RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-19-2020, 03:55 PM   #29

Never worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
For those that boondock/dry camp. What temps would send you in to a powered campground? Has there been cases where you left a campgroung early to go boondocking?

I just have a TT and I put on a 3000 W gen set on it and modified the exhaust to be much quieter.

I also have some fans inside, 12 volt, that do a good job of moving air around when it's not humid.

I've never had a day or night that was not bearable but I also don't like RV-ing in humid states like Texas, my home state.

I don't like dry docking more than a weekend or one night at a time while traveling.

My 10 cents
DocHaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 04:41 PM   #30

You guys are spoiled! Iím a drag racer and like most racers, my DP is my tow vehicle as well as my accommodations at the racetrack. We are almost always Ďboondockingí as there are only a few tracks with a very limited number of spots that have hookups. There have been times when racing in the middle of the summer where I started my generator in my driveway prior to leaving for a trip and didnít turn it off until I was parked back in my driveway after returning 5-6 days later.
BD104X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
For those that boondock/dry camp. What temps would send you in to a powered campground? Has there been cases where you left a campgroung early to go boondocking?
I avoid commercial campgrounds. I do use Fairgrounds and Municipal CGs and National Forest/BLM CGs. The latter usually don’t have power.

I usually don’t go where/when full time AC is needed. That is the only thing that would force me to RV place with power.

My limiting factor is water. Have to fill up about once a week.

Georgetown 30x3 Class A.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD104X View Post
You guys are spoiled! I’m a drag racer and like most racers, my DP is my tow vehicle as well as my accommodations at the racetrack. We are almost always ‘boondocking’ as there are only a few tracks with a very limited number of spots that have hookups. There have been times when racing in the middle of the summer where I started my generator in my driveway prior to leaving for a trip and didn’t turn it off until I was parked back in my driveway after returning 5-6 days later.
I agree 1000%.

Generators have been in RVs for decades ... for a reason.

The sound of running generators by like-minded RV campers way out there on the Far Side of Beyond is music to my ears.

My RV has a big one and a small one, and they both are priceless at times.

(The only thing that would be superior to a generator in an RV for anytime, anywhere power is a fuel cell.)
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:27 PM   #33

I have boondocked at dog shows where the temp got down to -20F. The AquaHot kept us warm and ran the gennie to charge batteries to keep them warm and provide 12V to power fans to circulate heat. The dogs loved it. During the summer at 100F or more we have had to run gennie 24-7 to power the AC.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:55 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to Our05Winneba
In our 2005 Winnebago - the heatpump operates down to 36F (strictly electric on shore power or generator). So if we want to stay anywhere that is colder than that (Boondock or RV park) we have to rely on our propane furnace. In other words - there is no reason to go to an RV park just because of temperature.

However - what does cause us to move is the weather in general. Specifically - we have a lot of roof top solar - so if the forecast is for severe clouds or rain we know that we will get almost zero house battery charging. We also know that a rain forecast will not allow us to go hiking or biking, so sometimes we might just go to a plug-in RV park in order to sit out bad weather and charge up our batteries.

Conversely - a favorable weather forecast where we want to travel might just cause us to leave a park in order to enjoy that improved weather in a boondocking location.

But please be aware that our definition of boondocking is the same as dry camping. In other words - to us it means moving to any location without hookups. Such as staying at most Harvest Hosts, or on BLM land, or in most National Forests, or even in most National Forest CGs as many offer no hookups at all. Many National Park CGs also offer no hookups so we have instead set up our full time rig with a lot of solar and lithium batteries. We have large tanks as well as a large propane tank. We use all of this to enable us to stay pretty much wherever we want.

So sorry - it is not the temperature which forces our moves.
Our05Winneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:17 PM   #35

I boondock on long trips along the way. I run my generator if needed. I can't see paying for an overnight spot with a hookup.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:20 PM   #36

We start looking for ďshoreĒ power, if the day/night temp swing is (low 20ís @ night and days do not go above 40į) We have remote temp on wet bay, freshwater, indoor and outdoor temps with underbelly containment with heat run (must run RV furnace). So short answer is 20į.
MIBobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:21 AM   #37

Well New Mexico has been breaking temp records all week and itís not end till late in the weekend if I heard correctly. South part of the state at, in ,or near the 80ís today.lows in the 60ís iirc. Sorta wish I was setup for tenting right now. Take the dog try and find a federal campground thatís open an take the dog and have some fun. My rv needs batteries as it set too long because of my health over the past two year and the friend t thought was running ir regularly and since I thought he was doing it I didnít. I think Iím adding great batteries o each system the coach,cab, Polaris.super dude and add a battery minder or battery buddy to them the reason Iím holding off on the Jeep and the 5th wheeler arde the Jeep is still new an when the time is right Iíll be adding a genesis dual battery setup with isolation kit plus 2 new group 25 deep cycle batteries iirc and the 5er ;isnít off shore powe anymore the batteries candie as long as I can do th out them
Blackey Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:45 AM   #38

Every motorhome I've had has been setup for winter camping. I run the generator
one hour in the morning and 4 hours at night seems to keep the batteries up.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
I don't "love the heat" ... but given that the weather is rarely "perfect" for very long ... I much prefer outdoor temperaturs on the upper side of perfect over outdoor temperatures on the lower side of perfect.

Probably my preference is because of my memories of being raised in Michigan and having to sleep in an unheated upstairs bedroom in an uninsulated very old house with window frames so bad that winter snow could be on the inside of the window sills when I woke up in the mornings. All this was with standard blankets - not in a backpacking type sleeping bag.

We prefer to boondock in the great outdoors in decent weather temperatures - even if it means running battery powered fans and/or a generator to do it.
Lots of houses still that way here in Michigan. Difference is, some of us still like to sleep in cooler (if not snow-covered) accomodations.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD104X View Post
You guys are spoiled! Iím a drag racer and like most racers, my DP is my tow vehicle as well as my accommodations at the racetrack. We are almost always Ďboondockingí as there are only a few tracks with a very limited number of spots that have hookups. There have been times when racing in the middle of the summer where I started my generator in my driveway prior to leaving for a trip and didnít turn it off until I was parked back in my driveway after returning 5-6 days later.
Yes maybe. I just spent plenty of time working in 100-105 degree heat. Also crawling around attics installing air conditioning in attics that were well over 130 degrees. I didn't enjoy it then and I sure as heck won't plan to not enjoy something in my later years. Spoiled? Maybe....Or just figure I don't have to do that anymore!
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:10 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage465 View Post
Yes maybe. I just spent plenty of time working in 100-105 degree heat. Also crawling around attics installing air conditioning in attics that were well over 130 degrees. I didn't enjoy it then and I sure as heck won't plan to not enjoy something in my later years. Spoiled? Maybe....Or just figure I don't have to do that anymore!
I didnít mean spoiled for wanting comfort... I just laugh at some of the comments on here from people who make it sound like not having hookups means not using the AC and refer to using their generator like itís only some kind of temporary emergency backup plan.
BD104X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #42

There is really no low (or high) temperature I would leave at. Paying close attention to forecasts and being prepared is the main thing. In western Canada the high temperatures are never really an issue, except in the Okanogan. I have camped in weather below zero degree F and can stay as long as the propane, gas, and whiskey doesn't run out. Generally there are no campgrounds open when its that cold out anyway.
BoomtownDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondock, hose