Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #1

How do you avoid getting stuck - or get unstuck?

I dry-camp all the time, generally on pavement, though, on my job sites. Right now I'm stuck with my drive wheels in a bit of mud - not a lot, just enough to keep me from going anywhere - in the same pine woods I was in last weekend with no problem. Fortunately, help will be arriving in the morning. Meanwhile, I would like to hear your experiences and advice on how to get unstuck when boondocking off road.
I did manage to back up about 8 feet, because I had some plastic stuff I'd salvaged with intent to use it as insulation - I made like snowshoes for the drive wheel. So I am now lined up better for a truck to tow me out. It's a lovely spot, I just don't want to be here permanently.
Gypsy Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chains are always an option. We take our rig to the mountains skiing regularly, and there are times when conditions are deep and we must chain up to get around. We also carry kitty litter to throw under the tires when we park on ice.

When we go to the sand dunes however, I stay on the pavement.

Good luck with the mud.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't tried this on a motorhome, but I have a set of "Mud Chains" for a rear wheel drive car. This is basically a single chain with a leather strap. The chain is over the tire and the leather goes through the holes in the wheel and you connect the two ends together like a belt on your pants.
So, after you are stuck you put several of these on the exposed part of the tire/wheels and drive a short distance to firm ground. You can not drive any distance or at speed with them on.
I used them once when a car was stuck in snow and it got me out. I never thought of using them on the motorhome until you asked.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Jane
I dry-camp all the time, generally on pavement, though, on my job sites. Right now I'm stuck with my drive wheels in a bit of mud - not a lot, just enough to keep me from going anywhere - in the same pine woods I was in last weekend with no problem. Fortunately, help will be arriving in the morning. Meanwhile, I would like to hear your experiences and advice on how to get unstuck when boondocking off road.
I did manage to back up about 8 feet, because I had some plastic stuff I'd salvaged with intent to use it as insulation - I made like snowshoes for the drive wheel. So I am now lined up better for a truck to tow me out. It's a lovely spot, I just don't want to be here permanently.
Hey there neighbor, (fellow Texan not far from you)

Don't really know your rig but we are a 1 ton and 5 ver and I'm sourcing a winch for the TV.
15k Warn and a snatch block should get us out of most sticky situations.
Don't know if that would be feasible for motor homes.
Good luck hope you get out.

Can't believe we've gotten enough rain to make a mud hole!
RollinThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #5

Hello... I take my class C to the sand dunes, desert, and Mexican derert quite often. I am pretty good at getting stuck, unstuck and preventing both. My tips are: Always keep a good momentum and if you have to stop, try to find an area that has a downhill and point that direction. If you think your going to get to a potential stuck area, stop while you are safe and scope it out and get a plan together BEFORE you enter it (what are your ways out, what can i stick under the tires, what do i have to dig out, etc). Also if your going to stop in sand or mud, get set up and lay down some wood or something where you plan to stop and drive up on it BEFORE you park . Pre planning getting stuck is actually a good thing and you can get out really quick when you already know what your getting into. Also always try to keep your tires straight. Turning your wheels will turn it into a plow. My essentials before these areas include, a long shovel (not some little army one cuz who wants to bend down), two 2x10 that are about 3' in length, and a nice LONG tow strap! I would also advise mounting a tow hook to your front frame and keeping a reciever ball with you even when your not towing. This will help the tow strap at wierd angles not to destroy your rig. Good luck.
KUZN EDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
If you plan on getting stuck now and again you might want to buy a set of Maxtrax http://www.maxtrax.com.au US supplier Dirty Parts or similar
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can try letting most of the air out of the drive tires. This works in sand, I'm not sure about different kinds of mud. Just make sure you have a compressor to put the air back in once you're unstuck.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only way I know to avoid getting stuck is to know the land you are parked on.

And when it comes to getting unstuck..... Coach net.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #9

In 5.5 years I got my 5er and truck stuck once. I got out with help from a very expensive tow truck.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
In 5.5 years I got my 5er and truck stuck once. I got out with help from a very expensive tow truck.

7 years, class a, One time, Coach Net paid for the tow truck which is why I said Coach Net above. Only time I have called them.

(That is what I get for playing rescue ranger,, Wife had a flat tire, my car was in shop (Getting tow hardware applied) so I took the motor home to rescue her)
Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewilli View Post
We also carry kitty litter to throw under the tires when we park on ice.
Me too! I got stuck on the ice a few days ago and was glad I had a bag of cat litter in the closet.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat View Post
Me too! I got stuck on the ice a few days ago and was glad I had a bag of cat litter in the closet.
But with eleven cats I'll bet you had a LOT of litter!

I've never tried litter as all we use is the clumping stuff and it turns "greasy" when wet so I don't think it would help much.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Jane View Post
Jane,

You don't say what you are driving, that really does not matter a great deal. You also don't say where you are, and that does matter some.
About a hundred years ago (more or less), I used to do a lot of trucking through uninhabited forests. I never left the pavement without:
A second spare
An ax
A shovel
A long lead (serious coil of line or chain)
A cable hoist (come-along)

Something you have to know.. Very Important to know ahead of time..
Where on the vehicle can you pull and not hurt something?
If you don't know this now, find someone that does and learn that.

A cable hoist (e.g. Harbor Fright 30329) will pull even a very heavy vehicle far enough to get to good traction. But it may not be long enough to get to something well enough grounded for pulling.
A long lead is often needed to get to something that you can pull on.
A shovel is used to dig a slope in front of the wheels so it it easier to climb out of the holes that the wheels have made, it always a good thing to have and you have have to use it with -
An ax to cut a log that you put in the hole you dug so you have something solid enough to pull on.
The second spare is nice to have if you will be out of cell phone range.

This kit will get you out of almost anything (It never failed me). It might not be fast, but when help can't be called, that does not matter.

Matt
Old 03-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #14

If I am pulling into an unfamilar area that isn't pavement I stop and walk the area. Areas that are solid when dry can become very soft when wet as the OP found out.
I drove thru a snow storm a couple of years ago and was amazed at the traction the MH had. Was not happy when the wipers decided they did not want to work any more. I was along side the road trying to get them to work, then finally hooked a rope to them and worked them manually! Got me down to lower elevation and out of the storm.
Letting some air out of all of the tires does help when in the mud. I 4 wheel frequently with my Dakota and this really helps for climbing big rocks also.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote