RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 11
Flagstaff to Kalispell

My family is heading off on a 4 month trip with our 30ft travel trailer this summer. We have two kids, 2 years old and and infant, and our two dogs. Pre kids, my wife and I traveled all over the west with our expedition style trailer and roof top tent so finding boondocking sites was pretty stress free since we could take trailer anywhere our 4runner would make it. Now with a proper travel trailer, we will have to be a more careful in spot discovery, so I am reaching out to this group for site suggestions. We will be camping in Flagstaff mid May for the Overland expo then plan to head north to Glacier national Park before heading west into Washington and south down coast. We would appreciate any good suggestions for awesome dispersed spots on our route to Kalispell. Keeping in mind, road side pull outs are less than ideal with a very mobile toddler. Thanks!
__________________

nabcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2020, 05:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 409
Have you tried https://freecampsites.net they provide a lot of good spots with reviews. I'm building a map with spots myself. One thing, do not try Hungry Horse Reservoir south of Kalispel. We had a bad roblem there and there just are very few spots for 30 ft trailers. For whatever reason boondockers don't seem to be very interested in sharing spots. Probably in the hope to prevent them from being overwhelmed.


I'd also suggest MVUM maps which you can download from the Forest Service district websites. It takes a bit to get your eye adjusted to reading the oddball map notations but they will provide a lot of info. I have 8 or 10 in my library now. IIRC the river off Hwy 2 south of the park has distributed camping all up and down the banks.
__________________

Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
HoneyBadger's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, Washington State
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabcracker View Post
My family is heading off on a 4 month trip with our 30ft travel trailer this summer. We have two kids, 2 years old and and infant, and our two dogs. Pre kids, my wife and I traveled all over the west with our expedition style trailer and roof top tent so finding boondocking sites was pretty stress free since we could take trailer anywhere our 4runner would make it. Now with a proper travel trailer, we will have to be a more careful in spot discovery, so I am reaching out to this group for site suggestions. We will be camping in Flagstaff mid May for the Overland expo then plan to head north to Glacier national Park before heading west into Washington and south down coast. We would appreciate any good suggestions for awesome dispersed spots on our route to Kalispell. Keeping in mind, road side pull outs are less than ideal with a very mobile toddler. Thanks!
You might want to consider Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:44 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 2,270
Blog Entries: 6
Anyone looking for boondocking spots should consider "Days End" which contains 900+ pages of spots throughout the US and Canada. Published 4-5 times a year (on line) and constantly up-dated by members. Minimal cost. It has been my source for boondocking for 20 years.
__________________
'04 Newmar MADP: 1.1+Kw solar, Silverleaf, '17 Rubicon 3" lift
ByeTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:55 PM   #5
Member
 
Yonder's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 59
We live in Kalispell / Flathead Valley. Let me know if I may assist with local knowledge.
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:04 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Enjoying the Western States!
Posts: 10,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Anyone looking for boondocking spots should consider "Days End" which contains 900+ pages of spots throughout the US and Canada. Published 4-5 times a year (on line) and constantly up-dated by members. Minimal cost. It has been my source for boondocking for 20 years.
It is definitely a good reference but it's only available to Escapees members.

https://www.escapees.com/benefits/rv...night-camping/
__________________
Full-timed for 16 Years . . .
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th wheel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
paul65k's Avatar


 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
One thing, do not try Hungry Horse Reservoir south of Kalispel. We had a bad roblem there and there just are very few spots for 30 ft trailers. For whatever reason boondockers don't seem to be very interested in sharing spots. Probably in the hope to prevent them from being overwhelmed.

We actually spent a week at Hungry Horse Lake at Doris Creek Campground with our 34' 5th Wheel and we had no issues getting in there. We were in a NF Campground dry camping for sure and NOT completely boondocking but I think it was very reasonable ($12-16 a night) but the campsites were very large and not right on top of each other, right next to the water and a very nice place to stay.

Unfortunately, while our destination was Glacier there was a pretty bad forest fire that summer and the park was closed.....but the area and Flathead lake were all very cool!!
__________________
Paul & Jean
2001 Alpine 36FDDS (350HP)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 43
Try the public lands overlay maps from these folks.

https://www.technomadia.com/2019/07/...pp-collection/
__________________

__________________
Rick
2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK,
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke, PullRite Superglide
RickLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ags



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with RV repair in Kalispell, MT M2D Northwest Region 2 09-01-2017 10:45 AM
Route Advice from Calgary to Kalispell, MT fiddleddd Navigation, Routes & Roads 5 08-01-2016 05:41 AM
Fargo ND to Kalispell Montana in a gasser 2Labs Navigation, Routes & Roads 2 04-21-2015 10:15 PM
Kalispell, MT (near Glacier National Park) Dick R Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 6 02-16-2005 06:03 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×