Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2005, 07:52 AM   #1

Well, in a couple of weeks we are going to the mountains of Colorado for 10 days of boondocking. We are staying in the NF, but not a campground.

We never use our fresh water to drink, so I am planing on taking a small submersible pumb, then using the generator/pump to pump from the creek to the water tank in my camper. We will use this water to wash/shower/tolet only. We buy gallon jugs of water to drink and make coffee/tea with. Anyone see any problems with this idea??

Also, I ahve ordered a 2000w Magnum inverter/charger and am buying 4 t105 batteries. Will I be able to wire/hook all this stuff up myself with the instructions myself?? Anyone else have this setup??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2005, 07:52 AM   #2

Well, in a couple of weeks we are going to the mountains of Colorado for 10 days of boondocking. We are staying in the NF, but not a campground.

We never use our fresh water to drink, so I am planing on taking a small submersible pumb, then using the generator/pump to pump from the creek to the water tank in my camper. We will use this water to wash/shower/tolet only. We buy gallon jugs of water to drink and make coffee/tea with. Anyone see any problems with this idea??

Also, I ahve ordered a 2000w Magnum inverter/charger and am buying 4 t105 batteries. Will I be able to wire/hook all this stuff up myself with the instructions myself?? Anyone else have this setup??
Old 06-28-2005, 09:47 AM   #3

Be sure you're allowed to run a generator in the Forest. You'll probably need 100' of hose, but should work. I'd be a little concerned with what the sump pump might suck up from that creek.
As for the inverter/charger you should be able to do it yourself. But I'd tackle this project early, as it might mean going back & forth to stores to get all the goodies you need (cable connector ends, knife switch?, cable hold downs, battery post adapters?, remote switch & workbox, extra 12-3 wire, wire nuts, etcetera).
Old 06-28-2005, 06:14 PM   #4

Even though you do not plan to drink the water from the stream, I would strongly recommend adding an appropriate amount of bleach or clorine to the tank to kill the critters. Water in Colorado streams is not pure. It is very easy to get sick from bad water at almost any location or elevation. One of the nastier bugs is Geridea (sp), and can cause permanent intensinal damage. At high eleveations, water runoff from the snow fields can have bacteria from the red algie that is on top of the snow. After your trip, I would also suggest a good cleaning of the water system. You don't want any of those critters to grow in the system. Personally, I'd only use public treated water in the RV and refill with jerry cans if necessary.

Have fun, it's a great place to be.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:01 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Lenger:
Even though you do not plan to drink the water from the stream, I would strongly recommend adding an appropriate amount of bleach or clorine to the tank to kill the critters. Water in Colorado streams is not pure. It is very easy to get sick from bad water at almost any location or elevation. One of the nastier bugs is Geridea (sp), and can cause permanent intensinal damage. At high eleveations, water runoff from the snow fields can have bacteria from the red algie that is on top of the snow. After your trip, I would also suggest a good cleaning of the water system. You don't want any of those critters to grow in the system. Personally, I'd only use public treated water in the RV and refill with jerry cans if necessary.

Have fun, it's a great place to be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree 100%

Beaver Fever AKA Giardia
Giardiasis is an illness caused by Giardia lamblia, a one-celled, microscopic parasite that lives in the intestines of people and animals. The parasite is passed in the bowel movement of an infected person or animal. During the past 15 years, Giardia lamblia has become recognized as one of the most common causes of waterborne disease in humans in the United States. This parasite is found in every region of the United States and throughout the world.
Buff's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:04 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Dagwood 73:

I have the same inverter and battery setup that you are planning to get. I installed it myself and it works great. Let me know if you have any questions.

Don

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:18 PM   #7

I wouldn't put untreated water into my tank. One never knows when someone might forget (or a visitor might not know) that the tank is not potable. I'd run it through a filter (the one I use on tap water handles down to bacteria size) AND add clorine to the tank after filling it. Plus sanitize the heck out of it after I got back from the trip...
Old 07-29-2005, 01:15 PM   #8

Be cautious, and safe. Giardia Lambdia, chryptospiridium, and E-Cholli, are practically universal in any surface waters that can be reached by motor vehicle. All can cause serious, even fatal illness.
Multi-stage filtration and sterilization is required to make these waters safe for human body contact or food preparation.
Any water used for bathing, washing, showering, etc. inevitably leads to more or less ingestion of residues.
Be careful, and good luck.

Cisco and Pancho,
DickNJo is offline   Reply With Quote