Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #1

Genny

Looking to get a Genny. I know everyone is going to say Honda. But for more than half the price I can get a portable 6500 electric start and that would be good for my wife when I'm out fishing or gathering other goodies. I wouldn't mind a quiet one but not a deal breaker. We just boondocked and we used an old Coleman 2500watt deal and it worked great to power our plug ins. We used ply wood to direct the noise. How about a generac or a ridged. Any insight would be great.
05Adirondack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You might consider the Powerhouse 2700W, quiet inverter generator with electric start. I have a Honda which I really like, but wish it had electric start.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #3

The way I can sell this to my wife is that if we have a power outage at home we can power the house.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #4

Generator now, save up for a solar system for later.

If you want cheap, the Eastern Tools and Equipment IN3500I for $700 will get the job done and is relatively. Not quite big enough for a 30 amp outlet though. I had a cheap Chinese 2000 watt generator that I ran 7200 hours one summer and it was still running strong when I sold it for what I paid for it.

There are a variety of Chinese Pure Sine Wave Inverter 3000W generators that are cheap, work well and are SPL rated at 58 dB @ 23 feet @ full load. If you are agreeable with the source.

The sound insulated box is a worthy idea. I had one for the aforementioned 2000W generator that was four separate panels of 1/4" plywood with double layers of Low-E inside. Dropped the SPL from 62 dB @ 23 feet @ full load to 58 dB.
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #5

Has anyone used the Generac 2000watt genny? It's the inverter style. Shaped like the eu2000i.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:19 AM   #6

we use a Honda eu2000i. at under a grand is worth every penny. will run a microwave and purrs like a kitten. awesome hours on very little fuel. light enough to carry around without breaking your back.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #7

Overland Owners Club
Jackfish, just how long was that summer you ran your gen for 7200 hours? ;-)
I bought a pair of the Yamaha 2kw inverters, very quiet, nice to have the flexibility to run one for minor loads or both with sidewinder cable and get 30 amps... But find myself saying, gee that's a lot of work to go crank both generators... Usually just press the button in the coach and let the onan QD burn some fuel...
Justplanejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #8

If you are going to use one of the “Contractor Grade” generators please park at least 100 yards away from me! And if you use sound boards please don’t direct the sound my way!
The reason that the Honda, Yamaha etc generators are expensive is that “SOUND” is expensive to attenuate. Just because folks boondock doesn’t mean that they appreciate a noisy generator under their L/R window.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcoxid View Post
The reason that the Honda, Yamaha etc generators are expensive is that “SOUND” is expensive to attenuate.
The reason they cost more is the inverter technology. The reason H and Y cost over twice as much as the Champion is unexplainable.

Honda Handy 3000i $2300

Champion 3100i $950

-Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #10

I looked at the Generac but decided against it due to the specified noise level and weight. I ended up with a Champion 2000 watt inverter generator which you can double up (similar to the Hondas) to get more power. You can also use sensitive equipment like computers with it. My Champion is just as quiet as the Hondas but not built as well, IMHO. The only problem I have had with it is that it doesn't want to run very will at higher elevations. Good luck with your purchase. Also, be advised that if you do get one of the contractor type noisy generators you will not be a very popular person in most campgrounds. There are some National Parks that I don't even feel comfortable running my quiet Champion.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #11

That long summer was 1958 "The Long Hot Summer" with Paul Newman and Joan Woodward. A really hot summer could seem really long.

I have heard about sound insulating boxes but never built one for our old Champion 4000 ( cheap and loud but not to bad but adjustments were necessary fairly often or voltage was way off) and the newer ones are far better I've read. Got curious and just googled this and there are instructions on building a sound insulating box at

How to Soundproof a Noisy Generator | eHow

This is a triple box and might be fine for home use but a bit much for an RV setup

Had an Onan propane 2.5 kW on previous 5th wheel. Older son is alternative energy designer/contractor and he installed it. He contacted the primary Onan dealer in NM to determine which size to purchase and was asked by Onan "what are your power requirements? One or two a/c?" Upon being told only one a/c, Cary was told, "then just get the 2.5 kW and use power management, don't run MW and a/c simultaneously, costs less, weighs a lot less and uses less propane when just charging batteries." This is a dealer to trust. They noted that the larger ones would be required for 2 a/c units but the 5.6 kW weighed 2.5 times as much.

As noted in other posts, we have gone autonomous solar with a 1 kW Honda as emergency backup for: long storms, heavy snows and camping with to much shade.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
7200 hrs - divided 24 hrs = 300 twenty four hour days! WOW! nearly 10 months!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote