RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2020, 06:43 PM   #1

Got 1st TT today with solar. Has monitor, do I need Victron?

It has been suggested to me here and I was pretty set on buying the victron battery management device.

Our first travel trailer was delivered to the house today and it has some information on the solar system monitor. 12.9 v, a display showing its charging, 5 Ah (not sure, guess the charging rate), and 0.4 A, the draw at the time I'm assuming. Says 10 A charge, so maybe the cloud and rain explained the 5 Ah today.

Anyway, curious if I would benefit from a victron battery monitor system, or if the display that came with our system will be adequate. I have two deep cycle interstate batteries up front, a single 150 watt solar panel on the roof, and a 1000 watt inverter.

Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trimetric

For a system like this I would go with the Trimetric monitor. Ive used them in the past and been very satisfied. You’ll need a shunt and cable too - about $200 for everything and perfectly sufficient.

I have all Victron components, but I have a more complex system. For yours, the Trimetric is perfect and a less $$. Talk to Randy at Best Converter and he’ll take good care of you.

Trimetric 2030RV Battery System Monitor

For Victron stuff I use Inverter Supply - also very good customer service

https://www.invertersupply.com/index...gory%5B%5D=573

Old 03-04-2020, 10:45 PM   #3

X2 on the Trimetric! The Trimetric is accurate, easy to use, provide a bundle of information and made USA by Bogart Engineering. Also, if you choose to use Bogart's charge controller, the two communicate with each other, allowing to fine tune the charge controller for optimal charging. I have been using Bogart's Trimetric and two SC2030 charge controllers, for 4 years, and the system has been flawless and performs really well.
'95 Safari Serengeti 38', 300hp 6CTA8.3L Cummins, 6spd. Allison, Pac brake, Magnum chassis, Valvet Ride (torsilastic susp.), VW Jetta TDI toad, Big tripple bay window (from floor to ceiling cabinets)!!!
beach house is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, solar