Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
State parks that don't have full facility's, have a dump satiation and a fresh water fill. But many campgrounds will let you dump and fill for slight fee, flying J. you can check ahead, Just need to investigate a little. Some states have dump stations in some rest areas.It's all good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PD_0039.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	41666  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #16

I have been RVing since the 60's and this full /half/quarter etc tank while travelling discussion comes up all the time and it is what really works best for each person.

I like to be prepared for the unknown at all times. You never know when you will need Full Fresh, Propane and Gas/Diesel and empty black and grey tanks.

I do not see any significant economic or operational advantage in travelling with less than a full fresh water tank. However if one thinks they should lighten the load then of course only put 1/4 tank of fuel on board and never fill up the propane tank also for the same reason one would carry less water. Not what I would do but the load would be lighter,

As far as how much water does one need for 2 days is soooo variable because it totally depends the size of the tank and usage patterns. These are unknown components to the equation so any credible answer is difficult and likely impossible to answer.

The sage advice provided was full FW, Fuel & propane and empty grey and black tanks. And fill up the fuel again before you go into boondock mode, Your gen will likely not work below 1/4 fuel.

Gen usage is totally dependent upon demand and again what you are running, for example the AC requires AC all the time so the gen would run all the time you have it on

Since we do not know the quantity and battery status, or the 12v supply demand, including the inverter, the answer to this is equally impossible to answer.

When I had DP's my FW exceeded 100gal, I now have a B+ with 55gal, we could go about week or so with the DP, but this was on water conservation mode and not running the clothes washer, We can get about 3-4 days with our current rig. But this is using water conservation methods we would use about 15 gal per day in conservation mode. For example I use other washroom options if they are available, my DW uses the RV facility exclusively. A shower every 2 days or do a dry shower, (water not running all the time.)

Hope this helps,

Good luck and have a safe and fun trip.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by damdannyboy View Post
Really Stan? The dumbest, I usually run 1/4 tank till I get to my destination, fill-up there or close by! I try not to let the house battery's fall below 12.5 volts. mano is looking for tips and hints! Not to have his b_ lls busted.
That only suggests you don't go very far from home, i.e. you don't spend a whole lot of time RVing!

While we typically travel from Pacific Rim National Park to St. John's Newfoundland; Alaska to the Everglades, or Ontario to California; seizing upon the occasion to refill the tanks whenever the opportunity arises, is merely a way of life for RVers who spend any amount of time on the road.

For anyone who never needs more than a quarter tank of water to arrive at their destination . . . .
Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano View Post
Thanks Damdannyboy, I meant how much water would I need for 2 days didn't want to carry extra weight
In your initial query, you did not mention carrying extra weight; just normal weight, which would normally mean a full tank of water. ??

Depending upon your hygenic habits though, a quart of water and a case of beer might do.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
That only suggests you don't go very far from home, i.e. you don't spend a whole lot of time RVing!

While we typically travel from Pacific Rim National Park to St. John's Newfoundland; Alaska to the Everglades, or Ontario to California; seizing upon the occasion to refill the tanks whenever the opportunity arises, is merely a way of life for RVers who spend any amount of time on the road.

For anyone who never needs more than a quarter tank of water to arrive at their destination . . . .
Stan that's great, and you should have said that in the first place, instead you probably made the guy feel bad for asking a legitimate question. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #20

I too...

...leave with about 1/4 tank of fresh water good for about 2 days on the road. No use hauling all that extra weight. Especially with a 3880 lb. camper. Never have a problem filling up with water at a most any business along the way... or near our boondocking sites.

We boondock all the time. But travel 1,300/1,600 miles from home to isolated BLM land out west. Usually within a 100 miles of destination we are still on an interstate or well traveled highway. Flying J and many other truck stops are good along the interstates.

