Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #15

Flaming Gorge Dispersed Camping Locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
Hi George - you bet!

My current location is listed as 40.98676 -109.62791. However; when found on Google Maps, it appears to be more like 40.993883, -109.627867. These two photos taken this morning, just for you!!

The two accessible spots that had no cell signal were at about the following coordinates. Both of these are from memory using Google Maps so I might be off a little ways.

41.141323, -109.577755

41.060035, -109.600847

I may go exploring in the Jeep again this week. I think

41.068309, -109.552934 looks like a possibility but need to scout it out.

Looks like a nice spot! Hey can you tell me what waterbody that is? I will google "flaming gorge" in the mean time. I put a post on here about looking for places to boondock and a place to ride an atv.
Looking for some moderate warmth too. Not sure if where you're at is warm come Dec/jan/feb?what is the nearest town so i can research your area?

Glad to see someone taking a Class A off the black top and onto the dirt road!
ROLLNSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #16

Ok i just did some googling... Lol
Looks like a nice spot.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLNSMOKE View Post
Hey can you tell me what waterbody that is?
It is the Green River, I'm not sure if it has any other name.

Quote:
I put a post on here about looking for places to boondock and a place to ride an atv. Looking for some moderate warmth too. Not sure if where you're at is warm come Dec/jan/feb?what is the nearest town so i can research your area?
Yes, I responded to your thread yesterday with the places that I know ATV's are allowed down in NM and AZ. I'm not into that so am not much help. Sorry.

I am currently very near the very small town of Manila, UT. I'm pretty sure that it is NOT warm here in those months. You can probably get a good idea of temps with a site such as Climate - United States - Monthly averages

Quote:
Glad to see someone taking a Class A off the black top and onto the dirt road
Old 09-17-2015, 10:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
It is the Green River, I'm not sure if it has any other name.

Yes, I responded to your thread yesterday with the places that I know ATV's are allowed down in NM and AZ. I'm not into that so am not much help. Sorry.

I am currently very near the very small town of Manila, UT. I'm pretty sure that it is NOT warm here in those months. You can probably get a good idea of temps with a site such as Climate - United States - Monthly averages

Ok yes i seen your reply. Cool ya i'm trying to decide if maybe i should take a truck camper instead of toy hauler. That way i vould take the jeep and a quad. But wouldn't b as compfy as the toy hauler... I've roughed it enough over the years.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Looking for some moderate warmth too. Not sure if where you're at is warm come Dec/jan/feb?what is the nearest town so i can research your area?....
I can answer that one. I used to live in Vernal, UT for a couple of years, Rock Springs for a few years, and in Evanston for over 7 years. I had a boat and literally spent hundreds of nights on that lake camping out in the boat.

Winter is harsh and long. The only activities on that lake in Dec/Jan/Feb is ice fishing. We used to drive cars out to where we wanted to drill a hole. If you want to spend time there, you'd better get over there soon, or it's gonna be real wintery..!

Summers are great temperature wise, but it's only about 3-4 months where it's comfortable. Storms come blowing in off the mountains and can come upon you in a hurry. People in small boats are taking their lives into their own hands. I had a 25' cabin cruiser and sometimes had water washing over the bow if I got caught out and didn't get tied off someplace in time.

There's hardly anyplace on the Utah side to drive to the water. JFNM must have put into Sheep Creek Canyon, or driven clear down to the dam in order to find a camping spot close to the water. Otherwise, they are way above the lake. There is a nice Forest Svc campground on the east side if you cross the dam and go a few miles north. There's also a good Forest Svc CG at Lucerne Marina just north of Manila, UT on the west side.

I moved out of WY in the late 80's, so all my info is somewhat dated. I took my MH through there a couple of years ago, and not that much has changed. If anybody is headed east out of Vernal, UT they might enjoy the campground next to the Green River at the Dinosaur Natl Monument. Enjoy the beautiful drive through the Uinta Mtns heading south to Vernal, but be careful on the steep hills and curves!!

I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have on the area!
Old 09-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
I can answer that one. I used to live in Vernal, UT for a couple of years, Rock Springs for a few years, and in Evanston for over 7 years. I had a boat and literally spent hundreds of nights on that lake camping out in the boat.

Winter is harsh and long. The only activities on that lake in Dec/Jan/Feb is ice fishing. We used to drive cars out to where we wanted to drill a hole. If you want to spend time there, you'd better get over there soon, or it's gonna be real wintery..!

Summers are great temperature wise, but it's only about 3-4 months where it's comfortable. Storms come blowing in off the mountains and can come upon you in a hurry. People in small boats are taking their lives into their own hands. I had a 25' cabin cruiser and sometimes had water washing over the bow if I got caught out and didn't get tied off someplace in time.

There's hardly anyplace on the Utah side to drive to the water. JFNM must have put into Sheep Creek Canyon, or driven clear down to the dam in order to find a camping spot close to the water. Otherwise, they are way above the lake. There is a nice Forest Svc campground on the east side if you cross the dam and go a few miles north. There's also a good Forest Svc CG at Lucerne Marina just north of Manila, UT on the west side.

I moved out of WY in the late 80's, so all my info is somewhat dated. I took my MH through there a couple of years ago, and not that much has changed. If anybody is headed east out of Vernal, UT they might enjoy the campground next to the Green River at the Dinosaur Natl Monument. Enjoy the beautiful drive through the Uinta Mtns heading south to Vernal, but be careful on the steep hills and curves!!

I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have on the area!
Ok thanks, ya thats the life i've lived for last 15 years so i know all about getting on a lake and getting blown off from a storm that rolled in outta nowhere.
Done lots of ice fishing and i love it but just want to have some sunshine this winter so i'll just keep heading south till i find it.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #21

Looks like a beautiful spot

Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:15 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You will never be able to see the most beautiful part of this lake from a vehicle. For about 30 miles south of the Utah line, other than Sheep Creek Canyon, the only way to see it is from a boat. There are several boat-in campgrounds, and many places to just tie off, but no roads until you get down almost to the dam. This lake is simply one of my favorite places in the world...!!
Old 09-23-2015, 08:11 AM   #23

We have a blow-up sailing kayak we like to meander in. Don't go far but it is fun.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, cat