Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2021, 12:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by senljk View Post
New to boondocking, but planning a trip out west this summer. Thinking about using some BLM's and some Walmarts, etc for overnight stays. I plan to let the generator run all night to power air conditioning units and my refrigerator (RV frig was replaced with samsung standard household 120v frig).

Any thoughts on this practice of leaving it run all night?
We have done this. That's an important use of RV generators in certain situations ... especially the expensive built-in ones.

Here's some general thoughts regarding use of an RV generator:

- For built-in generators, throw a rug on the ground under the generator compartment to absorb it's downward noise

- For built-in or stand-alone generators, keep all CO2 out of your coach interior by maintaining slight air pressure inside the coach whenever the generator is running.

- Running an RV generator is the ultimate "sound of independence" because it makes possible summer drycamping at low altitudes in the West (which we have done), summer drycamping anywhere in the Southern U.S. (which we have done), and drycamping anywhere anytime with no regard as to how much sun or bad weather is around you (which is how we plan).

Enjoy!!
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2021, 07:28 AM   #16

I wouldn’t run a generator overnight unless I was at least 100 yds away from the nearest camper. Running a generator overnight and enjoying the great outdoors are fundamentally incompatible.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:10 PM   #17

Quote:
At Walmart it is bad form to pull out your portable gen, chairs, grill etc. Just park, sleep, shop in the morning and then hit the road.
^^^What he said. The same is true of Cracker Barrel & other businesses that allow overnight parking (not the same as “free camping”). Just follow the golden rule when you’re on the road, parked or camping and everyone can enjoy the great outdoors.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #18

If you need to run a generator all night, check into a park and plug in.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:36 AM   #19

Thanks for all the feedback on this. I will weigh my options.
senljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
For us, the whole point of boondocking is silence and darkness and privacy. Boondocking usually means that we have to put up with a longer drive each day to trailheads, as compared with campgrounds (which are more conveniently located but not as quiet).

I think that a lot of boondockers are in agreement with our priorities.

Having said that, it is a free country -- if you want to run your generator all night, no one has the right to tell you not to do so. You will suffer no ill effects from our silent unhappiness, and you will never know what we are thinking.

We have had to move our campsite a few times over the last 16 years of camping, in order to escape generator noise.

If there is any way you can afford a Honda, please consider that option. Although it is "only ten decibels quieter" than a cheap generator, that is (I think) twice as quiet.

There is one good excuse for overnight generator use -- a CPAP. Folks with sleep apnea have to have electricity. And campgrounds ban generator use after 10 pm, so CPAPers often have to boondock.

Finally, if you are camping in 100 degree heat, everyone around you will be running generators, so no harm done!!
CPAP can usually run on batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Running a generator overnight and enjoying the great outdoors are fundamentally incompatible.

David
In your opinion, we camp and explore off road, believe it or not, we, as well as others enjoy boondocking with the generator running.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdan View Post
For us, the whole point of boondocking is silence and darkness and privacy. Boondocking usually means that we have to put up with a longer drive each day to trailheads, as compared with campgrounds (which are more conveniently located but not as quiet).

I think that a lot of boondockers are in agreement with our priorities.

Having said that, it is a free country -- if you want to run your generator all night, no one has the right to tell you not to do so. You will suffer no ill effects from our silent unhappiness, and you will never know what we are thinking.

We have had to move our campsite a few times over the last 16 years of camping, in order to escape generator noise.

If there is any way you can afford a Honda, please consider that option. Although it is "only ten decibels quieter" than a cheap generator, that is (I think) twice as quiet.

There is one good excuse for overnight generator use -- a CPAP. Folks with sleep apnea have to have electricity. And campgrounds ban generator use after 10 pm, so CPAPers often have to boondock.

Finally, if you are camping in 100 degree heat, everyone around you will be running generators, so no harm done!!
Most CPAP's run of 12v or 24v. There are 12v adapters and 24v inverters made specifically for each type of CPAP machine. I run my CPAP off my 12v all the time with the humidifier. And I share the same thoughts of not running generators all the time..........or in my case, not running a generator at all.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:56 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
That’s what I try to do, but sometimes the parks are full or very far out of the way, so I run the gen at night occasionally. Make sure all your windows are closed so no fumes can get inside.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:03 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post

I agree! I was going to make the same comment. When factoring in cost of fuel plus disturbing sound of Gen, just find a low cost RV park with electrical hookup.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
That’s what I try to do, but sometimes the parks are full or very far out of the way, so I run the gen at night occasionally. Make sure all your windows are closed so no fumes can get inside.
I agree with the above.

We in general, A) don't care for many RV parks along our routes and B), always want the flexibility to drycamp whenever and anywhere we want, in just about any weather with or without the sun.

Whenever we run the generator on long runs, we pressurize the coach interior so no outside generator fumes can enter anywhere. Pressurization is easy to do, as most/many RV's come already set up to do this and the owners don't realize it.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #25

Generator Use

As a former fulltimer, 15 years, now just 6-8 months each year, it is my opinion that running generators except during normal waking hours is rude. Everyone seems to have what they consider a good reason. Does not make it quiet for folks wishing to sleep.
danbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Trek View Post
Four year full timer here. Many people boondock to get away from the noise and lights pollution that is present everywhere other than the few spots that can be found out in the wild. I would suggest being mindful of neighbors and try to position yourself and generator away from others as far as possible. Note that gen sounds do travel quite far so adding a baffle may helpful ensure you are a good neighbor
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by senljk View Post
New to boondocking, but planning a trip out west this summer. Thinking about using some BLM's and some Walmarts, etc for overnight stays. I plan to let the generator run all night to power air conditioning units and my refrigerator (RV frig was replaced with samsung standard household 120v frig).

Any thoughts on this practice of leaving it run all night?

Out in the middle of Nevada on BLM land......no problem.

In Walmart or CB parking lot..........RUDE !

(but rude people never understand it when they are being rude)
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:56 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I'm boondocking it is to get away from urban noise and pollution. Running generators for long periods definitely shortens their life which isn't that long for gas generators and secondly it annoys your neighbors with noise and fumes. If you cant live without power go to an RV park with power. If you can afford the rig you can afford the camping so be considerate of others.
ArtDeCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator