Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2010, 07:50 AM   #29

I agree, don't mix 6V and 12V combintaitons of batteries. They will try and equalize voltage wise, and the higher voltage set will discharge to the lower.

We set the themosatat at night to 55 degrees. We have 4 6V batteries. We set the thermostat to 68 in the daytime, and back down to 55 if we leave during the day.

I run the generator for about an hour a day - our inverter charges at 100 amps - which drops down to about 25 amps at about an hour, and then I shut the generator off.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #30

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think I will add one more of the same 12 volt brand battery for now.
Don't know if I will get stuck in low twenties weather or not, just wanted to be prepared for the worst if a cold front comes through.
Are there any auxiliary propane heat systems that are safe to use indoors?
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
I would have no problem with 55 degree's, DW wants nothing under 70 !
using a Suburban forced air heater.
Your Suburban heater will easily keep your coach over 70. A possibly better savings can be accomplished by replacing your wife. OH I AM KIDDING.

NOT
Greg Lepage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know... but she's been around so long I'm just starting to get used to her. Ha Ha
Old 12-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #33

iRV2 No Limits Club
I just purchased an Esper Diesel heater 22W on high 8W on low. Espar | Worldwide Leader in Marine & Vehicle Heaters
Made by the same folks that made the gas heaters for VW.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #34

We used to boondock around Death Valley in the winter. Added a second battery for this. Then the EX went on a C-pap at night. Had to add a third just for her. Then would run generator and solar to charge during the day. First trip with just 2 batterys and her C-pap woke up cold in the morning.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Lepage View Post
Your Suburban heater will easily keep your coach over 70. A possibly better savings can be accomplished by replacing your wife. OH I AM KIDDING.

NOT
This is the upside of a wife with hot flashes. Makes for great snuggeling on those cold nights.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FWIW, we have 3 group 24 Delco Voyager deep cycle batteries and we set the t-stat at 67 at night and have plenty of battery power in the AM. Now we don't routinely camp in really cold weather but have been in temps in the mid to low 20's. And that is even if we use the inverter to watch a little TV for 2 hours or so at night after we shut down the genset.

Does your coach have double pane windows? That will make a lot of difference.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
This is the upside of a wife with hot flashes. Makes for great snuggeling on those cold nights.
Yes I agree, the only problem is I haven't figured out how to get her to have one on demand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Does your coach have double pane windows? That will make a lot of difference.
No dual pane This is my 1st coach, and I am learning so much about how all the electric and gas accessories work. When I read about some of the complex electrical problems some of the newer coaches have, I'm glad I have an older model to start out with. I am planning on adding a 3rd battery for a total of 246 amps. Not allot but hopefully enough to make it through the night.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
It has to be really, really cold out at night in order for us to keep our furnace on...and we try to avoid areas that get that cold! If we do have to keep the furnace on at night, we turn it down as low as it will go.

We have a down comforter that keeps us toasty warm in bed. When we get up, we'll turn the furnace on for a quick warm up and then turn on the blue flame heater to keep it warm.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
keeping warmer in winter with carpets

I recently purchased my 1st (used 1993) MH and was amazed how well kept the carpet was. It looked new under the numerous rugs the seller had on the floor. They said I could keep the throw rugs. I figured they were to just keep the carpet looking new and make it easy to shake out the dirt.

Well, now the wind chills are 20 degrees here and night time temps are regularly in the freezing range. My Winne floor is OK on insulation but not when it gets real cold. I now realize the reason they used the carpets. Just like putting a carpet on a cold floor at home, if you do the same for your RV you will see improvement keeping the cold out of your coach. I am looking for more cheap rugs to add another layer.

I have not seen much about using layers of carpets in the "keeping warm" posts and wanted to pass this along. Anyone else put layers of rugs on the floor of your coach to keep warm? They do make a difference in my case.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #40

I recarpeted our old MH and went with the 1/2" pad under it. Really made a difference around the engine cover up front.
There are camping heaters that are rated for use indoors as they have low oxygen shut-offs. I would still be leary of leaving these run at night.
I have used a propane heater and a propane lantern inside when awake. We do have carbon monoxide detectors in our MH also.
We use sleeping bags opened up over us in really cold weather, leave the heat set at 55', turn it up when we get up.
Harbor Freight has a 45 watt solar system that is easy to set up on the ground and comes with controller, brackets, plus 2 flourescent lights. With coupons the price is from $149 to $169 dollars. I do have extra coupons that are still good.
In the vintage rv section I posted about my installation of 2 of these units on my MH.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman View Post
I recarpeted our old MH and went with the 1/2" pad under it. Really made a difference around the engine cover up front.
There are camping heaters that are rated for use indoors as they have low oxygen shut-offs. I would still be leary of leaving these run at night.
I have used a propane heater and a propane lantern inside when awake. We do have carbon monoxide detectors in our MH also.
We use sleeping bags opened up over us in really cold weather, leave the heat set at 55', turn it up when we get up.
Harbor Freight has a 45 watt solar system that is easy to set up on the ground and comes with controller, brackets, plus 2 flourescent lights. With coupons the price is from $149 to $169 dollars. I do have extra coupons that are still good.
In the vintage rv section I posted about my installation of 2 of these units on my MH.
Thanks for the tips Leadman. That padding will help, my engine cover has no padding at all so I lay several carpets over it. I will look for your post on the solar panel install. Currently I have electric hookup but plan on being off grid after I sell my home.

I also use a propane portable. I use the Portable Buddy mounted in my stairwell. I run the (green hose, no extra filter needed) out the kitchen window to a 20lb tank and fill the gaps in the window with pipe insulation cut to fit. I use it when I am in the coach but I have grown confident that I could sleep with it on, although they warn not to do so. That warning eliminates any possibly of law suit from the heater catching something in the RV on fire. I leave a roof vent open a little for oxygen. The low setting will heat for 110 hours on a tank and I could add a second tank with auto crossover so I don't run out at a bad time. Of course I could put a fitting on my 100 lb tank for my Buddy hose but then I add the problem of moving the coach to fill. The portable is close to 100 percent efficient so for me it is the most economical.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
I just purchased an Esper Diesel heater 22W on high 8W on low. Espar | Worldwide Leader in Marine & Vehicle Heaters
Made by the same folks that made the gas heaters for VW.
How is that unit installed? Did you install it your self?