Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2017, 06:59 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Fill fresh water with no connection

We do a lot of camping in state parks and national parks where no water connections are available on the campsites. I usually stop next to a connection on the way in and use my hose to fill the fresh water tank (48 gallons I think) but then we have to use it sparingly during the time we are there. What tools does everyone use for transporting water to the campsite from the water source? Not looking to spend a lot of money or take up a lot of space. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 07:07 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
My thought is a 5 gallon bucket and using a battery powered transfer pump. Cheap and easy to store, don't mind making a few trips back and forth. Ryobi makes a nice affordable transfer pump that can plug in or work off their 18v batteries, which I already carry a collection of ryobi 18v tools/batteries with me on all trips. And the 5 gallon bucket could store things like my fresh water hose, filter, and connections while traveling, so space taken and weight added would be insignificant.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamperz View Post
We do a lot of camping in state parks and national parks where no water connections are available on the campsites. I usually stop next to a connection on the way in and use my hose to fill the fresh water tank (48 gallons I think) but then we have to use it sparingly during the time we are there. What tools does everyone use for transporting water to the campsite from the water source? Not looking to spend a lot of money or take up a lot of space. Thanks!

We use a 45 gallon portable water bladder that can be gravity fed into your tanks. I have set it up so I can use a portable water pump from my truck into the tanks from the bed of my truck. This works very well in night and The bladder also folds up into a nice compact size[https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Fresh-Water-Folding-Storage/dp/B01FGIBM3O[/URL]
GaryMaryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:14 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMaryanne View Post
We use a 45 gallon portable water bladder that can be gravity fed into your tanks. I have set it up so I can use a portable water pump from my truck into the tanks from the bed of my truck. This works very well in night and The bladder also folds up into a nice compact size[https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Fresh-Water-Folding-Storage/dp/B01FGIBM3O[/URL]

That I one option I was looking at. Since the water connection on my trailer is higher than the back of the truck, I assume the gravity feed wouldn't do the whole job, a pump would be necessary, correct?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:36 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use bottle water for drinking and cooking. Use campground shower if available​.

We two five gallon containers designed for fresh water. Don't have a gravity fill so use a drill powered pump and a couple short length of drinking water hose.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:38 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
We use bottle water for drinking and cooking. Use campground shower if available​.

We two five gallon containers designed for fresh water. Don't have a gravity fill so use a drill powered pump and a couple short length of drinking water hose.

Sounds like you have a similar setup to what I'm picturing. We use bottled water as well for drinking and cooking. I just want to be able to use the shower and wash dishes without fear of running out. Thanks
Old 09-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I guess this won't be needed as much as I'm thinking, I am still limited to the size of the waste tanks for how much water can be run through the system. Unless I want to get a portable waste tank but I'd rather not. I guess campground showers may still be a good idea in these situations, which is what we already do.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #8

Quote:
That I one option I was looking at. Since the water connection on my trailer is higher than the back of the truck, I assume the gravity feed wouldn't do the whole job, a pump would be necessary, correct?

Yes you would need a pump I bought a water transfer pump from harbor freight. Fast and easy 45 gallons means no carrying the cans and lifting them up
GaryMaryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #9

I'm also a big fan of the water bladder.
If you have a sanitizing setting in your water bay you should be able to utilize your trailer pump to transfer the water, another option would be to install a 3 way valve between the pump and the built in water tank.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #10

Our trailer has what they call a "country fill" setting it is accomplished via the valve array. It uses the on board water pump to pull water out of a container into the fresh tank. The setting is very similar (one valve different) from winterizing mode. While I guess it is nice that it can do it you do have to have access to the valve array which means emptying a chunk of the basement storage to remove a panel to get to the valves not all that convenient.
Otherwise I have to pour it in through the regular pressurized tank fill. Which is about 4 1/2 to 5 feet off the ground and requires a hose screw in connection. While I have not done it I have thought about getting a smaller (2-3 gallons so that i can easily hold it up that high while it drains) container, rigging up a hose to it so that I can then use the pressurized water fill instead.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We have used a 5 gallon water bottle with a manual bilge pump designed for kayaks. Very easy, not much effort, and cheap. Look a lot like a big water gun. Also note the size of your gray tank. It wont do you much good to pump more water than you can eventually keep in the gray tanks. We have just started moving the trailer to a dump station when needed and then moving it back. In general the gray tank is the first one that gets filled, even though we still have water in the fresh tank.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
We have used a 5 gallon water bottle with a manual bilge pump designed for kayaks. Very easy, not much effort, and cheap. Look a lot like a big water gun. Also note the size of your gray tank. It wont do you much good to pump more water than you can eventually keep in the gray tanks. We have just started moving the trailer to a dump station when needed and then moving it back. In general the gray tank is the first one that gets filled, even though we still have water in the fresh tank.

Valid point. Then I guess I need to consider a portable waste tank. I see some small, lightweight, and cheap ones that can joke 18 gallons. Our grey tank is 30 so it could empty half in one go if it starts to get full. I'd rather do that than move it to dump and move it back.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Correct, maybe something like this
Old 09-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #14

If you have a gravity fill, I used to carry 5 gallon water totes that I could lift. I had a board that went across the back of the truck. Put the board across and lift the 5 gallon totes up onto the board. I then just used a regular hose and siphoned the water into the camper. No pump required as long as the tote is higher than the fill tube.

Tags
fresh water, water