing you need to keep in mind is at some of those camping /music types of events you may have to make reservations because those rv spots with hook ups will fill up fast.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:23 AM   #6

Ahhh - music festivals

So the SO and I have gone to a few music festivals, usually on my motorcycle, towing the Roll a Home (get plenty of looks rolling in to a parking lot and have the entire world come flying out of one of those things).... we sold that and got the TT....looking forward to more comfort at the festivals...

Some festivals have hookups...others don't (expect knuckle heads to run generators - the contractor type) for all hours of the evening to keep their A/C running....

spaces are 20 / 40 or 50 (if you are lucky). The ones I have been to require all equip to fit in the space (awnings, ex ups, tow vehicles...etc). Only one "vehicle" per site... the trailer plus the tow vehicle... no companion vehicles.

if the TV doesn't fit in the site, usually have to move it off site... some have close off site parking for a fee...and others require a shuttle to get there...no biggie.

Most festivals are "OK" but watch the roaming "tweakers" working the lots. especially if you arrive early or leave the next morning after the festival.

Good times. Enjoy the festivals. It is not like camping in the woods for certain...just a comfortable place to hang the hat at the end of the night - to get ready for the next day rage at the festival.

HAVE FUN!
marinakorp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel