Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #43

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorfx View Post
the DW and Buddy actually think the champion is quieter when we ran them at the same time side by side.
How did you ensure the two different sets of gennies were operating under the exact same amount of work load?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #44

First at idle in econo mode. Then I have two little 800w ceramic heaters , so we plugged one into each genny.
Champion has come a long way and Honda has been sitting on their laurels for a while.
Honda atv's are 20 years behind in suspension and power. Friends we have with a cabin have gone through three Honda gens. A 1000 a 2000 and now their 3000 is in the shop. I am trying to stay open minded and if they don't last I'll get a .......Yamaha lol
doorfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #45

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Interesting experiment. I'll try it with my two hondas just for the heck of it!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #46

Well, I just went and pulled the trigger on a CHAMPION 75531i 3100 WATT INVERTER. Hope it will do everything I want it to do. If for some reason I do have a neighbor close that complains, I'll just move further out in the "boondocks". LOL
Old 09-22-2015, 09:08 AM   #47

Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like a good choice. $800 58 Dba,(Amazon) while a Honda EU3000iS is 58 Dba but costs $2000. The 58 Dba is not oppressive, but a sound box would probably help a lot. Human perception is quite subjective and has a lot to do with frequency and other hard to measure qualities. While 58 Dba can be compared to a busy office, a dishwasher in the next room, or conversation, some of those can be tolerated while other comparisons are considered 'loud'. Just make sure any enclosure actually blocks sound but is ventilated for cooling, most employ a 120 v fan to cool.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #48

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's not the sound pressure that matters when the marketing numbers are the same, it is how the test was performed. If the test was performed in exactly the same manner, than that is good info. I have doubts the test was performed exactly the same way.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #49

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
It's not the sound pressure that matters when the marketing numbers are the same, it is how the test was performed. If the test was performed in exactly the same manner, than that is good info. I have doubts the test was performed exactly the same way.
I agree, some of the measures could have made from different distances and most likely at less than full load. As I said, the perception of the sound also plays a large part. A droning generator is certainly less tolerant than a group of friends conversing. A sound box would still be a good idea.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #50

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One of the reasons I bought Honda is in part due to the sound coming from the units, not just the volume. It is soft and seems fairly steady with greatly reduced sharp noise and an almost soothing low purr.

I know what the Hondas sound like at full roar. I can easily tolerate it. I know some won't, but most of that is, I believe, simply a matter of personal choice/intolerance.

I make sure they are off well before 10pm if there are neighbors. Even I don't want to sleep with them on.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:22 PM   #51
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post

X2 ! Exactly. The Honda is tested at full rated load. The champion publishes their numbers with the generator running AT NO LOAD. Very deceptive advertising.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #52

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
X2 ! Exactly. The Honda is tested at full rated load. The champion publishes their numbers with the generator running AT NO LOAD. Very deceptive advertising.
Not EXACTLY true, According to Honda, their Dba ratings are at 1/4 load, also fuel consumption is stated at 1/4 load.

Honda EU2000i Model Info | Super Quiet 2000 Watt Inverter Generator | Honda Generators

Champion doesn't state load, but reports Dba at 23' distance. Fuel consumption is stated at 1/4 load.

http://www.championpowerequipment.co...#product-specs

Bob & Donna
Old 09-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #53

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So without knowing how the test of the Champion is being done, they can't be compared properly.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #54

Honda eu2000 = 53 dba at 1/4 load, 59 dba at rated ( 1600 watt ) load.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:47 PM   #55

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd be swayed by the Champion for $800 and a Honda for $2000. You could buy 2 1/2 Champions for one Honda. Even if you wear out a Champion, you're still ahead by $1200 and could buy another one. If they were closer in price, I'd go for the Honda because of it's reputation and my experience with their equipment, but at this price difference I'd take a chance on the Champion.

Bob & Donna
Old 09-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #56

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have heard rumors that some folks were injured when they picked up a Honda or Yahama 1,000 watt Inverter not knowing it was running (Burned on the exhaust) I can hear a 2,000 over crowd noise (full idle) at Quartsite.. My friend standing beside me could not (on the 1,000 I could not hear it over the crowd but felt the blow of hot exhaust on my leg. I was THAT CLOSE.

However for a CPAP.. Why not upgrade your batteries to a pair of GC-2 (or a 2nd pair) and plug in an inverter.. That way you have SILENT 120vac for the thing.

or as others have suggested... get a 12 volt model.

NOTE: if you do go the inverter route.. Please go TRUE SINE

I'd rather park next to a honda 1,000 than an MSW inverter.

Tags
generator