Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #1

Genset Requirements

I think I know the answer but I'm looking for confirmation. I have a Honda 3000i Handi genset that handled one 13,500 AC and a couple of other devices at the same time in a 30a service FW.

Now have 50a service in the new FW and want to run one 15,000 AC, and a Samsung residential fridge. The 3000i won't carry the load even though the AC will start. I'm thinking of getting two Honda 2000s and running them in parallel. The fridge should be okay overnight on the batteries when the gensets are off.

Anyone else doing that or have an opinion to share? Thank you.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The two Hondas might do the work. I would test the fridge by putting some gallon or half gallon jugs of water in it, getting the fridge down to the temp you want, then turn it off for twelve hours to see how warm it gets.

The two Hondas provide 3600 watts of constant power, so if exactly thirty amps max of power will run the things you want to run, than go for it.

What I prefer about the two gennies being able to run together is that if I just need one, then I only run one. Saves wear and tear, maintenance, and fuel. Quieter, too.

Since you have a fifth wheel, don't overlook a 4K watt or larger inverter gennie in the bed of the pickup. Is this the best solution? Can't be sure until you look into it.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
The two Hondas might do the work. I would test the fridge by putting some gallon or half gallon jugs of water in it, getting the fridge down to the temp you want, then turn it off for twelve hours to see how warm it gets.

The two Hondas provide 3600 watts of constant power, so if exactly thirty amps max of power will run the things you want to run, than go for it.

What I prefer about the two gennies being able to run together is that if I just need one, then I only run one. Saves wear and tear, maintenance, and fuel. Quieter, too.

Since you have a fifth wheel, don't overlook a 4K watt or larger inverter gennie in the bed of the pickup. Is this the best solution? Can't be sure until you look into it.
Honda eu2000i generators are 1600 watt units. Thus surge up to 1800 or 2000 but are not designed to run there.

Mine is stamped, right on it, 13.3 amps max.

Even the eu3000i is a 2800 watt generator.

Be sure to check the specs of the unit you are thinking of buying.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:23 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check to see if your battery charger is set for full or reduced power input. When using portable generator I usually need to set my battery charger to 5a or 10a setting, else I'll occasionally drop the breaker on the portable Genny.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote