Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2022, 09:58 AM   #1

Finding water

I'm fairly new to boondocking with just two week-long off-grid trips under my belt, but have had good luck and a lot of fun so far. My question is about where to find place to fill the fresh water tank. I can carry 40 gallons which lasts quite a while but eventually needs to be refilled, especially before going into remote areas where no water is available. So far I've used a municipal park that has a few campsites, but that may not always be an option.

I tend to avoid interstate highways but know some rest areas might have potable water but are there other spots to keep in mind? Specifically, it is considered acceptable to pull into a state park just to fill up with water even if you don't intend to camp there? Thanks!
w9ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2022, 01:35 PM   #2

I boondock almost all the time, and if I have to pay for a night of camping and stay at a state park to fill up with water, I have no problem with that. I also fill up with water at some gas stations, I buy gallons of water at grocery stores, kiosks, and campgrounds in national forests will almost always have water and they are usually pretty inexpensive for the night.

Theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:09 PM   #3

OP, you didn’t state whether you travel with a towed or motorized with or without toad.
Makes a huge difference to us. We only have 37 gal fresh tank, but we carry two empty 7gal Reliant jugs. If we are running out of grease, and we don’t want to move our camper, I simply make a run to fetch more fresh water. Not hard to find it within 10 miles of most BLM camping locations. I use the same trip opportunity to dump gray water using our 27 gal tote. Never had an issue using fresh water and dump facilities at any state park, although some fed facilities may require a dump fee.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:37 PM   #4

Just returned from an extended boondocking trip. Stopped into a state park that was along my route and they charged me $7 to fill my tank with water. I could have used the dump for the same $7 but didn’t need to at the time.

I also travel with two 4 gallon refillable jugs. I have a small rechargeable electric pump that I use if I need drinking water. I also travel with a long funnel with a wide top that I bought at an auto parts store that lets me easily add containers of water to my fresh water tank if I’m not able to use a hose from a spigot.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 10:44 PM   #5

IOverlander app shows water availability, I used it on a 2 month trip to utah/AZ and we Boondocked the entire trip. Never had any issue finding water. I have 6 5.3 gallon wolverine tuff bottles from Amazon and pump into tank but lots of locations I could have filled tank directly.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
IOverlander app shows water availability, I used it on a 2 month trip to utah/AZ and we Boondocked the entire trip. Never had any issue finding water. I have 6 5.3 gallon wolverine tuff bottles from Amazon and pump into tank but lots of locations I could have filled tank directly.
Just curious - why do you prefer the wolverine collapsible jugs over other less expensive choices? I’m looking to purchase some collapsible bottles and would welcome your experience.

Also - have you used ioverlander to locate camping spots, or only to find amenities? Some of the app reviews commented on inaccurate boondocking information and/or overcrowding due to the popularity of the app.

Sorry, OP, for pirating your thread a bit, but hopefully my questions are of interest to you too! 😊
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:47 AM   #7

I fill up our water tank/jugs at campgrounds. We just stay there for a night rather than stopping in to fill up. If you’re going to just stop in for water, I’d suggest checking with the camp host to see if there’s a fee.

I prefer hard sided water jugs to flexible ones. While they take up more room when not in use, they’re more durable. I use a Milwaukee transfer pump to move water from the jugs to the fresh water tank.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 09:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
Just curious - why do you prefer the wolverine collapsible jugs over other less expensive choices? I’m looking to purchase some collapsible bottles and would welcome your experience.

Also - have you used ioverlander to locate camping spots, or only to find amenities? Some of the app reviews commented on inaccurate boondocking information and/or overcrowding due to the popularity of the app.

Sorry, OP, for pirating your thread a bit, but hopefully my questions are of interest to you too! [emoji4]

I bought them because they take up very little space and I didn’t mind paying for a good product, these are very durable bags and that’s what I was looking for. I use the push in tubing connector with clear tubing over to my spare water pump to pump into the tank, 6 minutes per bag.

And yes I used IOverlander to find all the places we stayed on the trip its my favorite app. We’re retired and made the trip during the offseason and we had no issues with overcrowding or inaccuracies. I look at google maps satellite to help judge if we can get our rig in there or not. Then when we arrive we scout with the Jeep before taking the moho offroad.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:11 AM   #9

Lots of good info
Old 10-18-2022, 09:23 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AFAIK all rv parks will allow you to dump the tanks and refill fresh water for a nominal price

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
AFAIK all rv parks will allow you to dump the tanks and refill fresh water for a nominal price
Nominal is a subjective term. One place in McCall, ID wanted $40 or $50 to dump. Most places want $10.
Old 10-18-2022, 12:39 PM   #12

I also carry a 12v transfer pump, but use it primarily to pump gray water into my tote if I need to put the tote in the truck bed to take it somewhere to empty it. Might not work for many, but Rather than pumping water into the gravity fill, it’s easier to put the jug inside the door and let it drain through an old cpap hose like this:
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2022, 05:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
Not all,I needed a place todump after staying at a relatives house/driveway in MN several years ago. Called around and found one for $10.00 but I remember one that was only if you stay here can you dump. Jim.
04fxsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 08:38 AM   #14

Thanks for all the good suggestions!

I have a truck camper so the water fill port is not easily accessible without a hose, so I'll be adding a 12V pump and suitable hose and water containers to allow me to transfer water if necessary from a water jug or collapsible bag. It's good to have options!
Bob
w9ran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water