RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #1

Flagstaff to Kalispell

My family is heading off on a 4 month trip with our 30ft travel trailer this summer. We have two kids, 2 years old and and infant, and our two dogs. Pre kids, my wife and I traveled all over the west with our expedition style trailer and roof top tent so finding boondocking sites was pretty stress free since we could take trailer anywhere our 4runner would make it. Now with a proper travel trailer, we will have to be a more careful in spot discovery, so I am reaching out to this group for site suggestions. We will be camping in Flagstaff mid May for the Overland expo then plan to head north to Glacier national Park before heading west into Washington and south down coast. We would appreciate any good suggestions for awesome dispersed spots on our route to Kalispell. Keeping in mind, road side pull outs are less than ideal with a very mobile toddler. Thanks!

nabcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2020, 05:55 PM   #2

Have you tried https://freecampsites.net they provide a lot of good spots with reviews. I'm building a map with spots myself. One thing, do not try Hungry Horse Reservoir south of Kalispel. We had a bad roblem there and there just are very few spots for 30 ft trailers. For whatever reason boondockers don't seem to be very interested in sharing spots. Probably in the hope to prevent them from being overwhelmed.

I'd also suggest MVUM maps which you can download from the Forest Service district websites. It takes a bit to get your eye adjusted to reading the oddball map notations but they will provide a lot of info. I have 8 or 10 in my library now. IIRC the river off Hwy 2 south of the park has distributed camping all up and down the banks.

Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabcracker View Post
My family is heading off on a 4 month trip with our 30ft travel trailer this summer. We have two kids, 2 years old and and infant, and our two dogs. Pre kids, my wife and I traveled all over the west with our expedition style trailer and roof top tent so finding boondocking sites was pretty stress free since we could take trailer anywhere our 4runner would make it. Now with a proper travel trailer, we will have to be a more careful in spot discovery, so I am reaching out to this group for site suggestions. We will be camping in Flagstaff mid May for the Overland expo then plan to head north to Glacier national Park before heading west into Washington and south down coast. We would appreciate any good suggestions for awesome dispersed spots on our route to Kalispell. Keeping in mind, road side pull outs are less than ideal with a very mobile toddler. Thanks!
You might want to consider Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:44 PM   #4

Anyone looking for boondocking spots should consider "Days End" which contains 900+ pages of spots throughout the US and Canada. Published 4-5 times a year (on line) and constantly up-dated by members. Minimal cost. It has been my source for boondocking for 20 years.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:55 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We live in Kalispell / Flathead Valley. Let me know if I may assist with local knowledge.
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Anyone looking for boondocking spots should consider "Days End" which contains 900+ pages of spots throughout the US and Canada. Published 4-5 times a year (on line) and constantly up-dated by members. Minimal cost. It has been my source for boondocking for 20 years.
It is definitely a good reference but it's only available to Escapees members.

https://www.escapees.com/benefits/rv...night-camping/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
One thing, do not try Hungry Horse Reservoir south of Kalispel. We had a bad roblem there and there just are very few spots for 30 ft trailers. For whatever reason boondockers don't seem to be very interested in sharing spots. Probably in the hope to prevent them from being overwhelmed.

We actually spent a week at Hungry Horse Lake at Doris Creek Campground with our 34' 5th Wheel and we had no issues getting in there. We were in a NF Campground dry camping for sure and NOT completely boondocking but I think it was very reasonable ($12-16 a night) but the campsites were very large and not right on top of each other, right next to the water and a very nice place to stay.

Unfortunately, while our destination was Glacier there was a pretty bad forest fire that summer and the park was closed.....but the area and Flathead lake were all very cool!!
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #8

Try the public lands overlay maps from these folks.

https://www.technomadia.com/2019/07/...pp-collection/

RickLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags