Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2022, 03:34 PM   #1

I have everything now to avoid the generator

When staying at Harvest Host locations or even at a Cracker Barrel or Walmart, I have having to use the generator when it is quiet outside. Today I made the last purchase so we can skip the ginny when making our infrequent boondocking stops. First I bought a non electric coffee maker (I do not like percolators) and today I order a battery operated Waterpik. We are complete.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2022, 04:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charming View Post
First I bought a non electric coffee maker (I do not like percolators) and today I order a battery operated Waterpik. We are complete.
Good for you! You'll be a nice neighbor.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:10 PM   #3

Quote:
When staying at Harvest Host locations or even at a Cracker Barrel or Walmart, I have having to use the generator when it is quiet outside. Today I made the last purchase so we can skip the ginny when making our infrequent boondocking stops. First I bought a non electric coffee maker (I do not like percolators) and today I order a battery operated Waterpik. We are complete.
Certainly a lot cheaper than trying to install enough solar/batteries to run everything. BZ!
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:31 PM   #4

Which coffee pot did you buy? We are pretty much just running the generator to brew ours when boondocking. We tired the battery powered one, but only get one cup per battery charge...

2011 Fleetwood Terra 34DS
Pretaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:36 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Digi tank/battery monitor went dead

Monitor which shows battery status, black and gray tanks levels and generator hours, is located over the doorway of my 2016 Bounder 35K. Called Precision Circuits who built it and tech there said to measure voltage at pins 5 and 6. Got only 4.2 volts. He said I needed to buy a new monitor at $126 which I did. Plug it in, still dark screen. After repeated e-mails indicating all fuses were good he offered "..you lost the 12v ground."
Did not offer to explain how to look for or even where to start looking for the ground. Very poor customer support I thought.

Anyone with a similar issue? Coach only has 22,000 miles and monitor worked fine parked inside my quonset. Then one day nothing.
wayno347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:38 PM   #6

Quote:
By what amount do those two items reduce energy consumption from the batteries compared to what was being consumed prior to their purchase?

Were you at the limit of available battery capacity from the use of lights, water pump, TV, refrigerator, furnace and the ever popular CPAP?
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretaco View Post
Which coffee pot did you buy? We are pretty much just running the generator to brew ours when boondocking. We tired the battery powered one, but only get one cup per battery charge...
I bought the Melita pour over.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
By what amount do those two items reduce energy consumption from the batteries compared to what was being consumed prior to their purchase?

Were you at the limit of available battery capacity from the use of lights, water pump, TV, refrigerator, furnace and the ever popular CPAP?
For most of our electrical needs we must either plug in or run the generator. The inverter only powers lights, ceiling fans, water pump, etc. We don't live off the grid and neither of us needs a CPAP. If the weather is extreme where we must have heat or ac we are plugged in somewhere.

When we are traveling we do not spend multiple days without electric. I am trying to reduce the use of the generator, which we need for my coffee maker and the waterpik. Our refrigerator will run on propane.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretaco View Post
If you don’t wanna fire up the genny, or draw down batteries using your inverter, just click on the stovetop, boil some water and use this to make 6 cups of the absolute best Joe that stays warm for more than 30 minutes:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2D335B78-4207-4D08-9FE4-66977DDC5C2E.png
Views:	68
Size:	515.8 KB
ID:	371750  
Old 07-23-2022, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Let us all know how that works out when it's 90 degrees outside. LOL I understand what you are saying but when staying in a Walmart parking lot who are you keeping up?
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 12:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Your Waterpik draws enough that you can't run it on the inverter?
Old 07-23-2022, 03:08 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
Your Waterpik draws enough that you can't run it on the inverter?

I don’t think he actually has an inverter.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I don’t think he actually has an inverter.
I think she meant converter.
Old 07-23-2022, 04:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
Let us all know how that works out when it's 90 degrees outside. LOL I understand what you are saying but when staying in a Walmart parking lot who are you keeping up?
She said if the weather is extreme they plug in somewhere.

Also, staying in WalMarts you could be keeping other overnighters up! We would never run a generator all night long.

Tags
generator