Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #29

Gulf Streamers Club
These are much smaller than needed to power an A/C, but would work for a CPAP and TV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #30

There are other things to consider other than sound level, is it CARB approved, does it have a USFS APPROVED muffler for example. Plus quiet hours, love those quiet hours.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #31

OH my!!! This looks like a solution looking for a problem.

There's not battery bank and inverter/converter on board? You need a 'simple' solution here not a dog house....

That CPAP unit should run all day with the on board battery and a converter/inverter ..... Or, just on 12V. ??? Your trailer doesn't have an inverter/converter/charger??? No 12V wall plugs????

The alternative is to use a high wattage 'jump pack' battery with a 110V inverter set up and/or 12V cigarette plugs. That should carry all night. Plug it in to charge it up when not in use. EasyPeasy!

As to running generators to make coffee. Can't say I've not done that.... but it's less annoying to neighbors to use the inverter/converter.... SILENT.... all you hear is the perky goodness being made.....
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #32

These are as quiet as any Honda in the same class
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440617902.233329.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	104773
Plus you can parallel them to double your running wattage to 3200 ( Canada) 3400 (USA).
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #33
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorfx View Post
These are as quiet as any Honda in the same class

Nope, that myth has been busted already. The deception is that Champion publishes the Db rating with the generator under "no load" ! And Honda publishes the Db rating with the generator producing the full rated load.

The other deception sometimes used is to increase the distance from the generator at which the Db rating is measured.

😃
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
OH my!!! This looks like a solution looking for a problem.

There's not battery bank and inverter/converter on board? You need a 'simple' solution here not a dog house....

That CPAP unit should run all day with the on board battery and a converter/inverter ..... Or, just on 12V. ??? Your trailer doesn't have an inverter/converter/charger??? No 12V wall plugs????

The alternative is to use a high wattage 'jump pack' battery with a 110V inverter set up and/or 12V cigarette plugs. That should carry all night. Plug it in to charge it up when not in use. EasyPeasy!

As to running generators to make coffee. Can't say I've not done that.... but it's less annoying to neighbors to use the inverter/converter.... SILENT.... all you hear is the perky goodness being made.....

Nope, it's not wattage that counts it's AMPs. This is a typical batter used in a jump starter:

<<12v 12ah TR12-12A SLA Battery with Nut & Bolt Terminals $36.00
********** IN STOCK **********
TR12-12A Tempest AGM, Valve Regulated, Maintenance Free, Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Battery - 12V 12Ah (20 hour rate)

You may also use the battery listed below for the same application.
TD12-12A for Deep Cycle applications & longer cycle life
12 volt, 12 Ah for Generators, Jump Starters, and General Purposes.

TR12-12 Dimensions:
Length 5.94", Width 3.90", Height 3.74" (Total Height 4.18"), T25 terminals .250", Approx Weight 8 lbs.

Can't find the right battery? Click Here (or click 4v 6v 8v 12v 24v)
For Battery Cable Assemblies Click Here
For Battery Cycle Life Chart Click Here
For Terminal Information Click Here
For MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Click Here

Service Life Under Float Service @77°F. 4 to 6 Year. 2 Year Warranty under Float Service.
NonFloat Service / 1 Year Warranty.

Important Battery Charging Information (Click Here)>>

12 amps, that all.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Nope, it's not wattage that counts it's AMPs. This is a typical batter used in a jump starter:

<<12v 12ah TR12-12A SLA Battery with Nut & Bolt Terminals $36.00
********** IN STOCK **********
TR12-12A Tempest AGM, Valve Regulated, Maintenance Free, Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Battery - 12V 12Ah (20 hour rate)

You may also use the battery listed below for the same application.
TD12-12A for Deep Cycle applications & longer cycle life
12 volt, 12 Ah for Generators, Jump Starters, and General Purposes.

TR12-12 Dimensions:
Length 5.94", Width 3.90", Height 3.74" (Total Height 4.18"), T25 terminals .250", Approx Weight 8 lbs.

Can't find the right battery? Click Here (or click 4v 6v 8v 12v 24v)
For Battery Cable Assemblies Click Here
For Battery Cycle Life Chart Click Here
For Terminal Information Click Here
For MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) Click Here

Service Life Under Float Service @77°F. 4 to 6 Year. 2 Year Warranty under Float Service.
NonFloat Service / 1 Year Warranty.

Important Battery Charging Information (Click Here)>>

12 amps, that all.
That's right... almost always 12V/12A from the battery. I've replaced them several times in my portable power sources.

The porta-power/jump starters generally advertise their starting amps and power output from the built in inverter. Here's an example...... in watts, 400 on the 110V inverter.

Wagan Power Dome EX 400-Watt Jump Starter Review

That should be adequate to run a CPAP for awhile. If not .... get two.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #36
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
12 amps, that all.

Which is still a larger capacity battery than the ones sold for the express purpose of powering a CPAP device.

Reference my post from above....
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2714604

That battery sold to power a CPAP from between 5 and 20 hours (based upon the air pressure the machine has to provide- higher pressure obviously means shorter runtime) is rated as 100 Wh. (Watt hours) The jump starter is a 12volts x 12 amps = 144 Wh battery.

The jump starter I recommended has a 18 Ah battery...... This can easily run a CPAP without heated humidification (using the 12v adapter).
Old 08-26-2015, 05:10 PM   #37

Inside just a battery, converter and a circuit board.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #38
Community Moderator

Here is the final proof that the 18Ah portable jump starter is a good choice to run the CPAP machine overnight.

Directly from ResMed the top maker of CPAP machines.....and I have the S9 Autoset myself.

http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documen...de_glo_eng.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1440631394.061082.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	104786
Old 08-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #39

Gulf Streamers Club
Some folks seem to have missed the OP's clarification in Post #25, of why they want a generator. All this blustering about batteries to run a CPAP machine are moot in this thread.

"I wasn't clear about the uses of the generator. I also need it to run my 13,500 AC unit and other items such as a TV, computers, etc."

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #40
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Some folks seem to have missed the OP's clarification in Post #25, of why they want a generator. All this blustering about batteries to run a CPAP machine are moot in this thread.

"I wasn't clear about the uses of the generator. I also need it to run my 13,500 AC unit and other items such as a TV, computers, etc."

Yes, I know. But for other people reading the entire thread, I wanted to be sure they got the correct information - That a portable "jump starter" type battery CAN run their CPAP machine just fine ! Naysayers would have people doubting it would work, when it works just fine !
Old 08-26-2015, 08:54 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Nope, that myth has been busted already. The deception is that Champion publishes the Db rating with the generator under "no load" ! And Honda publishes the Db rating with the generator producing the full rated load.

The other deception sometimes used is to increase the distance from the generator at which the Db rating is measured.

[emoji2]

Never was much for published numbers. Standing right beside my buddies 2000 Honda and standing right beside the champion there is no perceptible difference to my human ear the DW and Buddy actually think the champion is quieter when we ran them at the same time side by side.
Now the Honda is 4-5 years old and the champion has 10 hours on it. Bottom line is I can buy three of these for one Honda. $499 on sale here in Calgary so I am very pleased with them. My neighbors in the campground didn't even know I had a generator lol
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Here is the final proof that the 18Ah portable jump starter is a good choice to run the CPAP machine overnight.

Directly from ResMed the top maker of CPAP machines.....and I have the S9 Autoset myself.

http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documen...de_glo_eng.pdf

Attachment 104786

It depends upon the current draw of a particular device and its settings. One would expect a portable device to use a pretty small battery. Portable starters have a 10 to 20 amp battery. That's it. Check your device and see what it requires.

Tags
generator