Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2021, 07:15 PM   #57

If your generator makes that much noise it needs help! You can hold a conversation without raising your voice standing next to the exhaust of my QD7500. It is inaudible in the bedroom. A lot of people just want to complain about something.
Savage1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2021, 07:38 PM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier14 View Post
Providing that you have at least one carbon monoxide detector working inside you RV, let it run. You have paid for the convenience of air that can be run off a generator, use what you have all you want.
The above quote is the most important post on the entire blog.
Make sure you CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR is working and don’t rely on just one. Get one mounted as close as possible to the generator, right above it if you can.

An exhaust leak could doesn’t always make it louder, but it can make you dead.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:35 PM   #59

Spartan Chassis
In theory there is a noise rule on BLM land but it is so vaguely written that it's unenforceable. However they generally follow the NPS guideline of nothing over 60db at 50 ft away no matter when you run it. One unwritten rule about boondocking and generators is being courteous and not camping to close to another camper.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:41 PM   #60

Running the Generator All Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by senljk View Post
New to boondocking, but planning a trip out west this summer. Thinking about using some BLM's and some Walmarts, etc for overnight stays. I plan to let the generator run all night to power air conditioning units and my refrigerator (RV frig was replaced with samsung standard household 120v frig).

Any thoughts on this practice of leaving it run all night?
Yeah, we camp on BLM land in Southern California several nights a year. Everyone around runs their generators when it is hot or else it would be impossible to camp. It's best to have the back of the rig not pointed at another rig, and run a portable generator there. Sometimes people park too close and then complain about exhaust, but normally not.

We frequent the Octotillo Wells area, which is a combination of State SVRA (State Vehicle Recreation Area) and BLM. Near Borrego Springs, CA (I guess south of town and North of I-8). There is a visitor center where they have maps and land use guidelines. You can literally just drive off the road and camp. If you have off-road toys, this is the place for you!

Dump and fresh water at campgrounds nearby (especially Ironwoods) and camp stores. There's stores and restaurants in Borrego Springs and nearby town of Salton. Fast food also in Salton. People tend to be friendly but on big weekends there can be a lot of loud music and partying into the wee hours.
Jstdadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:19 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
This thread is cracking me up. There are strong opinions with no accounting for actual scenario. Not all generator noise levels are the same. Not all situations are the same.

Boondocking means lots of things to different people. If I am boondocking and close enough to other people that my generator will bug them. I have not found a very good spot. What if I am boondocking in an area with common and frequent generator use? Am I sill rude if I use mine?

How about boondocking at recreational areas where motorcycles and ATV's party it up all night? Is my generator still rude?

One of the few times we do camp with others is a holiday weekend every year. We have several RV's around parked 50-60' away from each other. I park so my exhaust is facing away from the center of the group. When running and inside another unit you may hear a faint hum.

Running in a store parking lot being rude is the funniest one so far. Can I fire up my APU or idle my truck engine all night like the commercial drivers do? That does not seem to be rude, however both are way louder than my built in Onan. What if the store is near a freeway or other loud area? Does that change anything? How about if I am parked in a far corner of the lot and my exhaust faces a direction that noise does not matter?

I have lots of solar and I think I have only run my generator overnight 1 time. If I have a need to do so I will. I will try to be mindful and respectful of others.

Back at the OP, if you are sill around, just look at the situation and make a choice. Is running your generator likely to have a huge impact on others then use an alliterative if possible.
Great points - and nicely stated above!!

I guess some part-time RV'ers that hate generators must live in stick houses in noisey neighborhoods such that when out RV'ing they want some noise relief. Our stick-house is out in nature with only birds singing around us, so some noise from generators when on RV trips does not freak us out.

What DOES IRRITATE me on RV trips is folks sitting around a fire with their late night too-loud talking, too-loud laughing, and wood fire smoke constantly drifting into our campsite (we use a propane firepit) -> which to us is far more annoying than the steady hum of a built-in generator. However, an open frame el-cheapo contractor type generator (or Honda portable inverter generator running full bore under heavy load well above 3600 RPM) does indeed have no place around campers - anywhere.

Actually we prefer boondocking so that we can use our built-in generator freely without getting dirty looks from others. Solar is nice if one wants to be married to sunlight, but we prefer the shade ... and the convenient independence of a properly noise-abated built-in gnerator that permits us to camp in any weather at any altitude.

The only thing better than a decent quiet generator is a big battery bank kept automatically charged up 24/7 with this: https://www.my-efoy.com/en/efoy-hybrid-power/
Phil G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:14 PM   #62

One thought is to install one of those exhaust extensions that run up to the roof line (obviously taken down for travel). The fumes can annoy neighbors, but also find their way into your coach. Yes you have CO detectors, but this way you won't be getting up at night to silence them LOL.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:22 PM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Invest In Solar Power...

I run my A/C for 2-3 hours during the worst time of the day, and I have a 24v refrigerator... works great.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:47 PM   #64

Generator can serve to provide white noise when there is a lot of noise outside.

Working gas and CO detectors are paramount for the rig. Be a great idea to have one of those 10 yr fire and co monitors and replace every 5! 10 bucks a year is a cheap price to avoid issues.

Some places do ban generator use after 9 pm so there is that to deal with.

Solar with a good lifepo bank would be great if planning to boon dock in hot environments. Put a soft start on the AC as well and use it judiciously in the night to get you through the quiet hours.

Sorta kinda wish the RV industry would incorporate inverter technology split cool AC systems into the rig but hey we love what ever they dish out so its all great eh. Many roof AC units are pretty darn noisy compared to split cool or even a basement mounted generator inside the rig.

Some dps end up with a hot house under the master bed if not well insulated, but in the winter it sure do feel nice to have all that heat radiate into the BR! (SOME DP's).

Camp as if you are next to your own rig! do not discharge gray or black water in the woods its not nice, against the law and dangerous too.

Leave no trace as much as possible! Just make memories and take em with you to keep forever. Enjoy
Old 05-03-2021, 12:17 AM   #65

I find it astounding that so many people here actually JUSTIFY being RUDE.

Can't understand it.
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:26 AM   #66

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
What do you mean by most places?

I have yet to boondock or overnight in a place that has any noise rules. Really most have very few rules other then your basic "pack it in pack it out" type stuff.

Do you mean most campgrounds? Like state parks?
State parks and Coe
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:29 AM   #67

Forest River Owners Club
I agree
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:52 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Blue78 View Post
To annoy people?
Then don’t buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
I agree
With what? There are many opinions here.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:01 AM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
I don’t know why anyone would go to a residential fridge if they plan to boondock. Unless you are way south, it usually cools off enough you don’t need AC all night, either. I set the thermostat on the Fantastic Fan to shut off when it cools off. Then you don’t need run the gen all night.
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:10 AM   #70

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by senljk View Post
New to boondocking, but planning a trip out west this summer. Thinking about using some BLM's and some Walmarts, etc for overnight stays. I plan to let the generator run all night to power air conditioning units and my refrigerator (RV frig was replaced with samsung standard household 120v frig).

Any thoughts on this practice of leaving it run all night?
If your in a Class A, I recommend a Gen-Turi exhaust pipe for saftey and be sure to have Carbon Monoxide detectors installed in your unit. Camco Gen-Turi RV Generator Exhaust Venting System - Reduce Generator Fumes and Noise | Easy To Install and Disconnect - (44461) on Amazon.
BlueDog2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator