Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-25-2021, 11:56 PM   #1

First-time boondocking. Maybe.

This August, my wife and I moved to Salt Lake City and away from all our family in Indiana. Returning home for every holiday isn't practical, so for Thanksgiving this year, rather than go back (Christmas instead), we hope to boondock in a Nat'l Forest/BLM area with our 40' DP in the southern half of Utah for the weekend. No toad. Looking for suggestions of where good spots might be, or how to find them. Obviously, must be easily accessible for a 40-footer. Trying to avoid higher elevations and mountains, they've all been getting a fair amount of snow so far and I'm not quite ready for that!
Thanks!
IND2SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2021, 12:49 AM   #2

Plug in a town and see what comes up on this site:

https://freecampsites.net/#!sterling,+utah

Here's another good site:

https://www.campendium.com/utah
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:48 AM   #3

Download the “Ultimate CG” and Campendium apps.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND2SLC View Post
This August, my wife and I moved to Salt Lake City and away from all our family in Indiana. Returning home for every holiday isn't practical, so for Thanksgiving this year, rather than go back (Christmas instead), we hope to boondock in a Nat'l Forest/BLM area with our 40' DP in the southern half of Utah for the weekend. No toad. Looking for suggestions of where good spots might be, or how to find them. Obviously, must be easily accessible for a 40-footer. Trying to avoid higher elevations and mountains, they've all been getting a fair amount of snow so far and I'm not quite ready for that!
Thanks!
Southern half of the state is a pretty big chunk of land. There is dry camping around Moab and some others around Kanab. Long distance between those places so perhaps more of a pinpoint area would be helpful.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:37 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
You are in a great place for boondocking. Just look at some of the apps like Campendium. You can also ask your co-workers. Many of the folks I used to work with in SLC would boondock regularly in massive fifth wheel toy haulers.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:22 PM   #6

Have you looked into Kodachrome State Park? Not boondocking, but it is great and also well-located.

My only hesitation about taking a big rig into the boonies in southern Utah is the mud: if there is a rainstorm, the dirt roads turn into soup.

But if the forecast is clear and dry, the sky is the limit. BLM land is usually available -- the BLM interactive online map is helpful, once you learn how to use it. It is not easy to use, at least at first.
Old 10-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #7

Check out the BLM interactive map as advised! This will give you areas you can boondock on, then use google earth/satellite views and zoom in to see arteries off the main drag = often we've seen RVs in those images to know what size we would fit into. Also Allstays, Campendium, free campsites.net, Ioverlander, TheDyrt and several others also have listings, but the BLM site will show you dozens more options that aren't usually so publicly known. Also the USFS site as well.

Happy B'docking, it's all we do 99.9% of our trips and we wouldn't have it any other way.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 01:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Southern half of the state is a pretty big chunk of land. There is dry camping around Moab and some others around Kanab. Long distance between those places so perhaps more of a pinpoint area would be helpful.
It is indeed pretty big, and I don't have a specific location in mind, but maybe attributes. No open areas, hopefully dry, good hiking nearby, sparse evidence of humans. I think I found a spot in Capitol Reef that's actually paved and well-hidden. May need a Sunday recon drive to be sure it's as real as Google Earth Street View claims!
IND2SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:57 AM   #9

Southern Utah is one of our favorites. Always Boondock, take a toad, enjoy! Been hitting S. Utah since 1980....
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #10

"Days End" which is a splinter group of the "Escapees" can help. The download is a 900+ page document, updated continually by its members and published for downloading several times a year. It is organized by state. I've been a member of both for 20 years, and I know it has saved me Thousands of dollars. I have used it in the East, West, Alaska, Newfoundland and Canada.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:47 PM   #11

BLM has a good interactive map
https://blm-egis.maps.arcgis.com/app...d9d4d729bc03f7

So does USFS
https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/

You also need to pay close attention to the weather. Thanksgiving in Utah can be quite stormy, or as pleasant as you please. If it storms, it might be a few days before you can drive out on a dirt road.
OTOH, if you catch a good stretch of wx, you will be hooked.

Tags
boondock, boondocking