My wife and I can dry camp 5 or 6 days without adding fresh water or dumping. 46 gallons of fresh, 35 grey and 22 black. We are very conservative with our water and battery power. Coffee perculator on the gas range, 2 minute showers, use throw away plastic bowls, dishes, spoons cups. Eat mostly out of cans or pasta, soups, cereal, fruit and salads. Haven't run out of water yet. Minimum battery use. Sleeping bags without heat. If temps go below freezing we set the furnace on 50 degrees. And as for dumping....same thing leaving ususally a spot within 100 miles of our camping sites or enroute between spots.

We go for long 4,000 to 6,000 mile camping hiking trips. 15 to 25 days. Short trips require less planning.

Bob
bubbajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #21

We do several short 'boondocking' trips during the summer and use our MH as a base camp during the hunting season. We always leave home with full tanks of water, Propane and fuel, along with empty holding tanks. For the short trips, 3-5 days, we seldom have an issue with not having eoungh water, propane or fuel. During the hunting trips, we watch water usage real close. With short showers and doing the dishes every few days, we normally have enough water to last 10-14 days. As far as showers go, every 3-4 days with good use of 'wet wipes' in between. If they were good enough for me while 'deployed' then they are good to go at home. As far as the generator goes, we will start it in the morning to ensure that the batteries are good to go for the day. Then at night, we watch a DVD movie and top off the batteries for the night.
It takes a 'few trips' to figure everything out and what works for each of us. Try different approaches and find what works for you and yours. Also the different seasons will make you shift how you boondock. During the summer the temps are not too bad. During our hunting season, it could get a little chilly 30s to mid teens.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
mano, don't be discouraged by what sounds like negative responses to questions. The first time I posted a question, I was pounded by several respondees. I was a little shocked and taken aback, I thought this was a friendly forum. Nevertheless, some others stepped up with good information and advice. And I am still an avid irv2 fan, whenever I have the time.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkers View Post
mano, don't be discouraged by what sounds like negative responses to questions. The first time I posted a question, I was pounded by several respondees. I was a little shocked and taken aback, I thought this was a friendly forum. Nevertheless, some others stepped up with good information and advice. And I am still an avid irv2 fan, whenever I have the time.
No problem, same here, the negativity does not bother me, like you said there is still good information in this forum
mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Me and my wife are planning to dry camp the 4th weekend, were going to her cousins in Pa. Any tips as far as how much water to store in my tank and when to run the generator I have a 4000 watt on board generator, and conserving battery power, and any other tips I need to know
Carry 10-15 gallons of fresh water until you get there and then fill the tank all the way up before you get settled in. Run the generator every chance you get until you figure out your consumption. After a couple of days you'll be a veteran camper with stories to tell.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Me and my wife are planning to dry camp the 4th weekend, were going to her cousins in Pa. Any tips as far as how much water to store in my tank and when to run the generator I have a 4000 watt on board generator, and conserving battery power, and any other tips I need to know
As mentioned above if you are in a coach with an onboard, I have actually seen gennys cut out at 1/2 tank.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #26

When you are drycamping do as much on propane as possible, and use your batteries as little as possible. Start out with water tanks full and waste tanks empty. Instead of showers how about a sponge bath? The object is to save your resources as much as possible.

Gerry
GerryKiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #27

As was mentioned, how much water you choose to haul in your fresh water tank is personal preference. I never carry water in my fresh water tank, just like I never carry 5 gallons of water in the car when we take it. Everyone makes a pit stop when we stop for gas so we don't use the toilet when we are in route. If we happen to overnight somewhere along the way, I stay at a place that has bath and shower facilities and we use them.

When we dry camp, I fill up before I set up the trailer either at the campground we are in or at a place close by. We normally dry camp for 10 days so I'm hauling about 15 gallons of water every few days anyway. Also, we don't use a generator. I have two batteries on our trailer, a small solar charger and we've changed out all the lights to LED's. Where we camp, we don't need to run the heater or the A/C. We make our coffee the old fashioned way, with a percolator on a small propane stove.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I haul a full load of water most of the time. My rig seems to ride better that way since I have around 2K in the garage. I prefer to use my own facilities rather than truck stops or public rest areas. I also like to, put out the slides, start the genny and AC, and have a nice lunch.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote