Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #43

Hello elkhornsun - I mentioned 440 ah capacity using 4 6-volt batteries. The Trojan batteries are rated at 220 ah when two are placed in series to form a 12-volt battery. So the 440 ah capacity is at 12 volts.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy View Post
Hello elkhornsun - I mentioned 440 ah capacity using 4 6-volt batteries. The Trojan batteries are rated at 220 ah when two are placed in series to form a 12-volt battery. So the 440 ah capacity is at 12 volts.
Sorry, amp hours in series don't add. You have 12V at 220 AH. If you parallel them you would have 6Volts at 440AH. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirckhoffs_law Just the really dusty old electronics schooling coming out.
TomJ
2Tmblweeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2006 Journey 34Y and have 3 12 volt house batteries. Has anybody been able to fit 4 - 6 volt batteries in the battery tray without major modification?
I have a 360 watt solar system and seems adequate- generally fully charged again by noon.
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
I was able to fit 4 6volt batts into my Horizon. I'm betting they both use the same battery tray. Get out the tape measure!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #47

2Tmbleweeds - the 6- volt Trojan batteries are rated at 220 amp hours... that rating means 2 in series (12 volts) have a 220 amp hour capacity. I have 4 6-volts, 2 pairs of 2 in series with the 2 pairs in parallel, for a total capacity of 440 ah.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy View Post
2Tmbleweeds - the 6- volt Trojan batteries are rated at 220 amp hours... that rating means 2 in series (12 volts) have a 220 amp hour capacity. I have 4 6-volts, 2 pairs of 2 in series with the 2 pairs in parallel, for a total capacity of 440 ah.
That's the exact same setup we have, except with AGM batteries. 4 batteries (6V, 220 ah) , hooked up 2 pair in series (giving two 'sets' of 12V, 220 ah) and then those 2 pairs hooked up in parallel. Gives a total of 440 ah at 12V.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #49

My husband, Eric, worked with AM Solar to design our solar panel/battery system. Here's his write up on the system on our blog: Walkabout With Wheels: A Quick Summary of Our Solar System
GinnyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
That's the exact same setup we have, except with AGM batteries. 4 batteries (6V, 220 ah) , hooked up 2 pair in series (giving two 'sets' of 12V, 220 ah) and then those 2 pairs hooked up in parallel. Gives a total of 440 ah at 12V.
WheelingIt... both you and Groovy are running 4 batteries. I'm curious whether your battery trays were large enough to hold them or did you have to do some mods to accommodate?

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post

WheelingIt... both you and Groovy are running 4 batteries. I'm curious whether your battery trays were large enough to hold them or did you have to do some mods to accommodate?

Thanks,
Glenn
Our coach came that way, so the trays were large enough from the start. Our only change has been to upgrade from the original Interstate batteries to Lifeline AGMs, which were a drop-in size replacement.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #52

We have 560 watts of solar and we have 4 Lifeline 6CT batteries that give us 600 amp hours. It has been plenty for us.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Our coach came that way, so the trays were large enough from the start. Our only change has been to upgrade from the original Interstate batteries to Lifeline AGMs, which were a drop-in size replacement.
Golly, thanks for the info on the AGM 6CT batteries! I had no idea I could get 600 amp hours in my battery tray! I have a 2006 Journey. Are they about $100 a piece? I have 360 watts of solar, so when changing out the batteries, looks like I will need some more solar as well. The AGM 's are sealed right? I won't have to buy a watering system for them.
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #54

MandG-Fun - Our battery compartment in the basement of our fifth wheel was large enough for four 12v Group 24 batteries, but was not tall enough for four 6v golf cart batteries (the footprint of those two battery types is the same but the heights are different).

The dealership where we bought our fifth wheel took the bottom out of the battery compartment and welded in a steel support rod the holds the batteries a little lower so they fit.

There are some pics here, about halfway down the page: RV Solar - A Guide to Installing Solar Panels on your RV
Old 04-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Kane View Post
Golly, thanks for the info on the AGM 6CT batteries! I had no idea I could get 600 amp hours in my battery tray! I have a 2006 Journey. Are they about $100 a piece? I have 360 watts of solar, so when changing out the batteries, looks like I will need some more solar as well. The AGM 's are sealed right? I won't have to buy a watering system for them.
Not sure if you meant to quote me, but we only have the 4CT and 440ah. But we did discover after the fact that we *could* have fit the taller 6CT batteries if we'd wanted in the same space. They are the same base size, just taller. So yes, as long as you have the height for them, you can fit them! Can't recall the cost.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #56

We have the 6ct's. They will set you back close to $400 each if you shop around.
They are taller and they just fit in our bay.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, solar