RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:23 AM   #1

Gray/Black Water Question

Very new to boondocking and trying to figure all this out. Looking at a Lance 992 truck camper that has 45 Gal fresh water, 40 Gal gray and 30 Gal black.

For those of you who boondock how long can a single person boondock before the gray and black water tanks would need to be emptied?

Retired Navy so I know all about Navy showers.

Thanks
Dennis

Dennis58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Showers use The most water. I bet you can easily go a week, two if you work at it. Use paper plates, make simple meals that use one pan, pre-wipe pans with a paper towel, use a dish pan and toss dish water out on some nearby plants, use wet wipes and shower every third day, bring a jug of drinking water, etc. There are lots of ways to conserve water.

Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:58 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bring five, 5 gallon jugs of fresh water and you can go three weeks or more.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #4

Thanks, so it really comes down to the black water tank I guess but 2-3 weeks is about all I would be doing at one time.
Dennis58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Logic says toilet goes into black tank and sinks/showers into gray tank. Probably right, but better check first. Sometimes a sink goes into black tank.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #6

Our grey water filled before black water. We even used the dishpan water to flush the toilet to save space even though we took 'Navy' showers and conserved greatly.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #7

Another thing that will help that we did a few months ago is to replace the screw-in tips of the kitchen sink faucet and bathroom sink faucet with ones that restrict the water flow rate.

I put 0.5 GPM (Gallons Per Minute) tips on both of these faucets. The reduced flow rate is hardly noticeable and doesn't affect their use at all.

These screw-on restrictor tips easily replace the stock faucet tips and cost only $5-$6 each - ordered over the Internet.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #8

We have a 2014 Lance 992. With a 45 gal freshwater tank and 6 gals in the water heater we easily go 3 nights with with the two of us getting 2 showers each per day. That’s 12 showers. We have gone 4 nights before while being a little more cognizant of our use. If you were in an area where you could dump your gray water and you took some extra water with you I could see one person going about 3 weeks. If we wanted to stay longer we would just get an evening shower each. We have never come close to filling the black tank. That’s not even a concern.
Rocknita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #9

I boondock 95% of the time and like you I live by myself. I would say that once you learn how to conserve water, as per some of the above suggestions, you should be able to stay out two or three weeks with no problem. Showers are your biggest water user, and I think second is rinsing dishes. So use paper plates and plastic utensils, or do what I do and use regular dinnerware but wipe it off instead of wash it off, after all nobody else is using but you. My mom had cast iron pots and skillets that had never been washed their entire life they were always wiped out. There's also a shower technique that's one step below the Navy shower. I call it bird bath. Go buy some "No Rinse Body Wash"most places that sell camping stuff has it. And stand in front of the sink and wash all over with it there's very little water involved. In a lot of places dumping your tanks and filling up with water is cheap or free, I live in the desert of southern Arizona in the winter and waters expensive and dumping cost money because there's so many of us down here doing that. Don't waste the water, and repurpose it when you can.

Tom
Old 01-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #10

Paper plates work well. They can be put in camp fire.

If permissible, wash other dishes in pan and dumped. Use biodegradable soap.

Take outside showers, if permissible when dispersed camping.

We travel extensively in Mexico and RV parks utilize septic tanks. They state no paper into toilets. Paper is kept in plastic sack in trash can and either put into trash cans if at Forest Service or similar campground or burned (downwind) in campfire. This prevents clogging of black water drainage and a lot of cube feet of soggy paper in black tank

Carry a few 5 or six gallon plastic jerrycans that can be transported to a water point for refill.

We just buy garrafones (20 liter) of purified water in Mexico to fill water tank.

Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #11

You have more waste tank capacity then fresh water capacity.
Grey tank fills faster then black due to more usage...shower/sinks vs just toilet

Avg water usage is about 10 gallons per person per day...cooking/drinking, dish washing, showers, brushing teeth/washing face and parts. (more if NOT being conservative in usage)

45 gal fresh water.......4 days
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #12

Check your bathroom sink, mine goes to black.
Wash dishes and hands using outside shower water into home depot bucket, put out campfire at night with said water.

Holding tanks are the limit, you can always bring fresh water and top off your fresh tank.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:20 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
If you boondock a very long period of time what do you about the black tank. We are wanting to live in our coach while building a home and have electric and water, but no septic yet. Any suggestions other than packing it up and go dump every few days or so.
ccooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccooper View Post
If you boondock a very long period of time what do you about the black tank. We are wanting to live in our coach while building a home and have electric and water, but no septic yet. Any suggestions other than packing it up and go dump every few days or so.
Rent a porta potty or dig a hole and put an outhouse over it.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water