Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2016, 10:15 PM   #1

Grey Water & Urine Question

Thanks for checking my post. I had someone ask me this question and I honestly had no idea how to answer it. I was hoping someone here could help me out with this. I have someone who is interested in purchasing a composting toilet but wants to divert the liquids (urine) to his then combined black and grey holding tank. The solids (poo) would be held and discarded in the composting toilet.

If the solids and liquids do not combine that is not sewage. Being urine is sterile would it be a candidate to place in your grey water holding tank? Would there be any smells he would need to worry about? Does anyone here have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Chris
Chris Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #2

For many many years RVs only had ONE waste holding tank

Grey waste can be nasty due to food particles, sloughed skin cells, grease/oils, soap scum etc.
What's a little urine going to hurt.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #3

Urine is NOT sterile, contrary to some frequent misconceptions. Mixing it with gray water means it has to be disposed of as you would black water. And it does produce odors, which can be reduced with chemical additives. Odor shouldn't be an issue inside if your plumbing has proper venting.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #4

I recommend you review these:

Composting Toilet

for some good ideas and advice regarding composting toilets. Should help answer lots of your questions.
VACHZHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Urine is not sterile. IE: a bladder infections among many other diseases.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
Urine is NOT sterile, contrary to some frequent misconceptions. Mixing it with gray water means it has to be disposed of as you would black water. And it does produce odors, which can be reduced with chemical additives. Odor shouldn't be an issue inside if your plumbing has proper venting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Urine is not sterile. IE: a bladder infections among many other diseases.
True, but it's not like it contains as much bacteria as feces or grey water that has been sitting around does. Urine has no more bacteria than the rest of our bodies do.

The main problem that I have with a composting toilet is keeping the liquids separate from solids. Not every trip to the bathroom is for just "#1" or "#2" Sometimes you need to do both and switching things around or keeping things separate can be problematic. Not to mention, sometimes #2 isn't always "solid". That would be my concern about the composting toilet but from a bacteriological point of view, I don't see how urine mixing with bacteria laden grey water is a problem.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
The main problem that I have with a composting toilet is keeping the liquids separate from solids.
Self admitted RV Newbie (as we all were at one time), do not think that the composting toilet designers haven't also realized this is an issue, and worked it out somehow.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Self admitted RV Newbie (as we all were at one time), do not think that the composting toilet designers haven't also realized this is an issue, and worked it out somehow.
The composting designs that I have seen all have levers that direct different things to different places but you need to make the switch before you start doing whatever it is that you are doing and switching mid-stream (pardon the pun) is not always easy. If the designers have worked out a solution, I'd be interested.

As for being a "Newbie", I just don't want anyone to think I'm an expert when I'm actually not. Some people just want people to think that they are experts when they are not.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:58 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I don't see how urine mixing with bacteria laden grey water is a problem.

That's good because I don't think there is a man alive who has not taken a leak in the shower.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #10

One issue with composting is that some of the manufactures say it takes 2 weeks to break down the #2.

If you are fulltimer you need to store bucket A and use bucket B for 2 weeks. Otherwise you are just dumping a week and 6 days of "#2" in the trash.

Weekend campers will have homework.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
If the designers have worked out a solution, I'd be interested.
https://sustainable-solutions.info/u...sting-toilets/

Good reviews on the two being sold there.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #12

When on BLM land where your allowed to dump gray on the ground you can only dump gray if you kitchen sink and dishwasher is not plumbed to the gray tank. BLM considers those sources to be black sources. Only the washing machine, shower and bath sinks are considered gray sources.

Most RV would require replumbing to allow this.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most RV's have perfectly suitable holding tank systems. What is your friends compelling reason to reinvent the wheel ? Is the holding tank (s) broken or need more capacity ?
Old 06-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not really. I found a plastic tub/basin that fits in the larger sink side, and wash dishes into it and dump outside where allowed.

If I am somewhere far from civilization that I am very unlikely to be easily seen outside my trailer and the weather is warm, I put on a pair of loose fitting athletic shorts and shower outside, where allowed.

In bear country in the Sierra Nevada range, for example, both are no-no's because the smells in a lot of soaps (flowery, sweet or food-like smells) and the food residue can attract bears.

Tags
water