Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 06:27 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Inverter wiring

I plan on connecting a samlex ssw2000 inverter to the shore power connection of the RV. Yes I will turn off the converter when using the inverter. I was reading the manual and it states " Do not connect the power inverter to household or RV AC distribution wiring" Warning : Do not connect directly to AC distribution wiring. Does this mean I can not use in the RV. Does this mean can not hook directly to the fuse panel , but can connect output of inverter to RV shore power AC input.
JWLSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 07:08 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I connect my inverter to the shore power cord as you describe. Converter turned off to eliminate a charging loop (a $15 wireless switch inserted to the AC power cord to the converter).

I think the caveat messaged is regarding hardwiring into an existing circuit breaker panel or similar.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Unless I am missing something here, the AC output from the inverter should connect directly to the input side of the AC distribution panel, and should be "protected" by the main circuit breaker in that panel. The language you cite from your manual sounds erroneous to me. That's where the inverter should be connected.

Quote:
I was reading the manual and it states " Do not connect the power inverter to household or RV AC distribution wiring" Warning : Do not connect directly to AC distribution wiring.
UNLESS they are trying to tell you NOT to connect the inverter's AC output directly to an outlet, or series of outlets, without first going through the breaker box?

In any event, the manual is not very clear, IMO.

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #4

That is exactly what it means. Do not connect direct to wiring without going through the panel.

Ed
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This inverter is a "Desk Top" inverter. It is intended to be wall mounted and contains two outlet plugs for the AC connection.

The statement in the manual is an attempt to prevent having the situation where the shore power lines are connected to the inverter output lines. This would be two AC sources tied together.....very bad.

The inverter is designed to allow you to plug in your desired device directly.
Connecting your RV to the inverter using the Shore Power cord is questionable because of how the common & ground wire may be bonded.
This is a quote from the manual:

The inverter is engineered to be connected directly to standard electrical and electronic equipment in the manner described above. Do not connect the power inverter to household or RV AC distribution wiring. Do not connect the power inverter to any AC load circuit in which the Neutral conductor is connected to Ground (Earth) or to the Negative of the DC (battery) source. WARNING: Do not connect directly to AC distribution wiring. This inverter is NOT grid interactive.

Regards,

Dan
Old 06-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #6

My 2000 watt Inverter isn't a Samlex brand but I plug my shore power cord into it all the time and everything seems to work fine. I can even run my microwave off of the inverter.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafordguy View Post
My 2000 watt Inverter isn't a Samlex brand but I plug my shore power cord into it all the time and everything seems to work fine. I can even run my microwave off of the inverter.
That's is probably fine cause you cannot connect your power cord to external line power and to the inverter at the same time, thus not blowing anything up...

If you order a xantrax interter you can also order a transfer switch which allows a easy change of power from shore power to inverter but even then you got to remember to disconnect the converter.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
every thing went well and works as expected. So now the question is were to put the inverter remote. The inverter is in the basement compartment to the left of the door. Just above that is the bench table. There is light switches on the back side of the bench as you enter the RV. If I want near the top of bench back means removing a panel. The other option is lower near the floor. If I had a longer cable I could run it to the fridge area in the wire tunnel. Any other ideas on were to put the inverter remote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #9

I put mine in the main switch panel by the main door. Kind of a pain running the little control wire but not to bad.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:33 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Any pictures
Old 06-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #11

Not currently but I'll take some pictures tonight and post them later.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #12

Here is where I mounted the remotes for the inverters. The top right is for the 2000 watt and the smaller white remote panel is for the 1000 watt for the residential frig.

The inverters are mounted in the front storage where the batteries are located.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-16 17.30.43.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	97499   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-16 17.32.39.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	97500  

Old 06-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I really want to get a "whole trailer" inverter so my wife can use the hair dryer in the morning without me starting the generator. That and a few other things would be nice to run in the morning here and there when boondocking.

Is there a "how to" blog somewhere with good detail? I was considering getting a self contained 2000watt unit and plugging shore power to it but understand that if it has a GFI plug it won't work. I'd like to see the different options for this kind of install described to the layman. I can learn most anything but illustrations with descriptions is great.

Anyone know of a blog or post on this that is comprehensive?

Thanks
Darren
Old 07-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Unless I am missing something here, the AC output from the inverter should connect directly to the input side of the AC distribution panel, and should be "protected" by the main circuit breaker in that panel. The language you cite from your manual sounds erroneous to me. That's where the inverter should be connected.

UNLESS they are trying to tell you NOT to connect the inverter's AC output directly to an outlet, or series of outlets, without first going through the breaker box?

In any event, the manual is not very clear, IMO.

\ken

Bumps, you are wrong, the manual is correct. It has to do with the way the inverter is grounded, floating. If you hook the common wire to the white bus bar in your RV you will probably smoke the inverter. Some inverters can be hard wired. I hard wired mine and used a separate sub panel and transfer switch. I leave the circuits I am not using with the Xantrex in the coach panel, those I am going to use I move to the new sub panel. I run a fused 120 line from the current coach panel to the new transfer switch. The inverter goes into the gen/inverter site on the switch and out goes to the sub panel.

When plugged in to 120 all circuits are powered via the 2nd transfer switch and sub panel. When the generator is the source the same happens. When the inverter is the source the only circuits powered are those in the sub panel. Common wires are kept separate and going to the the correct place via the transfer switch.

Tags
inverter, wiring