Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
We saw a sign in Key West that said "You are closer to Cuba than a Walmart".

We stop at the BJs in FC to stock up and make a couple trips each winter there. Grocery prices are a tough to handle in the Keys. I can understand it though. Not easy shipping anything there.

Winn Dixie and Publix both have stores in the Keys. Grocery prices are some what higher than if you value shop on the main land but not bad. Part of the flavor of the keys is doing business with the small stores & moms & pops.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2015, 04:31 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Best grocery store in the keys is the Trading Post in Islamorada- Great Butcher Shop

Great Key Lime Pie! at the trading post, voted in the top 5 pies every year. Get 1 to Go

Yep! prices are up there-bring what you can from home, if you are price sensitive.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #31

Most Turnpike rest areas do not allow overnight parking, so the signs say.

However, there is only 1 Trooper that will bother you if you park overnight in the southern ones (Snapper Creek / Pompano), and he'll just ask you to move on. The others do not bother you, nor do they care. Someone said it was unsafe in these rest areas? How so? At night there is a Trooper within 100 yards of you.

I actually live right next to Snapper Creek and have considered putting people up in my Driveway, but I don't think my DW will allow it.

Robert is Here is pretty nice, but touristy. But there's also Knaus Berry Farm (no, not the same) - they have DELICIOUS cinnamon rolls, milk shakes, and pastries. The Knaus family is a variation of amish / mennonite, but I can't remember the exact sect. Burr's Berry Farm is nice too, but smaller and mostly for ice cream / shakes / fruit.

As far as camping - I've been told that no Walmart in Florida officially allows RV parking overnight. However, there is a brand new Walmart in Homestead off exit 5 (Biscayne Ave) with a huge under-utilized parking lot. This shows up on walmartatlas as not-allowed, but the app shows up as allowed.

A better bet is probably Snapper Creek.
TangoFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #32

There's plans to build a wall mart about 15 north of KW. Been a real big discussion on who will work there as living costs are high and even at 10per hr wages still won't pay the bills. Or so the argument goes!!! N
JC and Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC and Angie View Post
There's plans to build a wall mart about 15 north of KW. Been a real big discussion on who will work there as living costs are high and even at 10per hr wages still won't pay the bills. Or so the argument goes!!! N
Supposedly Walmart is now planning on building low cost housing on top of the store. Heard this through the rumor mill. I'm torn on this issue. It would be nice to have a another choice where to shop especially for groceries and might keep the Publix and Winn Dixie honest but don't like the rapid commercialization of the Keys and traffic problems it will cause. They are already talking about fixing the traffic light problems on Big Pine about 20 miles away from the proposed Walmart site on Rockland Key to prevent back ups.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #34

There is enough low and lower middle class in Key west to staff the store, that I am sure.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #35

The Hotel industry has issues with help in the Keys. Most of the help comes from Miami on the few bus's that run.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The Hotel industry has issues with help in the Keys. Most of the help comes from Miami on the few bus's that run.
Yes, they want to pay minimum wage in a place where you are lucky to find an apartment for $3000 a month.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Since I am interested in possibly getting as far as Key West this winter, can we get back on topic? I really don't need the entire run down on S. FL and KW geoeconomics.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Since I am interested in possibly getting as far as Key West this winter, can we get back on topic? I really don't need the entire run down on S. FL and KW geoeconomics.
Sorry I guess we did get off topic. When do you plan to be in the Keys? Jan. & Feb. can be difficult to find a site without reservations.

Overnight parking is not legal in Monroe county and might get a knock at the door by the sheriff. The state parks book months ahead of time but sometimes you can luck out with a cancellation. https://www.boydscampground.com/ is the closest CG to Key West. Have not been there in years so I can't really comment on how it is.

Don't try to take a large MH or camper into old town Key West as the streets are very narrow and crowded.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'd just be wandering that way, but probably late Feb. It's one of those places that I just gotta see while I can. No real plans now, then, or after, you know? Just a list of places I want to visit and experience.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I'd just be wandering that way, but probably late Feb. It's one of those places that I just gotta see while I can. No real plans now, then, or after, you know? Just a list of places I want to visit and experience.
Military? Navy Key West has a huge camp ground.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #41
mdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFox View Post
Military? Navy Key West has a huge camp ground.
Open to retired DOD civilians too...
mdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #42

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Nope, not .mil. That's ok, those folks deserve the benefits of their service. I'll find somewhere I can slide into for a handful of days. I'm not looking for long term camping, and can hover about the mainland until I find space.

Like I said, no plans, but I didn't include that I'm not in any kind of rush. I gotta visit relatives all along the southern edge of the US before I get close enough to FLA to begin to be concerned.

But I'm glad someone started this topic in boondocking otherwise I might not have seen it at all.