Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 01:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
That's about as ridiculous as saying that MHs are notorious for burning to the ground leaving nothing but a frame and ashes.

50K miles would probably work out better in a MH towing a car, say a Jeep or some such, than a travel trailer.
At some point, I would love to have a MH and tow my 4x4, but I'm not in a position to do that right now with my primary work situation. I am also wary about losing my house/office/studio if something happens with the engine or drivetrain. If something happens to my tow vehicle, I can always rent a truck, or get a loaner from the dealership. MHs are awesome, though.
DavisEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 10:35 AM   #16

You need to rethink that last one you will find it very hard to get anyone to loan you from a dealership or rent any truck which you can tow with.... Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
You need to rethink that last one you will find it very hard to get anyone to loan you from a dealership or rent any truck which you can tow with.... Dusty
Very true! My current business has a really good relationship with our dealer/sponsor, but I would definitely need to consider what would happen if I am in another state!
DavisEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:24 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The major car rental companies can rent out 250/2500 and 350/3500 pickups with tow packages (my Ram 2500 diesel was originally owned by Hertz rent-a-car), but I think it's very risky to assume they will be fifth wheel equipped.

Just thinking out loud on this line.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:23 PM   #19

Most rental companies will only allow you to tow their trailers if they rent them.... Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:05 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
>>> How long would a system like that run everything, or would it? I have read that you need the generator to run the A/C. My biggest concern is if I left my dog in the trailer and it lost power. I read somewhere about a system that kicks the A/C on at temp limits, but would a solar/battery system power it? <<<

No, solar wont do any of that and I would not want to be your dog... Solar only charges your batteries (some). The batteries run 12 v stuff and 110 stuff only if you have an inverter.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:35 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm curious if you have talked to an accountant or tax person about using an RV for business.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #22

Sounds to me that you really need to reconsider the MH angle, and tow your new pickup behind it--easy thing to get done. That way, you have the equipment/office in the MH, you can get a gen-start tied into thermostat, and you can have everything you need in the pickup in the camper shell. Solar can also be added anytime by a competent company.
I also don't think a TT will stand up to the miles/lifestyle you have--altho many will disagree with me on this.
And, if someone spots your TT or MH sitting in a boondock situation, without evidence of you being around, I don't think it will survive...
And a good CPA on the tax angle is a necessity.
Hope you get it worked out.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A Travel Trailer, when you already own the truck, is the most affordable way to go full-time.

With those kind of annual miles (50K+), you would be smart to consider that the RV's frame and axles must be top of the line.. (AirStream, Dutchman Denali, etc.). And if not "chasing mild temps" look at spending the $ for a 4 season RV (enclosed belly, tank warmers, and extra insulation)

If the RV will be unattended too much, you will surely want to consider mods to the doors, windows, and exterior lock sets to discourage the opportunistic criminal.

TT's with a built-in generator are less common compared to other RV styles, but you can add one, or carry one in the truck bed and power the RV by shore power cord.

And, with a TT, you can easily rent a U-HAUL box truck in one of many sizes to move the RV, when your truck is not available (maint, distance, etc)...not doing that with a 5th wheel RV.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
With those kind of annual miles (50K+), you would be smart to consider that the RV's frame and axles must be top of the line.. (AirStream, Dutchman Denali, etc.).
Add Outdoors RV to that list. You might have to come out West to find them, furthest Eastern US dealer seems to be Denver.

With those kinds of miles, you must learn how to do your own maintenance. The wheel hubs are the first thing that come to mind, changing a flat tire also might not be avoided.