Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #1

Generator options....

Hello all,
I have a Bullet 30' TT. I am thinking about getting a generator to do some boondocking at the race track. I have read good things about Champion inverter generators. I have narrowed it down between 2.....

Two 2000w paralelled units (w parallel kit). So, 4000 peak power and 3400 starting. Spec says 53db (for one) Cost is around $900.

One 3100 unit (has RV plug). 3100 peak power and 2800 starting. spec says 58db. Cost is around $675.

I have a 13,500 a/c. Obviously the 2000w units have more power. Also, separated they are lighter to move around. However, is that worth $225 more? Will the 3100 unit allow me to utilize all my systems (not starting at once!!) comfortably?

All opinions welcome!

Thanks,
-Rick
Cicch95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
3600 watts is 30 amps. You need to figure out what you want to run all at once and decide. If you want to reliably start an air con at higher elevations you should go with the two 2000W units.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #3

I have one Honda 2000 & a Yamaha 3000 in the bed of the truck. 2 small units are easier to handle and can be used separately. My Yamaha is 180# wet and it's all my DW and I can do to lift it over the fifth wheel if I have to take it out. It's partially covering the 5th wheel bracket so it has to come out first. I sometimes need to run it while hooked up so wanted the electric start. Having said all that I would do 2 small ones if I could do it over. YMMV
Old 04-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #4

Keep in mind that, I believe, the db rating of Champion generators is at idle or zero load when comparing to other generators. Honda and others use 1/4 and full load db numbers.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
I bought the champion 3500 with remote start. The unit is really quiet and can carry on a conversation while standing next to it. I run it on eco mode for everything until time to use a/c. The a/c will trip the unit on eco mode. Need to install a soft start then it will handle it in eco mode.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #6

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #7

Just remember, increase the number of db's by 7 (seven) and the noise level DOUBLES! So going from 53 to 58 db is a substantial increase in noise, almost double. Also, yes, check out at what power setting the db are measured, and at what distance from the generator. Some generator manufacturers measure at 40 feet, instead of 10', so numbers can be very misleading.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Just remember, increase the number of db's by 7 (seven) and the noise level DOUBLES! So going from 53 to 58 db is a substantial increase in noise, almost double. Also, yes, check out at what power setting the db are measured, and at what distance from the generator. Some generator manufacturers measure at 40 feet, instead of 10', so numbers can be very misleading.

Hmmmm....and the plot thickens.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
I know that it takes 10 trumpets to double the sound of one. Somehow I question your 7 DBS doubling the level.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #10

I am a contractor who has had much experience over the years with generators. If you can afford it, get a Honda. They last ten times longer and are five times quieter. Also get an inverter type if you can afford it. They only rev as high as it needs to generate the power being drawn. This translates into fuel savings, quieter operation, and extended life. Non inverter types run wide open as soon as you put any draw on the generator. Yamaha would be my second choice. You only get what you pay for. Cheaper units are louder, the electricity they produce is more varied and less regulated. The Honda will produce more consistent power which can be important for electronics ect.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
I know that it takes 10 trumpets to double the sound of one. Somehow I question your 7 DBS doubling the level.
Question away! Since you used a reference to musical sound, check out the following site:

Loudness volume doubling sound level change factor of perceived loudness decibel scale log compare intensities formula calculate power level noise levels volume logarithm dependence three four fold loudness sound - by what factor does level decrease

This is not about the subjective perceived loudness of hearing and not how to add sound sources. SPL is the abbreviation for "Sound Pressure Level". The term loudspeaker and amplification is not specifically raised with the previous survey. It's all about sound pressure the most important sound value.
There is only one correct answer: Twice the sound pressure is an SPL of +6 dB.

This site states that the Sound Pressure doubles every 6 (six) db.

According to OSHA, the level of noise doubles every 7 (seven) db.

We are not speaking of PERCEIVED noise level, and you need to remember that the decibel scale is logarithmic, NOT linear, so doubling the decibel level does a whole lot more than just doubling the noise level.

"Thus endeth the lesson"
Old 04-12-2017, 06:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I am a contractor who has had much experience over the years with generators. If you can afford it, get a Honda. They last ten times longer and are five times quieter. Also get an inverter type if you can afford it. They only rev as high as it needs to generate the power being drawn. This translates into fuel savings, quieter operation, and extended life. Non inverter types run wide open as soon as you put any draw on the generator. Yamaha would be my second choice. You only get what you pay for. Cheaper units are louder, the electricity they produce is more varied and less regulated. The Honda will produce more consistent power which can be important for electronics ect.

X 2!
Old 04-12-2017, 06:43 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Kurt Tucholsky wrote: "Our own dog does not make noise, it only barks."
The work of most acoustical consultants belongs to noise control.
We speak of the*volume*as loudness level in phon or loudness in sone. The perception of loudness is not proportional to the sound pressure or the sound intensity. Hearing does not have the same sensitivity for all pitches.
The defined sound level is therefore not the perceived loudness of
a sound. We get a rough approximation to human auditory perception by the use of an A-weighted filter, which approximates the sound signal in the different frequency areas according to the sensitivity of the hearing mechanism, but only at low levels. For louder signals than 40 dB, this A-weighted filter cuts off too many low frequencies incorrectly. The marketing department likes this!
Note:*The concept of doubling or halving a loudness, is quite vague. Who really knows exactly when a sound is half as loud?
This corresponds to the impossible exact rating when is a cup of coffee half as hot? Therefore, this theoretical assumption should not be taken too seriously.
This evaluation belongs to psychoacoustics.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
You do realize the champion's are inverter units, just like the Hondas right?
We've been running ours for nearly a year behind a progressive EMS.

Nice unit - clean power, no issues with a Champion inverter 2800 propane/gas. They aren't as quiet as a Honda EU2000, but they put out lot more power then a Honda EU2000 too.....
They are heavy, fully fueled - and thats my primary complaint - about 95lbs, which gets tough to lift sometimes.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator